How do you end the Rosary?

• Thread starter Thread starter Jguerra
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jguerra

I first fell in love with the Rosary a little after my 18th birthday. Twenty-nine years later, married and with two kids, the devotion is very much a part of my daily life. Through thick and thin, in good times and in bad, the Rosary was always in my pocket. I mention this only to show I’m no stranger to the beads.

My question to you is this: At the end of the fifth decade, following the Glory Be and the Fatima prayer comes the Salve Regina. Is this the ‘official’ end of the Rosary?

My Mexican-American culture taught me the Rosary is always followed by a litany. The tail-end of the Charismatic Renewal movement of the 1980’s led me to add the prayer of St. Francis of Assisi and the prayer to St. Michael the Archangel.

How do you end the Rosary? 🙂

all are acceptable, indeed the Litany of Loretto used to be including in public recitals of the rosary when I was a girl and I have noticed that here it is still done when the rosary is recited in Spanish, but less commonly in English. I assume that is cultural. I notice the other prayers have often been used in small group settings. This is not a liturgical prayer (public prayer of the Church) so the common elements are there to facilitate, not dictate, public recitations.

I normally end the Rosary with some prayers (Prayer to St. Michael usually). The people at my parish finish it up with the Prayer to St. Michael and the Litany of the Blessed Virgin (I think that’s the one. I don’t because I don’t know it by heart nor do I have the text). After all prayers and litanies are done I petition certain saints for their intercession andI’m done (Frequent ones being Mary, St. Joseph, St. Michael, St. Jude; at times I add more depending on feast days or personal troubles, etc.).

I don’t think there’s any “official” way to finish the Rosary. There could be, but I highly doubt it. I’m fairly sure that the individual can finish it on their own (Or community if you’re praying with others).

I remember attending a Magnificent parish in Quebec called La Nativite de la Sainte Vierge, and when they prayed the Rosary, instead of the Salve Regina in English, they ended with petitioning prayers of the Saints, well-including St. Louis de Montfort…

When I pray by myself, I usually end with the Salve Regina, but when I pray with my Protestant friend, I conclude into the Lord Jesus Christ, by thy life, death and resurrection…

I end the Rosary by taking the cross, and making the sign of the cross on myself and then kissing it.

I also don’t think that there is any official end of it, we say a lot of prayers after praying the “Holy Rosary” and before making the sign of the Cross, lets see, at the end of the fifth mystery, we say the Glory be, the Fatima Prayer then.-the Hail Holy Queen, our life our sweetness and our hope… Then the St. Michael the Arch Angel prayer, then a prayer for respect life, then an Our Father and a Hail Mary and a Glory be for the Holy Father and the Blessed Mother’s intensions, then …Remember O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help, or asked your intercession was left unaided, inspired by this confidence, I fly unto you, O Virgin of Virgins, my Mother, to thee I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful, O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petetions, but in your mercy, hear and answer me, Amen. Then we usually ask some Saints intercession (like St. Joseph, St. Therese and St. Pio, and say something like all you good angels and Saints, pray for us, and end with Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us, Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us. Then the sign of the Cross. Amen (At the beginning of the Rosary we usually ask the Blessed Mother to pray the Rosary with us and we pray for certain intentions, such as our family, friends, people on here, etc, prayers of intercession for an increase in vocations, especially to the Priesthood and for perseverence in Vocation’s, for Priest’s, Religious, Mother Angelica and her Sisters and all at EWTN, Fr. John Corapi, Fr. Benedict, the poor souls in purgatory, all the Priests of our present and past, and future, and for an end to abortion all over the world, Widow’s, Widower’s, Orphans, the Sick and the dying, those that have no one to pray for them, etc…we have a big list. LOL (It only takes us about a half and hour to pray it all from start to finish though.) Then we pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy for all who have died today or are in danger of dying. I love to pray, don’t you? Usually, we pray the Chaplet first.

I say, “Amen,” make the sign of the cross with the little crucifix, then kiss the crucifix.

I end my rosary with The Memorare, which allhers quoted above, ask for the intercession of my Patron (St Pio), ask the intercession of St Anthony for my grandkids, and kiss the crucifix.

I found something interesting. A site that has the Rosary online, including some things I’ve never seen before. It also has the prayers in Latin right next to the English, in case you would like to pray in Latin.

Also, another place on the site has a popular, 16th century Rosary which is very different than the one we see most often today.

HAIL, HOLY QUEEN**,** Mother of Mercy, our life, our sweetness and our hope! To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve; to thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us, and after this our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary!

Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Let us pray. O GOD, whose only begotten Son, by His life, death, and resurrection, has purchased for us the rewards of eternal life, grant, we beseech Thee, that meditating upon these mysteries of the Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, we may imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise, through the same Christ Our Lord. Amen.

Interesting thread 👍
My family ends our Rosary recitation with An Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory Be for the intention of our Holy Father and a short litany to our favorite saints beginning with the Immaculate of Heart of Mary, Sacred Heart of Jesus, St. Joseph, etc. and ending with “and all the angels and saints” Amen.

40.png
Annunciata:
HAIL, HOLY QUEEN**,** Mother of Mercy, our life, our sweetness and our hope! To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve; to thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us, and after this our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary!

Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Let us pray. O GOD, whose only begotten Son, by His life, death, and resurrection, has purchased for us the rewards of eternal life, grant, we beseech Thee, that meditating upon these mysteries of the Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, we may imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise, through the same Christ Our Lord. Amen.
yup same here. If I have a copy of the litany at hand, I say it too beforehand but if not I can’t really remember it.

Same as above except I will kiss the cross if nobody is looking. 😃

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back