Homeschooling: the new monastery

  • Thread starter Thread starter John655
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right after saying she wouldn’t do it, she does it!!! She has “heard” there are “some” good schools. In other words, through hearsay only, she is willing to admit that there might be some good Catholic schools. That’s how it reads.

Good Day all,
Through hearsay alone I am willing to admit that there are Catholic schools out there which are better than what I have personally experienced. Wow, quite a bash, there. All I know from my own personal experience is not good, *but *I am not saying that all Catholic schools are bad based on my extremely limited experience.

Next time, I’ll just stick with what I have personally experienced: All the Catholic schools I have personally experienced are not worth supporting. Does that work better for you?
 
oh well, it’s too bad that a pro-homeschooling thread has to be perceived as a anti-schooling thread.

so tired of it.

I guess the same thing happens when someone starts a pro Catholic school thread. All the public school parents perceive it as an anti public school thread.

Strangely, though, I, a homeschoooler, would not perceive a pro public school thread as an anti homeschool thread.

this is my last post on this thread.
I understand your thoughts here. My children attend Catholic school, and I often feel like I have to apologize for that choice to public school parents. I think that, often, people take it as “Public school wasn’t good enough for my child,” which is not at all how I feel!

I think people also react that way to home-schoolers, as though by homeschooling you are saying that the school system wasn’t good enough for your child… and by extension, that they are not doing enough for their kids. I think its’ part of our “Parenting as a Competitive Sport” culture. One-upsmanship seems to be big, especially where I live, when it comes to raising children.

In the end, it’s all about what you feel is right for your family. I have a friend whose kids are in public schools, and she didn’t want Catholic school, because se felt that religious ed. should be in the home. I personally wanted my kids to be immersed in a Catholic environment, as my hubby & I were, and we both felt it benefitted us throughout life. We also like some of the surrounding details of Catholic school – like the uniform!
 
I never implied that homeschooling parents have made the wrong choice. Quite the opposite, I claimed above their actions are often heroic.
What I have said, is that homeschoolers have an obligatoin to foster Catholic schools. If your local one is bad, find one that is good. And my experiece is, and browsing around this forum confirms it, that in general, homeschoolers’ biggest fault is that they continue to bash catholic schools in general.
I beg to differ~what started out as a positive compliment given to a parent who happens to homeschool, the bashing of homeschooling began. Alright, I get it, we have to support Catholic schools in one way or another…That being said, that has nothing to do with the topic of the op’s post…just sayin’🤷…Yes. my local one is bad, and the nearest is over an hour away, so I must apologize if I dont waste my time traveling and instead taking care of and educating my child in the faith instead of taking time away from her to run the roads for people who would most likely bash me for homeschooling anyway…🤷
 
The history of the Catholic church. Catholics sent their kids to catholic schools.
QUOTE]

I think you do need to back up this statement with some evidence. The phenomenon of all children leaving the home for school from 5-18 years old is a very modern phenomenon. “Education” used to be much more heterogenous and included things such as private tutoring and apprenticeships. And I believe that 5 years old is WAY too young to be sending children away from their parents… interestingly, somebody in another thread posted some interesting quotes from one of our Popes (I believe) about this matter. That is more about indoctrination (thank you government schools) than education.
 
Through hearsay alone I am willing to admit that there are Catholic schools out there which are better than what I have personally experienced. Wow, quite a bash, there. All I know from my own personal experience is not good, *but *I am not saying that all Catholic schools are bad based on my extremely limited experience.

Next time, I’ll just stick with what I have personally experienced: All the Catholic schools I have personally experienced are not worth supporting. Does that work better for you?
Here’s an analogy: Can you imagine what it would sound like if someone said: " I have heard that there are some good InsertEthnicGroupHere out there"? It is safe to assume it would be received as a racist comment.

mom24boys said:
“I beg to differ~what started out as a positive compliment given to a parent who happens to homeschool, the bashing of homeschooling began”

I have said that the priest in the first post was spot-on. I have said that homeschoolers are heroic. I have said that they have every right to choose to home school. But because I have simply quoted the canon law and I have pointed out one flaw of homeschoolers, I am bashing them?
 
Here’s an analogy: Can you imagine what it would sound like if someone said: " I have heard that there are some good InsertEthnicGroupHere out there"? It is safe to assume it would be received as a racist comment.

I have said that the priest in the first post was spot-on. I have said that homeschoolers are heroic. I have said that they have every right to choose to home school. But because I have simply quoted the canon law and I have pointed out one flaw of homeschoolers, I am bashing them?
Let’s consider your analogy: if you were the one talking about an ethnic group and just kept bringing up the flaw you have with “them” over and over? Look at your first post in this thread:
Home schooling parents deserve a tremendous amount of praise for what they are doing. They are often making great sacrifices to provide the best catholic education possible in today’s society. I think the analogy by the priest in the original post on this thread is spot on.
Having said that, and this is where home schoolers fail, they do not realize that homeschooling is not the ideal. It is the often the best option they have, but it is not how our children should be educated. Kids should be taught in catholic schools. This is the ideal. We should be demanding orthodox, affordable catholic schools at the parish level. As a catholic community we should strive for universal catholic schooling. The priests comments about home schooling being the modern day equivilant of Irish Monasteries is spot on. While we are extremely grateful the Irish monks preserved the richness of the faith in dark times and it provided a seed for a regeneration of Christian thinking that flowerd in the 11th though 13th centuries, we should remember that it was not an ideal way for Christendom to advance. The decay of society, along with the destruction of large swaths of Christendom by Islamic forces that took place during the period was not beneficial to the advancement of Christendom. The analogy is very good, but it needs to be carried to its logical conclusion.
I at least said that there were good Catholic schools out there, you just talk about “homeschoolers” with no qualifiers at all.
 
I would like to apologize to all the good moms and dads out there with children in public or catholic schools. I have to admit that I am one of those homeschool parents who made comments over the years which could be taken as a offensive.

Sorry!

These days a lot of us realize that we are blessed in what we do. It is a lot of work. We all do what we feel is best for our children. The family is the foundation of their education, regardless of which type of formal education they receive. May God bless us all.
 
St Francis, ok, you win. I will bow out of this.
May god bless you always.
 
This will be my one and only comment on this thread.

I have been homeschooling for 25 years now, and have at least another 4-5 to go. I do NOT have a problem with anyone sending their children to school. To homeschool was our personal choice, and, we have been in a position to do so, -(not everyone wants to, nor can).

I am saddened that anyone feels the need to debate the pros/cons of either sending children to school, or keeping them at home.

I sincerely pray that people respect each other’s decision to do what is best for their family and leave it at that.

Luv y’all. Joseph.
 
St Francis, ok, you win. I will bow out of this.
May god bless you always.
:o I wasn’t trying to “win”… God bless you too!

I will echo Geovet’s thoughts and say that I too have never meant to offend anyone with children in schools of any types.
 
I had a wonderful talk w/ my priest yesterday. He is a very wise and holy man. We were talking about some challenges my son has, but Father remarked that he had noticed during mass how reverently my son receives communion.

We were talking about the decline in morality in our society, and Father mentioned that after the fall of Rome, it was the monasteries that kept the Word of God alive in the Dark Ages by copying and preserving the texts of the Bible. He wondered if we were not entering another dark time, and if in this age, that the homeschool families may be the new monestaries. Father was so impressed w/ how well homeschool families knew their faith - he thought that the homeschool families would be the Tabernacles to keep the Word of God alive in the coming time of darkness. Isn’t that a marvelous, reassuring thought!!

Homeschooling can be so hard, but the rewards are eternal. I had to pass along this marvelous piece of wisdom. May the Lord bless the work of your hands.
I don’t think keeping the faith alive has anything to do with homeschooling. I think it has to do with families LIVING their faith–no matter where they school. I think it is a bit presumptuous to think that simply Catholic homeschooling is the only way that Catholics can teach their children their faith. I’m very supportive of homeschooling and homeschoolers. We are constantly reviewing where our children should be schooled. And while Monasteries were certainly one way the faith was passed on, it’s not like people weren’t Catholic during the “dark” ages. Infact, Dark Ages isn’t even used much anymore–as it’s not really true that people were somehow not intellectual during this time and infact backwards. If the people hadn’t remained Catholic during this time, it wouldn’t have mattered too much what the Monasteries were doing. The people WERE Catholic, though, and actually lived their faith because that’s all they knew–there was only the Catholic Church at this point. If more people did that today, we’d be in much better place.
 
I think it is a bit presumptuous to think that simply Catholic homeschooling is the only way that Catholics can teach their children their faith.
Then it’s a good thing that the OP didn’t say that it was. Neither did anyone else. 🤷 What exactly are you replying to…?
 
I think it is a bit presumptuous to think that simply Catholic homeschooling is the only way that Catholics can teach their children their faith.
Then it’s a good thing that the OP didn’t say that it was. Neither did anyone else. 🤷
 
Then it’s a good thing that the OP didn’t say that it was. Neither did anyone else. 🤷
I’m sorry, but the implication is there.
he thought that the homeschool families would be the Tabernacles to keep the Word of God alive in the coming time of darkness.
The Pastor could have said, look at all the faithful families living their faith–THESE faithful families irregardless of schooling choices] are keeping the Faith alive. It has very little to do with HOMESCHOOLING. It has everything to do with FAITHFUL FAMILIES. Homeschooling is wonderful. It is not comparable to monastaries. What does the Pastor think about other forms of schooling? Would he say the same thing to the family with public schooled kids? I somehow doubt it and that’s a shame, because it has nothing to do with the form of schooling. It has to do with living the faith at home.
 
I don’t think keeping the faith alive has anything to do with homeschooling. I think it has to do with families LIVING their faith–no matter where they school. I think it is a bit presumptuous to think that simply Catholic homeschooling is the only way that Catholics can teach their children their faith. I’m very supportive of homeschooling and homeschoolers. We are constantly reviewing where our children should be schooled. And while Monasteries were certainly one way the faith was passed on, it’s not like people weren’t Catholic during the “dark” ages. Infact, Dark Ages isn’t even used much anymore–as it’s not really true that people were somehow not intellectual during this time and infact backwards. If the people hadn’t remained Catholic during this time, it wouldn’t have mattered too much what the Monasteries were doing. The people WERE Catholic, though, and actually lived their faith because that’s all they knew–there was only the Catholic Church at this point. If more people did that today, we’d be in much better place.
You just argued my case that I stated earlier. In the dark ages, the monasteries were ONE important way that the faith was passed on. There were also many faithful Catholic families who played an important role as well. But they were spread out, harder to spot, less quantifiable. So while they ALSO preserved the faith, the monasteries had a role worth mentioning - a more visible role. In the same way, perhaps homeschoolers have a role - perhaps, like monasteries, we are ONE important way that the faith will be preserved. Because of the fact that we stick out like sore thumbs, our role is visible, quantifiable, while the other faithful Catholic families of today are harder to spot b/c of the fact that they are surrounded by similar looking non-faithful families. By your own admission, comparing homeschoolers to monasteries does not imply that they are the only way that the faith is preserved.

Sure the pastor COULD have complimented faithful families in general. But he was speaking to a homeschooler. He could’ve complimented the Knights of Columbus, or the Legion of Mary, or Single mothers, or Hard working Fathers. But he wasn’t talking to those people, he was talking to a homeschooler. This was not a homily to the entire parish, this was a statement to a homeschooler. Shame on that priest, for encouraging his parishioner for doing something good (can I admit that it is good without offending anyone?) Shame on that homeschooler for feeling encouarged by a compliment when there are 300 million people in our country who didn’t receive the same compliment. SHAME SHAME SHAME, stuck up, closed minded, think you’re better than everyone else, angry homeschoolers! DIdn’t you know, YOU’RE not allowed to receive compliments? It might offend everyone else!

Not every compliment given has to come with a caveat that there are other people in the world also deserving of compliments. That would be ridiculous. Son, you did a great job on your Math homework - but don’t get a big head, because other kids do good work in their math too. Dear Pastor, you are making a great difference in our community - but don’t think you’re better than the rest of us, because other people ALSO make a difference in the community. Catholic school, you are a gift to our parish - ummm,but maybe we shouldn’t have said that because all the families whose kids go to public school are also a gift to our parish. Gee, maybe we should just NEVER give compliments and NEVER encourage anyone to avoid hurting feelings. I guess it makes sense in our “Everyone get’s a trophy” sort of world.

:mad:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top