How do I get more out of my prayer life?

• Thread starter Thread starter dizzy_dave
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dizzy_dave

I get up early to say my prayers before I go to work. I usually pray for 35-45 minutes. I read my Bible, read or say prayers, etc. My days are very busy. I work full time and have a wife and four kids. I can’t seem to stick to a routine and am always changing it around. I also pray before I go to bed at night which means I get to bed late then get up real early, then I can’t focus. Things are really hectic. I was wondering if anyone could share how and when they pray and maybe that would help to kickstart my prayer and spiritual life because I don’t seem to be progressing. Thanks and God Bless

40.png
dizzy_dave:
I get up early to say my prayers before I go to work. I usually pray for 35-45 minutes. I read my Bible, read or say prayers, etc. My days are very busy. I work full time and have a wife and four kids. I can’t seem to stick to a routine and am always changing it around. I also pray before I go to bed at night which means I get to bed late then get up real early, then I can’t focus. Things are really hectic. I was wondering if anyone could share how and when they pray and maybe that would help to kickstart my prayer and spiritual life because I don’t seem to be progressing. Thanks and God Bless
My priest gave us a great bit of advice for Lent. Listen more and use less words to pray. Just spend quiet time with God to maximize your prayer time. This way God can tak to you and you can listen , instead of you talking all the time, with God not getting a word in edgewise.

40.png
dizzy_dave:
Dave,

Don’t sell yourself short here… IMHO, I think you are doing just fine. Have you ever considered just offering your work as prayer? Sanctify yourself in your work…. Prayer is not only reciting but living in His Presence… the lifting of your heart and mind to Him.

How are you ever going to hear God if your so busy trying to make all this progress?

Remember, all that He asks is that you love Him and are faithful…the rest will fall into place… God Bless,
Annunciata:)

Liturgy of the Hours is the Public prayer of the Church, and does include Bible readings and psalms. Maybe that would be something which would give you something more specific. You can pray as many hours (not a 60 minute hour, but the hour of the day ) as you can. Priests and Religious are required to say them, but since it is optional for the laity, just pray what is comfortable for you.

There are prayer books you can get, but it is also on line

universalis.com/cgi-bin/display/-600/USA/lauds.htm

There is a thread going in this forum.

A comment here, and not aimed at anyone. I used to pray formal written prayers exclusively. I naver said much ad lib.

Fifteen years ago I met a Missionary who had been in Ecuador , he said, for about 26 years. He said he learned to pray while there.

He said, after an Our Father, Gloria and a Hail Mary just talk. Tell God what like and dislike. If you are mad at God - tell him. When you are just talking to God - pause, listen…littlle bits of info will creep in. Sometimes you dont like what you are hearing. Keep it simple and listen as much as you talk , maybe listen more.

Lastly, the original question was,“How do I get more out of my prayer lifee”. I want to say “What can I GIVE to my prayer life, not what I can get out of it.”

It is under the “umbrella” of God’s mercy that christian existence should develop. Ever mindful of that, the Christian should strive to behave as a child of God. And what are the principal means to ensure that our vocation takes root? Today let me point out two of them, which are like living supports of christian conduct: interior life and doctrinal formation, the deep knowledge of our faith.

First of all, interior life. How few really understand this! If they hear about the interior life, they imagine some obscure temple. For more than a quarter of a century I have been saying that such isn’t the case. I talk about the interior life of ordinary Christians who habitually find themselves in the hubbub of the city, in the light of day, in the street, at work, with their families or simply relaxing; they are centred on Jesus all day long. And what is this except a life of continuous prayer? Isn’t it true that you have seen the need to become a soul of prayer, to reach an intimacy with God that leads to divinization? Such is the christian faith as always understood by souls of prayer — “A man becomes God,” writes Clement of Alexandria, “because he loves whatever God loves.”

At first it will be more difficult. You must make an effort to seek out the Lord, to thank him for his fatherly and practical concern for us. Although it is not a question of sentiment, little by little the love of God makes itself felt like a rustle in the soul. It is Christ who pursues us lovingly: “Behold, I stand at the door and knock.” How is your life of prayer going? At times don’t you feel during the day the impulse to speak more at length with him? Don’t you then whisper to him that you will tell him all about it later, in a heart-to-heart conversation?
More to come

It is under the “umbrella” of God’s mercy that christian existence should develop. Ever mindful of that, the Christian should strive to behave as a child of God. And what are the principal means to ensure that our vocation takes root? Today let me point out two of them, which are like living supports of christian conduct: interior life and doctrinal formation, the deep knowledge of our faith.

First of all, interior life. How few really understand this! If they hear about the interior life, they imagine some obscure temple. For more than a quarter of a century I have been saying that such isn’t the case. I talk about the interior life of ordinary Christians who habitually find themselves in the hubbub of the city, in the light of day, in the street, at work, with their families or simply relaxing; they are centred on Jesus all day long. And what is this except a life of continuous prayer? Isn’t it true that you have seen the need to become a soul of prayer, to reach an intimacy with God that leads to divinization? Such is the christian faith as always understood by souls of prayer — “A man becomes God,” writes Clement of Alexandria, “because he loves whatever God loves.”

At first it will be more difficult. You must make an effort to seek out the Lord, to thank him for his fatherly and practical concern for us. Although it is not a question of sentiment, little by little the love of God makes itself felt like a rustle in the soul. It is Christ who pursues us lovingly: “Behold, I stand at the door and knock.” How is your life of prayer going? At times don’t you feel during the day the impulse to speak more at length with him? Don’t you then whisper to him that you will tell him all about it later, in a heart-to-heart conversation?

In the periods expressly reserved for this rendezvous with our Lord, the heart is broadened, the will is strengthened, the mind, helped by grace, fills the world of human reality with supernatural content. The results come in the form of clear, practical resolutions to improve your conduct, to deal more charitably with all men, to spare no efforts — like good athletes — in this christian struggle of love and peace.

Prayer then becomes continuous, like the beating of our heart, like our pulse. Without this presence of God, there is no contemplative life. And without contemplative life, our working for Christ is worth very little, for vain is the builder’s toil if the house is not of the Lord’s building.

From escrivaworks.org/book/christ_is_passing_by/point/8
St Josemaria Escriva. Much the same as what Annunciata was saying.

What about trying just little, short prayers throughout the day? I am trying this during Lent.

Before I have a conversation with my kids, I ask Mother Mary to pray that I will be patient and loving.

While I’m doing the dishes, I thank God that we have food to eat.

If I’m going to call a friend, I ask the Holy Spirit to guide our conversation and use me if I can be of help to this friend.

When I fail, I say Lord have mercy on me, a sinner.

When I’m confused and not sure about a decision, I say three times “Jesus, I trust in You.”

In the periods expressly reserved for this rendezvous with our Lord, the heart is broadened, the will is strengthened, the mind, helped by grace, fills the world of human reality with supernatural content. The results come in the form of clear, practical resolutions to improve your conduct, to deal more charitably with all men, to spare no efforts — like good athletes — in this christian struggle of love and peace.

Prayer then becomes continuous, like the beating of our heart, like our pulse. Without this presence of God, there is no contemplative life. And without contemplative life, our working for Christ is worth very little, for vain is the builder’s toil if the house is not of the Lord’s building.

From escrivaworks.org/book/christ_is_passing_by/point/8
St Josemaria Escriva. Much the same as what Annunciata was saying.Turn your life into prayer.

dizzy_dave: You know I’m only in RCIA. So whatever I say take it with caution.

When we do a better job of living our lives as God wants us to live, then our prayers are better too.

Lately, I found some more wonderful books.

“Mary Day by Day” (a devotional with a very short reading for each day).

“The Imitation of Mary” by Alexander de Rouville.

Both are published by the Catholic Book Publishing Co. I really recommend them.

In “The Imitation of Mary” book 2, chapter 22:
“It is a mistake to associate holiness with practices different from the duties of our state and to neglect the latter in order to do the former. The greatest of all perfections is to love one’s own state and to carry out its obgligations, however ordinary they may be, when this state is in conformity to the order established by Divine Providence.”

“The best state for you is not the one you think perfect, but the one in which God has placed you.”

“To go to church, pray, and visit the sick are fine things, but if you do them when the duties of your state require something far different, can you claim to be doing God’s will?”

If none of the above makes too much sense, what I otherwise suggest is that you focus on getting a more predictable routine. Only try to do each day the things you can easily do each day. And remember that other things come up that can interfere with plans. So you must not structure your day so much that you cannot deal with other things.

Prayers: I think that praying the Holy Rosary is really the best prayer. It includes the “Our Father” (which Jesus taught us to pray). It includes the “Hail Mary”. And meditation on the Rosary Mysteries is meditation on the Gospel.

So maybe don’t try to do so much that it doesn’t fit. Life is an endurance situation, not a sprint. So we must pace ourselves and do what we can continue to do. And do what will not interfere with what God has called us to do – to be a good husband and a good father.

And we do need time to listen. Sometimes when I go to Eucharistic Adoration, I am do not spend enough time to be quiet and waiting.

dizzy_dave: I appreciate your prayers for me. I also struggle.
I take the bus to work each day. It takes longer than if I drive. But it gives me a predictable time to quietly read in the morning. And I also have time to pray the rosary on the bus. Even though I quietly speak the words, the bus is loud enough that nobody else hears.

from what you have said before you struggle with balancing family and work demands. What about praying with your family as well as alone, around the breakfast table, or just call everybody into the hall when you wake up for a quick Our Father and Hail Mary. during your work day, a brief prayer to consecrate each task to Jesus. Guardian Angel, be with me as I drive. Mary, be with me at this meeting as you were with your Son. Jesus, help me use this time for your honor and glory. Holy Spirit, give me the right words to say during this meeting with my boss.

Nothing long or out loud, short, to the point. And not always asking, just praising.

jmm08 said:
dizzy_dave: You know I’m only in RCIA. So whatever I say take it with caution.

When we do a better job of living our lives as God wants us to live, then our prayers are better too.

Lately, I found some more wonderful books.

“Mary Day by Day” (a devotional with a very short reading for each day).

“The Imitation of Mary” by Alexander de Rouville.

Both are published by the Catholic Book Publishing Co. I really recommend them.

In “The Imitation of Mary” book 2, chapter 22:
“It is a mistake to associate holiness with practices different from the duties of our state and to neglect the latter in order to do the former. The greatest of all perfections is to love one’s own state and to carry out its obgligations, however ordinary they may be, when this state is in conformity to the order established by Divine Providence.”

“The best state for you is not the one you think perfect, but the one in which God has placed you.”

“To go to church, pray, and visit the sick are fine things, but if you do them when the duties of your state require something far different, can you claim to be doing God’s will?”

If none of the above makes too much sense, what I otherwise suggest is that you focus on getting a more predictable routine. Only try to do each day the things you can easily do each day. And remember that other things come up that can interfere with plans. So you must not structure your day so much that you cannot deal with other things.

Prayers: I think that praying the Holy Rosary is really the best prayer. It includes the “Our Father” (which Jesus taught us to pray). It includes the “Hail Mary”. And meditation on the Rosary Mysteries is meditation on the Gospel.

So maybe don’t try to do so much that it doesn’t fit. Life is an endurance situation, not a sprint. So we must pace ourselves and do what we can continue to do. And do what will not interfere with what God has called us to do – to be a good husband and a good father.

And we do need time to listen. Sometimes when I go to Eucharistic Adoration, I am do not spend enough time to be quiet and waiting.

dizzy_dave: I appreciate your prayers for me. I also struggle.
I take the bus to work each day. It takes longer than if I drive. But it gives me a predictable time to quietly read in the morning. And I also have time to pray the rosary on the bus. Even though I quietly speak the words, the bus is loud enough that nobody else hears.

40.png
Didi:
When I’m confused and not sure about a decision, I say three times “Jesus, I trust in You.”
All the advice was good, but I loved this practice in particular! Thank you.:blessyou:

Dear dizzy_dave,

A quick thought: consider taking a look at a
little book called The Practice of the
Presence of God
by Brother Lawrence.
It’s online at
ccel.org/l/lawrence/practice/htm/TOC.htm

The reason this little beauty of a book is so
valuable, is that Brother demonstates how he
could keep in contact with God almost
continuously throughout the day…despite
the many, many tasks he had to perform.
Hope this helps !
reen12

I have a question and I wonder if you ca help me?
In the ‘old days’ each month had an intention, ie, October - rosary month, February - HolyFamily, etc.
In the new litergy does this still apply and if so what is the intention for each month?
thank you
Helen Lindsay
40.png
dizzy_dave:

I, too, would reccomend the Liturgy of the Hours. A good place to start is with a book called Shorter Christian Prayer. It has the four weeks rotation of Morning Prayer (Lauds), Evening Prayer (Vespers) and Night Prayer (Compline). It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to say one of the first two; night prayer is about 10 minutes. It can be said out loud, and in community (with your wife, and depending how old your children are, with them). It is the official liturgy of the Church, along with the Mass, and prays the Psalms and Old Testamnet readings (Canticles), along with a short reading from the Epistles.

And if that proves too much, there is the publication Magnificat, which has an even shorter version. It is published approximately monthly.

Because if it part of the official prayer of the Church, I would encourage you looking into it.
There is a website also to the Liturgy of the Hours someone else might know, if you want to take a look; I think it also has instructions as to how to go about the prayers.

For me, I wake up early in the morning, and as a person to spread the Catholic faith and a sharer of ecumenism, I attend other churches in the morning. As I walk, when things are still dark, I sing the chaplet of Divine Mercy, usually for the conversion of sinners. And when people are around, I usually pray the Holy Rosary. Those two are important to me everyday.

When I’m with protestants, I go with the Ecumenical Miracle Rosary! 🙂 Nice devotion…

I pray the Catena everyday as part of the Legion of Mary,

And scripture is meaningful as a prayer for me.

All from a 16 year old 😛

40.png
Didi:
What about trying just little, short prayers throughout the day? I am trying this during Lent.

Before I have a conversation with my kids, I ask Mother Mary to pray that I will be patient and loving.

While I’m doing the dishes, I thank God that we have food to eat.

If I’m going to call a friend, I ask the Holy Spirit to guide our conversation and use me if I can be of help to this friend.

When I fail, I say Lord have mercy on me, a sinner.

This is exactly the advice I would give, too.
It’s that frequent turning to God during the day that really builds one’s prayer life - bringing God “into the picture” in as many little circumstances as possible, by talking to Him briefly as Didi suggests, or just mentally “glancing” at God, if you know what I mean!
One can get overwhelmed trying to set aside big chunks of time or reciting lots of prayers when it isn’t always possible without undue stress and strain.
It’s great if one can devote a decent length of time to prayer, but it needn’t be “busy” prayer, just a quietening of your mind and “being with” God, maybe accompanied by reading a favourite piece of Scripture or some psalms.
For sure, God blesses your prayer, Dave, and loves you!👍

Just try saying one decade of the rosary in your car or however you get to work. This worked for me and my prayer life grew leaps and bounds. What I realized after one decade I wanted to be more in union with the Lord. I try now to get to adoration at least once a week and Mass. Sometimes I feel that we rush so much we aren’t listening to the Lord. Don’t say anything just perhaps listen, prayer is also listening to what Christ and our Blessed Mother are trying to tell us. It has worked for me when I least suspected!

I have let my prayer life slide somewhat. Now I am waking up in the middle of the night. I think God is giving me a sign that even if I’m not ready to talk, He is, and He will not be denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back