"hostile" replies

• Thread starter Thread starter hsmom2four
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hsmom2four

Just wondering - why is it that when someone posts their opinion on something and it disagrees with someone else, they are suddenly branded “hostile?” Yes, we can all get a little emotional because we feel quite strongly about certain things. However, unless they are calling you names, I wouldn’t necessarily brand someone as “hostile.” Maybe we can give this word a little rest… what do you think? (Yes, I really want to know! ;))

h(name removed by moderator)2four:
Just wondering - why is it that when someone posts their opinion on something and it disagrees with someone else, they are suddenly branded “hostile?” Yes, we can all get a little emotional because we feel quite strongly about certain things. However, unless they are calling you names, I wouldn’t necessarily brand someone as “hostile.” Maybe we can give this word a little rest… what do you think? (Yes, I really want to know! ;))
I think in some cases people label others as “hostile” after they have been criticized and they have no other defense.

Good thread, mom! The internet, being the faceless beast it is allows people to be a little more…um…open? Obviously, we are all very passionate about our beliefs. Thanks for the reminder that we need to be a little more charitable to each other. 👍

In an intelligent exchange of ideas, criticism is inappropriate and out of place.

I also think that people don’t realize that communicating through reading is different than through speaking because body-language is not available to give the true intent and spirit of what is being said. I’ll give the benefit of the doubt that people are not aware of how they “come off”.

With that being said, rather than agreeing to disagree, there seems to be a prediliction for pointing out the various ways in which people are incorrect. Sometimes this is done lacking in civility. It certainly detracts from the discussion and makes the entire exercise pointless.

h(name removed by moderator)2four:
Just wondering - why is it that when someone posts their opinion on something and it disagrees with someone else, they are suddenly branded “hostile?”
Some don’t post in the interest of “discussion”. They post expecting only “me too” 's and see disagreement (or even simple questions) as a personal affront.

Some have certain beliefs (rightly, wrongly, or inbetweenly) but can’t defend them. Rather than admit it, they write a (usually long) letter about how nasty, mean, uncivil, etc. people are.

Nothing new under the sun.

One thing that I have noticed is that many of the “hostile” responses have been within a select group of posters. These people, for the most part, are not here to discuss at all. After reading several argumentative posts, and never able to open a dialog with them, you tend to get more hostile in your responses. There is one poster in general that I have stopped reading because he has no desire at all to dialog like an adult. Rather than get agitated with him, I ignore him. At the same time, those who do try to discuss with him, always seem hostile because he will not discuss their views as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back