Home blessing?

• Thread starter Thread starter dizzy_dave
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dizzy_dave

How often should a person have their home blessed? We had it done a couple years ago for the first time, I thought I heard on the radio once you should do this every year. Is that correct? If so why so often - does the blessing wear off?

In my church, we bless homes every year, if the family requests, right after the Feast of Theophany in January.

I remember my grandmother used have her house blessed every year and the priest would write names of the 3 Kings over the door.

Hope this helps…

When I was growing up, we also use to have our home blessed once a year in January. However, things were different back then with the parish community more centralized living within walking distance of each other and the church.

A few years ago we moved across country and upon signing up at the local parish I asked about home blessings? The deacon told me that due to the size of the parish (3,000+ families and growing) home blessings were done only ONCE and there was a waiting list – that was 22 months ago and we’re still waiting. I called a few times and was told that they haven’t forgotten about us and that we were still on the list.

Can any catholic bless a home with holy water and prayer, or can only a catholic priest bless the home?

40.png
Peacebee_u:
Can any catholic bless a home with holy water and prayer, or can only a catholic priest bless the home?
I believe any Catholic can sprinkle holy water around their home, but a complete blessing can only be done by a priest. One of the reasons for this is that the Home Blessing includes a prayer of exorcism, which should only be performed by a priest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back