How do you Pray?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sinner1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sinner1

I go to Adoration quite often, but I have trouble praying. How exactly are you supposed to pray? I have always been told that you supposed to just talk to God, but there is only so much I can say without having Him directly respond back to me.

When we are blessed enough to have Adoration (the first Friday of the month, if our priest is here) I sometimes use my Holy Hour booklet, which has all the mysteries of the Rosary and meditations,as well as other prayers. Other times, I just talk silently to God, and tell Him everything. If I need help with a spiritual or temporal matter, those are the times when I spend the Holy Hour just conversing with God. And yes, He does hear and answer me.

When Mother Teresa was asked she said when she prayed, she said: I don’t say anything. I just listen to Him.

The reporter asked: What does He say?

She answered: Nothing. He just listen’s to me.

Try this and you will be surprised at how quickly one hour goes by:

Miracle Hour, 5 minutes for each section:

1 - Praise
2 - Sing to the Lord (quietly or in your head if there are others present)
3 - Spiritual Warfare Prayer
4 - Surrender All to God (worries, problems, finances, etc.)
5 - Pray for Release of the Holy Spirit in your life and His gifts
6 - Repentance (ask for forgiveness for any wrongs)
7 - Forgiveness (those you need to forgive)
8 - Scripture Reflection
9 - Sit silently, wait for the Lord to speak
10 - Intercessions for others
11 - Petitions for your own needs
12 - Thanksgiving

There’s a great litte book to guide you through this entitled “Miracle Hour” by Linda Schubert

www.linda-schubert.com

About two years ago I realized I was really a lousy prayer, and I wanted to do much better since it’s so important. Like you, I felt I had nothing much to say. So when I started, I said a lot of Hail Marys and Our Fathers, and asked Jesus for help in this or that, or just thanked Him. I also found prayers to say, and I just read them as my own prayer. Over time, I got better and better - the prayers went longer, they became more conversational.

It’s a never ending process of growth, but I think if you commit to it, you will feel more comfortable because you will start to know God better. Just keep doing it, no matter what it’s like!

As said in Matthew, you are suppose to go into your room, close your door and pray. As for what you say is alot more than what you think. God askes whenever you pray you also say the Hallowed be your name. Also be aware that you should pray to help those in need around you. If you are Catholic, there are souls in Purgatory that could use a little help moveing on. If you live near a christian book store, they carry prayer cards you can buy to pray from.

Good luck!

As said in Matthew, you are suppose to go into your room, close your door and pray. As for what you say is alot more than what you think. God askes whenever you pray you also say the Hallowed be your name. Also be aware that you should pray to help those in need around you. If you are Catholic, there are souls in Purgatory that could use a little help moveing on. If you live near a christian book store, they carry prayer cards you can buy to pray from.

Good luck!

40.png
mercygate:
When Mother Teresa was asked she said when she prayed, she said: I don’t say anything. I just listen to Him.

The reporter asked: What does He say?

She answered: Nothing. He just listen’s to me.
Isn’t that beautiful?
I once read that someone asked John Paul II what it was he prayed for and he replied, “You’d have to ask the Holy Spirit.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back