How can I find Catholic men in my city to pray the liturgy of the hours with?

• Thread starter Thread starter bonaventura
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bonaventura

am new in my city (Toronto Canada), and I started attending the parish near my house when I moved here. I went to World Youth Day with a group from this parish, and I was sure that I was going to find a community of young 20/30 somethings who were serious about their Catholic faith. That was in the first two weeks of being in the city. What looked like it might be evaporated before it ever really formed.

I know I probably shouldn’t have, but I stopped going to that parish nearly completely, when an old and rather grouchy priest was assigned to this parish. At that time, I was curious about the Latin Mass, and out of curiousity, visited it a few times, and soon it became my regular sunday mass. I did not become a “Traditional Catholic” though I did learn what one was. Many who attend Latin masses also read rad-trad magazines with cheerful names like “The Remnant”. Most unbearable of all to me is the disrespect that some traditional catholics I have spoken to have for our Holy Father the Pope.

So here I am, stuck in the middle. Like Thomas Howard I am an Evangelical who woke up to the truth of the Catholic faith. While I do love the old Latin mass and prayers, I do not hold with anyone whose theology gravitates towards insubordination ( the SSPX, the sedevacants, or “Traditional Catholics” who think that the vernacular mass is invalid). I don’t find much going on besides Mass at most parishes I visit. There are third order Secular franciscan fraternities in the city, and I’ve joined one, but it’s not fulfilling my most basic spiritual craving; to have some other men around to pray with regularly, at least once or twice a week. I would like to pray the daily office with some guys, and I would like to read books and talk about theology, share our personal spiritual journeys, and support each other as men, in striving towards purity of thought, and word, and deed, towards chastity, moderation, and the quieting of our base desires, and towards the increase of all virtues.

So what should I do? I don’t know. Maybe there are some guys at the Latin mass who would probably be right up my alley. All I want (a tall order indeed) is men who believe in the whole of the Catholic faith, are obedient to the magisterium of the church and who want to follow God with all their hearts, minds, and strength. I am not all of those things all of the time, or even any of them, some of the time. But I do wish I was. That’s all I ask, really, somebody who wishes they were more alive, both more pleasing to God, and to themselves, than they currently find themselves. In other words, someone aware of their own need for grace. I’m dying here.

I had great hopes that this might be found in a secular franciscan fraternity, but the group I have joined (although it is good) is not quite what I’m looking for. For one thing, it is made up of men and women, and for another thing, nobody else in my fraternity, except one, is interested in the prayer of the church, or interested in reading the same kinds of books as me. I intend to persist with the secular franciscan fraternity. Franciscan spirituality is a good fit for me, but for that matter so is anything with any depth at all, especially Benedictine, Trappist, Carmelite, and Dominican spirituality. ANYTHING, ANYTHING AT ALL, where men want to encourage each other to pray, and to really live our lives in the spirit of the Gospel. So what should I do?

Warren
Toronto Canada

[P.S. If this message gets posted twice, I apologize. Some kind of error happened, and my message did not appear after I posted it.]

Boy, I share your concern, I have wanted to do the same here in Chicago!

I don’t know how to go about collecting a hearty group of prayer partners, but I’d like to try.

Anyway, I affiliated with a local Benedictine Abbey and I go pray with them occasionally (it’s very nice to join the monks for vespers after work). I could be a full oblate before the end of the year but I am not pushing it, the oblates are not too keen on meeting outside of the Abbey either, so I may try something else.

I really would like to start a small group for prayer and reading, I have prayed the LOTH for about 4 years and I thought that it would make a good basis for a group.

Perhaps some good people will see this thread and have some worthwhile ideas. The time is right for it.

I need something to get me off of this computer anyway 😃

Our Secular Franciscan group prays the Liturgy of The Hours each time they meet and promise at profession time to do the morning and evening hours daily. I hope your group reads the norms of the order. Daily mass is first, then the Hours should be prayed. One other suggestion, some folks who attend daily mass get together and say the morning hours as well as pray the rosary. If you can’t find such a group maybe the Spirit will move you to start one.

Good luck and God bless
Deacon Tony

I would suggest putting a little ad in the church bulletin. Just say you would like to start a men’s group to pray the liturgy and give your name and phone number. Also try the other Catholic Church bulletins in your area.

I learned about LOTH from a little book put out by the Jesuits, got hooked, my brother sent me a big one volume book and explained how to use it. Our Lady led me to the Benedictines (which is a story) and I became an oblate. LOTH is a centerpiece of our meetings. Several of us in the same town pray it together after Mass, or try to meet in small groups more often than our monthly gatherings. We just put on a retreat for another group, introducing them the Benedictine spirituality and LOTH, they loved it and will take it back to their own groups.

I guess you would go about it like you would form any other small faith community, gather some like minded people, get someone to explain the way LOTH works, agree on time and place to meet. Our pastor introduced it to the parish a few years ago, but it did not take off. We are trying to get Sunday vespers restored, or to incorporate it in our new plans for Eucharistic holy hours for the parish.

I suggest beginning with Shorter Christian Prayer, the little red book, it is easier to follow for beginners, and contains everything you need for now.

Whereever two or more are gathered . . .

Just don’t let your spiritual growth depend too much on others, or on externals, or on finding congenial people. Your basic membership is in the Catholic Church and your parish. Like it or not, this is who we are. Have you found a spiritual director?

How about an ad in your Catholic newspaper? I would suggest that rather than just in a parish bulletin. Good luck. 🙂
Peace,
Linda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back