How do I pray the Angelus?

• Thread starter Thread starter JRS0410
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JRS0410

I want learn to pray the Angelus. I have searched all over the Internet, and I can see that the prayer takes the following form:

During Paschaltide, this prayer, said kneeling, is replaced by the Regina Coeli (see below).

V The Angel of the Lord declared unto Mary.
R** And she conceived of the Holy Spirit.

**All **Hail Mary, full of Grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now and in the hour of our death.

**V **Behold the handmaid of the Lord.

**R **Be it done unto me according to thy word.

**All **Hail Mary, full of Grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now and in the hour of our death.

**V **And the Word was made Flesh.

**R **And dwelt among us.

**V **Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God.

**R **That we may be made worthy of the promises of **Christ.

V **Let us pray. Pour forth, we beseech Thee, O Lord, Thy grace into our hearts; that, we to whom the Incarnation of Christ, Thy Son, was made known by the message of an Angel, may by His Passion and Cross, be brought to the glory of His Resurrection. Through the same Christ our Lord.
All **Amen.

My question is this: this seems to be a form of communal prayer. Is the Angelus ever said as a private prayer? If so, what form would it take?

I have said the prayer privatley many times, when I am not at Church. When I am at Church at noon, the congreation will pray it together with one leading and the others responding. Don’t worry, most people today don’t even know what the Angelus is, even adults!!! :eek: They have no idea why the church bells ring three times a day… 😦 The prayer is said exactly the same privatley, you will say everything.

We have gotten away from the habit of praying the Angelus at lunch - now that my kids are older and rearly never around. But one of the best experiences I ever had was at the Shrine of St. Anne de Beaupre in Quebec. We were there on a pilgrimage and the Angelus bells started ringing. We immediately stopped what we were doing and began to pray - of course everyone stopped and looked at us, like what the heck are they doing. (being a tourist spot for millions).

But it was like being transported back in time. Like we were in some villiage in France and the Church bells would ring and ALL would stop to pray the Angelus. - Can you even begin to imagine such a thing in todays world!

40.png
Mandi:
But it was like being transported back in time. Like we were in some villiage in France and the Church bells would ring and ALL would stop to pray the Angelus. - Can you even begin to imagine such a thing in todays world!
One of Bud McFarlaine Jr.'s (from Catholicity.com) books begins with such a scene - where all stop to pray the Angelus at noon - it is a beautiful thought.
Conceived Without Sin - or - Pierced with a Sword

At the small Catholic school where I teach, we all stop whatever we are doing, even the kids in the middle of a test or on the recess playground, and we pray the Angelus together, and yes we kneel at the proper moment. :gopray2: Then we go right back to whatever we were doing before. ** I love this. **

I believe that the Holy Father, when he prays the Angelus, adds in, before the following:

v. Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord.
r. And may perpetual light shine upon them.
v. May they rest in peace.
r. Amen.
v. May their souls, and all the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.
r. Amen.

So I add that onto my thrice daily Angelus as well.

40.png
Makerteacher:
At the small Catholic school where I teach, we all stop whatever we are doing, even the kids in the middle of a test or on the recess playground, and we pray the Angelus together, and yes we kneel at the proper moment. :gopray2: Then we go right back to whatever we were doing before. ** I love this. **
What would be the proper moment to kneel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back