Holy water as spiritual warfare WMD?

• Thread starter Thread starter equinas5
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

equinas5

Recently, I have been pondering what are some of the WMD’s to be used in spiritual warfare?

Please chime in on how’d you analogize holy water as a spiritual WMD?

Uh, horsey, seems you might have been sipping a wee bit too much of the sacramental wine in pondering this one.

I voted for Holy Water as a lesser weapon. Nuclear arms are by definition not terribly discriminatory. It destroys everything in its blast radius. However, holy water can be very precise, causing harm only to a single intended target (demon). Besides, I don’t think God in His infinite wisdom would allow us nuclear-equivalend WMDs (Weapons of Moloch’s Destruction?? :D). Even against Satan, I would think that only the Archangels could handle something that powerful.

Dr. Colossus:
I voted for Holy Water as a lesser weapon. Nuclear arms are by definition not terribly discriminatory. It destroys everything in its blast radius. However, holy water can be very precise, causing harm only to a single intended target (demon). Besides, I don’t think God in His infinite wisdom would allow us nuclear-equivalend WMDs (Weapons of Moloch’s Destruction?? :D). Even against Satan, I would think that only the Archangels could handle something that powerful.
I agree.

My vote was for lesser degree - only because I believe the heavy hitters are things like the rosary, daily mass, Eucharistic Adoration, Stations of the Cross.

I suspect that if you can somehow get somebody to go to a Roman Catholic Church and intentionally bless themselves in with Holy Water it may do something.

When President Kennedy was shot, like many other children I felt sorry for that little boy on TV – John F. Kennedy, Jr. – who was holding his mother’s hand (he was smaller than me). He didn’t have his daddy any more.

When John F. Kennedy, Jr.'s airplane was missing, for some reason I thought just in case the Catholics are right I’m going over to All Saints Catholic Church and pray for them to be found alive. I went in the empty Church, blessed myself with Holy Water, said a simple prayer to Mary in front of all the candles, lit a candle and may have put a token donation in the poor box. Man was I crazy or what? Well, I always felt some child-like love for John F. Kennedy, Jr. (perhaps like so many other Americans my age). I know that is how miracles can happen. With Faith, Hope and Love. When they were found dead I thought to myself “well my praying didn’t help.” Perhaps it helped me instead.

I turned in the paperwork for RCIA / RCIC yesterday.

And I bless myself with the Holy Water every time I come to and leave Mass.

Someone recently in the Forums posted a thread like this one wondering if Holy Water REALLY wards of spiritual attacks.

I’m wondering where did this concept start and/or is it in the Bible or the Early Church Fathers?

In the war against sin and evil: the Mass, the Rosary, fasting, the Holy Eucharist, plenary indulgences, miraculous medal, brown scapular, sincere contrite prayer, true humility, and sincere confession are the real heavy hitters.

They can be the equivalent of the get out of jail free cards. They can get you out of Purgatory (maybe in record time) and in some cases save you from rotting in you know where for all eternity.

Holy water can only get you a partial indulgence which is cool for its uses but is definitely not in the same league as the above.
wc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back