How do I embrace/follow " Love Your neighbour as yourself"?

• Thread starter Thread starter sorrowful1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sorrowful1

I feel disconnected with everyone – No, to be more precise, I feel like “I’m done with everyone”. Even more so, after I embraced Catholicism (not hating on it). The difference is that my pre-Catholic life was full of hatred, high expectations from others, and a very unforgiving heart. Post-Catholic : I’m happy to have been able to forget and forgive. Whatever remnants of hatred or grudge I nestled in my heart, they have been swiftly swept away.

But why do I so yearn for solitude ? I yearn for solitude because like I said, I feel “done with everyone” (except my parents of course). I used to have many friends; someone would ask for an xyz from me, I’d give it and that’s it. Finished. No more friends!!! And then, there were those who asked for an xyz, I’d be able to give only an x and they would disappear from my life without a clue. I’d feel utterly useless not being able to be a good friend/neighbour (and it always came with a bitter disappointment and hatred towards the person).

Now, although I’m free of those unwanted emotions, the feeling that I’m of no use to anyone still lingers. And that has incapacitated my ability to love myself. If I’m not able to do so, how could I possibly love my neighbour? How could I love them sincerely when I feel “done” and long for solitude ? I do keep each and everyone of those friends that have left me over the years; I ask for forgiveness to God for having offended them and pray for their but prayer isn’t enough, is it?

Last edited:
I’m not a Christian, never mind a Catholic, but the same concept exists in Judaism and, like everything in Judaism, there’s potential for endless debate about what it means in all sorts of circumstances.

Perhaps the ‘golden rule’ (“What is hateful to you do not do to your fellow.”) is a useful backup when things get complex with the idea of loving one’s neighbour? If you can’t be positive, at least don’t be negative.

… how could I possibly love my neighbour? …
Sanctifying grace. What is impossible for man is possible with God.

Catechism
1473 The forgiveness of sin and restoration of communion with God entail the remission of the eternal punishment of sin, but temporal punishment of sin remains. While patiently bearing sufferings and trials of all kinds and, when the day comes, serenely facing death, the Christian must strive to accept this temporal punishment of sin as a grace. He should strive by works of mercy and charity, as well as by prayer and the various practices of penance, to put off completely the “old man” and to put on the "new man."85

85 Eph 4:22, 24.

1434 The interior penance of the Christian can be expressed in many and various ways. Scripture and the Fathers insist above all on three forms, fasting, prayer , and almsgiving ,31 which express conversion in relation to oneself, to God, and to others. Alongside the radical purification brought about by Baptism or martyrdom they cite as means of obtaining forgiveness of sins: effort at reconciliation with one’s neighbor, tears of repentance, concern for the salvation of one’s neighbor, the intercession of the saints, and the practice of charity "which covers a multitude of sins."32

31 Cf. Tob 12:8; Mt 6:1-18.
32 1 Pet 4:8; Cf. Jas 5:20.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back