How do you like to pray?

• Thread starter Thread starter Psalm89
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Psalm89

I light some candles and turn down the lights in my room when I pray at night. I also turn on some soft music of the “New Age” variety or some Gregorian chants to drown out noises from outside. I find the atmosphere helps me focus on prayers and quiets my mind.
:gopray2::gopray2::gopray2:

How do you like to pray?

I like to pray in a variety of ways depending on the situation.
Someone dying (crisis)= hard core rosary on my knees at home, or in church (candle lighting time!).
Personal problems= bawling my eyes out and rambling to God.
But on a typical day I like to either sit on my bed or kneel by the bed. I will pray from the heart or recite the beautiful prayers written by those much more poetic and holy than I (my favorite being the Anima Christi). Usually my dog will join me and lick my feet as I pray or just rest his head and listen to me.
I also have become a fan of Eucharistic Adoration. There’s nothing like being in His bodily presence!

I’m a big fan of the Rosary and praying before the Blessed Sacrament. I generally pray informally pretty much anywhere, anytime, but I feel like I’m missing something if I don’t make some time each day to come before God alone, on my knees.

When I pray, I like to be in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament. However, I find myself praying all the time thoughout the day. I really enjoy the spontaneous feel to my praying, however I get the most out of my praying in front of the Lord. 😃

Candles and such are great at focusing attention, but I have no preference one way or another. I just like it quiet or semi-quiet.

I like to turn off the lights, put on candles, and light some incense.

Ideal prayer situation: home alone, rainy day, hot tea :coffee: , view of the ocean, a cool new roller ball pen, and all the time in the world to read the Scriptures, meditate, pray out loud, listen in solemn silence, and even sing to God. Even more ideal: Eucharistic Chapel nearby.

Real Life: six kids so I am NEVER home alone, Texas where it rarely rains for long, working a full time job, it’s 890 miles to the nearest ocean and all my windows see are my neighbors tall fences, it’s too hot for tea, and there’s no money for anything but the dozen-for-a-dollar basic Bic pens. 😛 Praise Him anyway!

My best (most fruitful) prayer times invariably happen either in front of the Blessed Sacrament, or after having prayed the Rosary. My most common type of prayer is the “prayer flare”: fast and furious: Lord help me not yell at toddler for this fourteenth interruption in the last 7 minutes. Lord please help me be kind to this irritating salesman on the phone. Etc etc.

I don’t pray the Divine Office :gopray: regularly, but when i feel i really need to center myself on Jesus and focus in on my prayers, i use part of the day’s Liturgy of the Hours as a jumping-off point. The psalms, the canticles, the :bible1: readings and accompanying prayers all help my prayers to be connected to the Word.👍

Externals change but internally from the Heart. Always from the heart.

Fergal,
Naas
Ireland

I’m fortunate enough to have a Shrine around the corner from where I work. I enjoy walking over and spending some time praying.

Funny thing though, the Shrine has been there for the entire 22years I have worked here. I just noticed, in the past year, the 20 foot tall crucifix that I spent the past 22 years walking right by.

40.png
Jdg164:
I will pray from the heart or recite the beautiful prayers written by those much more poetic and holy than I (my favorite being the Anima Christi). QUOTE]

Just an aside: Do you know this translation of the Anima Christi? Personally, I love it and like to recite it very slowly.

Body of Christ, save me
Soul of Christ, sanctify me
Blood of Christ, inebriate me
Water from the side of Christ, wash me
Passion of Christ, strengthen me
O good Jesus, hear me
Within Your wounds hide me
Suffer me not to be separated from You
From the malignant enemy defend me
And bid me come to You
That with Your saints
I may praise You forever and ever.
Amen

As for how do I like to pray - I’m blessed to live in a very quiet suburban street with almost no traffic. I pray at night/evening, for at least a half-hour.
In the spring/summer/autumn I pray upstairs in the spare bedroom overlooking the hills, and just try and unite my whole being to God in simple love and adoration, saying just a few words to keep me focussed, if necessary.
In the winter (like now, here) I do the same downstairs on the sofa, maybe with dimmed lights and a candle, and maybe with my cat curled up on my lap! I have my Jerusalem Bible (older translation) at hand, or perhaps another inspiring spiritual book (at the moment, Meister Eckhart) to glance at if I get distracted.
Outside of “formal” prayer time, I just try to keep aware of God’s presence as much as possible, whenever I don’t need to give 100% of my attention to what I’m doing. I talk to Him, ask Him how I can do His will in a situation, or whatever is on my mind. This is an EXTREMELY helpful aid to prayer at more “formal” (i.e. specially set aside) times, if one can keep faithful to it! But, I fail miserably so often!!

A Te numquam separari permittas - let me never be separated from You

Hi, I need more help to understand the rosary more but for you to understand the details of my questions this thread of the the Catholic forums is were i posted it forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?p=102467 Please click on the link if you come across this. I need all the opinions or answers I can get. I know about the rosary but have some questions about it. Thank you for taking time to read this.

I like to pray during my breaks at work. I take a walk around the block and pray the Rosary or do some silent reflection.

I pray walking to Daily Mass.
I pray at/after Daily Mass.
I pray during the day even if I feel like God can’t hear me.
I pray more traditional prayers before I go to bed at night…but I usually fall asleep praying the rosary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back