How do you keep the Sabbath day holy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter theotikos
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

theotikos

Guest
I want to hear what other Catholics do on Sabbath. I go to mass and I try to do good works no matter how small, and obviously avoid working. I have to admit its a challenge, because on Sunday its usually such a beautiful day outside in the suburbs of Los Angeles and I can use the long day to do work, but I am aware of this. I seem to be examining my conscience over this. Maybe not having a set schedule can throw one off as myself.
Have you also examined your conscience in regards to keeping the Sabbath? I know I can do better. I think loving the blessed Trinity or that is of God, love, faith, hope, praying, and helping others, doing justice, is how we should live on the day of rest, and even being silent before God, but of course going to mass and reading scripture, even if its just 5 to 10 minutes is good too. I know we can get distracted on Sabbath, just as in every other day. But as a friend said, God comes first.
Just wanted to hear your suggestions or ways that you keep the Sabbath.
Thanks, In Christ ✟
V.
 
It is funny that you post this. Yesterday for the first time I truly kept the Sabbath day holy. I am trying to lead a more holy life style and I thought about this. I usually use Sunday as a hard work day at home or as a day to play. Yesterday I went to mass, said a rosary while there and came home. I let myself do about 2 hours of light work then I just relaxed all day read some of my bible and thought of God often and told the Lord that this was his day. I watched some real good programs on EWTN. I am going to do this every Sunday. I’m going to try and give this day to the Lord from now on.
 
That’s awesome! I think watching EWTN programs is a good idea for me to do too. Sounds like you did it straight from the heart and not out of obligation, so that’s even better 👍
 
Mass; Private prayer; Caring for my Mom; No unnecessary work or shopping; Doing a few relaxing things… that I don’t normally do, during the week.
 
As a family we go to Mass, then we usually go for a hike or bike ride together. I feel a real connection with God when I am out in nature. Then we have a traditional Sunday dinner with family.
 
You all have such good ideas. Its awesome how we can be creative with the ways to spend the Lord’s Day. 🙂
 
I go to Mass with my family, religion class, sometimes I teach Children’s Liturgy, and other than that I rest.

-Jeanne
 
I try to do more parts of the divine office and even a vigils office in the early AM of Saturday.

🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top