Hostage to the Devil

  • Thread starter Thread starter LoganBice
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fr. Amorth vs. Malachi Martin…an interesting question.

I read Amorth first, and was utterly terrified. It deepened my faith a lot, because it gave me an appreciation for what they call “primary evil” (i.e. the diabolical), without which so much of Catholicism rings hollow - why pray “deliver us from all evil” when there is no such thing, right? What Amorth gives us is a collection of anecdotes from his own exorcisms, sprinkled with some useful sermonizing. Indeed, it is the looseness of his writing that makes him more convincing to me. I further see no reason to doubt Amorth’s orthodoxy.

Malachi Martin on the other hand is a consummate writer and, I would say, a dazzling mind in general. And an enigmatic figure. He left the Jesuits, while remaining a priest answerable to a bishop, just as the Jesuit order was losing its original mission of papal fidelity and embracing Modernism, that is, in the 1960’s. As he describes those years (read his excellent book entitled Jesuits) individual Jesuits faithful to the magisterium and to their extra vow of papal fidelity were effectually muzzled and treated with animosity. No surprise, then, that some of them left the order for the sake of living out the Jesuit vision - and this is what M.Martin did. I have no idea how he managed it, who he knew, what connections he had, but he scored a Guggenheim Fellowship to write Hostage to the Devil. How that came to be would be a fascinating story all its own.

Nothing I have read by Malachi Martin leads me to doubt his orthodoxy either, but it’s worth noting that neither Jesuits nor Hostage to the Devil bear the imprimatur.
 
I never finished the book “Hostage to the Devil” because it had some sexual content in it that I did not feel was necessary and, depending upon your state of mind, can affect you (it did to me, anyway). Although I think I may attempt to finish it. I have read both of Fr. Amorth’s books and recommend them highly, They show quite a bit how occult practices lead to demonic problems, but I also noted that in Italy, their occult practices are “different” than here in the U.S., (unless I am not aware of the extent of occult practices in the US). I also read The Rite, which is excellent and perhaps not really dramatic but shows evil’s subtlety. Begone Satan was perhaps the first time I read about possessions and exorcisms. I have the most well known, of course, “The Exorcist” and the true story about the possession of the boy, Robbie, that “The Exorcist” was based on - but can’t remember the name of the title right now. I have one or two others that I don’t recall off hand. I do have an interest in the subject for spiritual and knowledge sake and am aware of evil forces do, indeed, affect us. Oddly, sometimes I feel I am supposed to be somehow proactive about it, but other than praying to St. Michael, Our Lady, etc. to fight the evil forces, I don’t see how.
 
I definitely appreciate wanting to put a book like Hostage to the Devil down due to your state of mind. It is highly disturbing stuff!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top