S
SteakNPotatoes
Guest
People die for a lie everyday, though they no doubt believe the lie is true. People can be convinced by any number of methods, voluntary or involuntary, that their deaths will serve a higher cause. Does that automatically validate their claims? By no means. Should we believe in Islam because some kooks kill themselves and 3000 others, or detonate an explosive vest on a bus in Tel Aviv? Should we become Buddhist because some monk with a gallon of gasoline and a Zippo self-immolates? Should we convert to Judaism because the zealots at Masada chose death instead of slavery?All of the Apostles except John were martyred for what they claimed to be true about the dead man, Jesus. And for the first few hundred years, many more Christians willingly died for their faith rather than deny what they believed to be true. What they believed was these extravagant claims that you struggle with.
While dying for a good cause (a just war, while rescuing others from a fire, etc.) is understandable, dying for some ancient story about an obscure Jew from Palestine seems absurd when there were so many other politically acceptable Roman gods (notably the emperor himself) to choose from.
Dying for one’s religious beliefs is not all that rare. I know some will say that these are different, but to me they aren’t - these people believe so strongly in their religion that they willing accept death to prove their point. Exact situations vary, but the mentality is the same. NOTE: I am NOT equating christian martyrs to terrorists, so don’t anyone get their panties in a twist.
Since you appeal to the validity of history, I would encourage you to read what these folks wrote before going to their deaths for what they believed. Yeah, they WERE Christians, but yes, they died for what they wrote. By the way, there is little doubt that the book we have today IS an accurate copy of what they actually wrote, so the question is not whether the Bible is accurate, but only whether it is true.
Your point about faith is fair. As the book itself says, “Faith comes by hearing, and hearing from the word of God.”
I agree that the question is one of truth. No argument there. I’m surprised that few (other than you) are willing to agree with me regarding the need for faith in accepting these stories. Is it because I’m atheist, and the kneejerk reaction is to disagree with everything an atheist says?Check it out.
I appreciate your response. And yes, I have done some studying of the bible, so I’m not all that uninformed.