How Do I Pay Attention During Mass?

• Thread starter Thread starter Max
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Max

For as long as I can remember, I’ve always had a very difficult time staying focused at Mass. While I don’t have any attention disorders (or do I…), my mind tends to wander very often during even the most important parts of Mass, including the readings, the Gospel, and even the part where the priest blesses the Body and Blood of Christ. I usually don’t realize that I missed what was being said and snap out of it until right when I hear the words “Thanks be to God.”

It can be pretty frustrating to not be able to recall one word that was said in any of the readings, or to find myself staring blankly and automatically reciting the responses without even realizing it. When I leave, I go feeling like I didn’t take much from the Mass, because I was in my own world through more than half of it. Any suggestions?

What kind of preparation do you do in advance? I almost always read the three readings plus the day’s Psalm, after praying that the Holy Spirit guide me. You can then look for, and anticipate, added understanding of these readings that the the homily is designed to provide. This usually involves some sort of real world application. Then during Mass I concentrate on what I can give, my presence, my attention, my worship, rather than on what I can get from mass. Do I always “feel” like it? No, but our faith is about commitment and fidelity, not feelings.

Before I go to Mass, I try to first clear my mind from the many things that I’m thinking about. I know, more easily said than done. And I usually don’t listen to the radio before Mass cuz then i’d have a song stuck in my head throughout Mass. This way at least you know you are preparing for something very special. After doing this if you still have trouble…definitely pray about it before Mass but especially during the Consecration. At this point ask God that it is your fervant desire to pay attention during this Holy Sacrifice. Be confident to know that God will not let you down in this. I have always been told to release our sufferings at the foot of the cross during the Consecration; our deepest desires. How is your prayer life? Perhaps try spending time before Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. This helped me when I began my Holy Hour once a week. You will begin to be excited to go to Mass and no way will want to miss out on ANYTHING. The Mass is Heaven on Earth and you want to try to make it a part of you, to say it in unity with the priest. I’d also like to note that it is definitely a good thing that you have realized that your attention in Mass has been a problem! So many Catholics today don’t realize this and everything they do is lip-service. Give God thanks for making you aware of your failing, in order that you may enter into a deeper relationship with Him:-)
God Bless…Tracy

Try to prepare mentally and spiritually before you go to Mass. Don’t arrive at the last minute.The advice about not listening to secular radio on the the way is good. When you get to church, do everything as purposefully as you can, keeping in mind where you are and what you are about to partake in. Bless yourself with holy water upon entering–deliberately and not in a casual manner. Sit as close as you can to the front of the church to cut down on distractions in front of you. Genuflect reverently toward the tabernacle before you enter the pew, and spend just a few moments in prayer before you sit down. While waiting for Mass to begin, avoid socializing and gaping around idly. Consider bringing a prayer book to meditate on instead. Also consider using a missal, the nicest one you can afford so that it is special to you for the special occasion that is the Mass. Like other areas of our life, the graces you recieve from the Mass are proportional to what you put in.

Hello Max,

For me, attending mass has been the greatest blessing and source of peace that I have ever experienced. I am in the process of converting from Evangelical to Catholic. I especially have an appreciation and a reverence for Christ in the Eucharist, I think in part because I am unable to receive it yet, and because I understand the significance of it. Christ is making Himself physically present, as a gift, just for us! Thus I am very excited for the day when I can receive Jesus physically as well as spiritually (this Easter when I join, Lord willing).

Anyway, I recommend that you check out a book by Thomas Howard called If Your Mind Wanders at Mass. Howard is a Catholic convert from Evangelical, and he explains the meaning behind the entire mass. Perhaps this background will give you a greater appreciation for it when you better understand what it all means.

Here’s a link to the book: amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0898707617/103-7699876-7818227?v=glance

God bless you, and keep seeking Him!

Great ideas so far about preparation and also learning more about what is happening in the Mass.

I find it helps for me to make sure I arrive in time to pray a few minutes before the Mass starts. I ask my guardian angel to protect me from distraction; I ask St. Michael the Archangel to defend me from temptation; I ask Mother Mary to be with me and pray with me during the Mass; I ask the Father to accept my offerings from the previous week; I ask Jesus to join His sufferings with my humble offerings during the consecration; I ask the Holy Spirit to guide me and help me to hear and accept what I need to from this Mass.

I find participating in all the gestures during Mass helps to keep me focused: The sign of the cross, extending my hand to the priest after he says “The Lord be with you…” “And also with you,” the three crosses on head, mouth and heart before the gospel, etc.

I also find at times of prayer and sometimes during the sermon that if I close my eyes and listen, all other distractions melt away and I can focus on what’s happening.

Hope this might help you! Remember that we are participating in a small piece of heaven on earth and witnessing a miracle at each Holy Sacrifice of the Mass – Jesus Truly Present on the Altar!!!

A lot of people I know (including myself) have found Scott Hahn’s The Lamb’s Supper to be of immense value…

God bless,
Hail Theotokos

This is great question!

I devote each mass to a special intention and the souls in purgatory. It helps me to try and focus because when I find myself drifting, I think about my intentions and the souls again.

I wonder how many souls I can help with a good devoted mass as compared to how many I could help with a mass that I day dreamed my way through. Then I focus again.

I also keep asking Jesus to cover me with his blood and banish the spirit of distraction as much as I need to. I use this in my quiet prayer time as well, when I get distracted

40.png
davidv:
What kind of preparation do you do in advance? I almost always read the three readings plus the day’s Psalm, after praying that the Holy Spirit guide me. You can then look for, and anticipate, added understanding of these readings that the the homily is designed to provide. This usually involves some sort of real world application. Then during Mass I concentrate on what I can give, my presence, my attention, my worship, rather than on what I can get from mass. Do I always “feel” like it? No, but our faith is about commitment and fidelity, not feelings.
Reading the Mass readings has helped me a lot as well.

Max, does your parish have missalettes? I know that some parishes provide them in the pews, others (like mine) keep them in the bookracks near the doors so that people can take one if they want and return it on the way out. When I was little I would always read along in the missalette while the reader or the priest was reading aloud. It gives you something tangible on which you can place your attention.

As for the consecration of the Eucharist, even if you don’t “hear” all the words, try to focus on the fact that it is Jesus Christ up there. Ask Him to give you the strength to focus on Him.

These might help

Read and follow “Getting the Most out of Mass”

Turn each part of mass into a meditation where You and God share a common mind focusing on each word that it said and its fullest meaning.

Use props (missals to follow the mass) if it helps.

Find a song mass in the area.

do you know and understand what is going on at each part of the Mass? Bishop Wuerl has a wonderful video Walk Through the Mass which has a beautiful explanation of the theology of the Eucharist, available through Ignatius Press. Father McBride has a short pamphlet on the Mass through OSV which explains the meanings of the actions and symbols. If you a churchgoer of many years standing, who attends piously and reverently, prepares with the lectionary readings, and offers yourself with Christ in the Consecration, receiving communion with our Lord devoutly and worthily, it may be that you are not lapsing in attention. Do you mean you are daydreaming, going over your to do list, thinking about what to cook for supper? or do you mean your mind has gone to another place for a while without you being consciously aware of your thoughts? it may be that you are being given the gift of contemplation by the Holy Spirit. It is not necessary to be singing, gesturing, responding every minute to be fully participating in the Mass. If you are being led to contemplation, don’t fight it. Accept it as gift. Your spiritual director can help you discern between daydreaming, natural contemplation, and spirit led contemplation.

So far, the suggestions given sound like they’d be really helpful! I never really thought about doing any sort of mental preparation before Mass, mostly because we almost always arrive at least 5 minutes late! Guess my family’s just a bit disorganized, what with trying to get all my other brothers and sisters ready…plus, I don’t have any control over what we listen to on the radio on the way there, since I don’t listen to music anyway. Oh well.

Also, I’ll try to remember to take the advice to read along in the missalette…they are provided in the pews at Mass, I wonder why I never thought to do that.
Do you mean you are daydreaming, going over your to do list, thinking about what to cook for supper? or do you mean your mind has gone to another place for a while without you being consciously aware of your thoughts? it may be that you are being given the gift of contemplation by the Holy Spirit. It is not necessary to be singing, gesturing, responding every minute to be fully participating in the Mass. If you are being led to contemplation, don’t fight it. Accept it as gift. Your spiritual director can help you discern between daydreaming, natural contemplation, and spirit led contemplation.
Well…I think it’s more like daydreaming, and it can be about various things. I doubt that it’s any gift of the Holy Spirit, because sometimes the stuff I think about can be bizarre, vain, or violent…sometimes I catch myself thinking about getting revenge on people I was angry with, fantasize about stuff in my life that I would like to have (wealth, near-perfect physical shape, a happy family when I get older), and even think about the girl I’m too shy to ask out.

I think about all of these things at the wrong place and time…it’s hard just to pray when I really want to even outside Church without being bombarded with these thoughts or desires. Even when I pray for help to stay focused, I lose my train of thought right afterwards. But, I will try to take all of your advice, and I’m about to check out the links that were suggested. Thanks everyone, and any more suggestions would be appreciated, if anyone has something to add.

I will put a big ditto on Scott Hahn Lamb’s Supper comment - I have not actually read the book yet, I have it purchased, but I did listen to an 8 hour audio tape which Scott was interviewed about the book from EWTN’s audio archive - One word - Awesome!

– Read the prayers and readings for the day in advance
– Get there early enough to settle in, to be there and nowhere else
– Make an effort to make eye contact with whomever is speaking, and adopt a posture that says you are open to what they’re saying
– Make mental notes as the Mass goes along, as if you expected someone to ask you what the readings were, what Father said in the homily, and so on.
– Cultivate an attitude of being very, very grateful that you are able to be there, as if illness or some other grave reason had kept you away.

i would like to second (and in some cases, third) the suggestions made-

—follow along in the missallet. not just the readings, but you can even follow along with what the priest is saying when he does the blessings. it’s very interesting, i think.

—read scott hahn’s ‘lamb’s supper’. i loved the mass before i read it. now i feel like i enter heaven every time i go. i go to daily mass, and it makes my day.

—like they said, pray before you go to mass. but in addition, i’d say this: pray right now. ask God to help you focus on the mass and participate, not just watch and be a spectator.

AND I’D LIKE TO ADD! 🙂

— don’t be afraid of your mind wandering. sometimes it’ll wander ‘off’ and you need to bring it back. but sometimes the way God speaks to us is by letting our mind wander a little, especially based on a reading or something the priest says, and letting Him connect it to our lives. just pray that your imagination will be ‘baptized’, and your wanderings will lead you into His arms.

God bless you as you seek His face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back