As I have been reading the post of this thread a thought that kept coming to me is in regards to baptism we tend to look at one or two aspects of this sacrament and do not consider the whole (I do not mean that we do not believe in the full rightness of this sacrament but we tend to concentrate our thoughts just on one or two aspects).
I think one aspect of this sacrament, when I think all would agree, is baptism is the sacrament that brings us into the Body of Christ the Church.
But then comes into the picture of the relationship and effects of baptism and Original Sin. And it is here I think we tend to compartmentalize the sacrament too much. Does Baptizm restore God’s life to us, the life lost through the Sin of Adam? Or do does Baptism take away original sin and any other sin we may have committed in our life? Does Baptism restore life or give us new life, through the sharing of Christ Jesus’ Death and Resurrection? Or does it effect all these things? Personally, I think the answer is all the above and thus we need to study the richness of this Sacrament in all its details.
I think for we Roman Catholics, Pope John Paul II’ advise that the West should not cut itself off from the spirituality of the East, but rather as he put it understand the Eastern and Western Tradition as the two lungs of the Body of Christ, would benefit in studying the Eastern Tradition on the effects of Original Sin - which could give us a deeper appreciation of the effects of the Sacrament of Baptism.
One thing aboout Infant Baptism. If we believe that Baptism does restore, a give anew, God’s life lost through the Sin of Adam, then it would make sense that this gift, OF GOD, should be given at the earliest time possible. If I am not mistaken, the Incarnation was an act of God coming to man, as man, and was not man going to God. At the basis of Salvation History is the Revelation that it is God who is acting through our man’s history, it is God who has always made the first move, so to speak, because it is impossible for man to do this. If we believe that the Church, is the Body of Christ that is the Church is the visible actice presence of Christ, who is God Incarnate, then I think it is part of the Church’s natural activity to be the vessel through which God, enters into the life of man.
And, just as the Triune God didn’t wait for man to be worth for God to come to man and draw man to Himself, so to The Church cannot wait until an individual is “ready” or “worthy” of receiving the Gift of God’s Life, the Gift of Faith in God.
But going back to the original question about infants needing to repent, I think common sense and reason would show us that no they do not need to repent, if repent mean having sorrow for an evil one has done. But what they do need is the new life that they can only receive is the Gift of Life, freely given by God to all men through Baptizm