How does a person know what prayer to pray?

• Thread starter Thread starter juliegh23
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

juliegh23

I’m going through RCIA right now, and there seem to be so many prayers. How does a person know what prayer is right for certain situations? Are there prayer books?

40.png
juliegh23:
I’m going through RCIA right now, and there seem to be so many prayers. How does a person know what prayer is right for certain situations? Are there prayer books?
Here is a good one. There are a lot of books out there but I like this one has it has prayers for everyday.

Good luck in RCIA! 👍

You don’t always have to pray a set prayer, either- you can also just talk to God about what is troubling you. As you pray some different prayers, you may be more attracted to some than others, you will develop favorites- that is ok. If you don’t know what to tell God, but you really want to pray about something, there is a prayer for EVERYTHING, they are there to help you- CA is a good resource to look them up in, and the book Marie suggested is GREAT

There is a very nice little book called The Gold Prayer Book . It’s available at any Catholic Store or from Queenship Publishing for less than $5.00. It has a Scriptural Rosary, Divine Mercy Chaplet, and numerous other prayers and devotions. My DH & I always give a copy to our RCIA candidates.

Peace,
Linda

40.png
LindaS:
There is a very nice little book called The Gold Prayer Book . It’s available at any Catholic Store or from Queenship Publishing for less than $5.00. It has a Scriptural Rosary, Divine Mercy Chaplet, and numerous other prayers and devotions. My DH & I always give a copy to our RCIA candidates.

Peace,
Linda
OH Yes! I love that one too. Mines falling apart. Gotta get another. Thanks for reminding me. 👍

Sometimes, I find myself drawn to particular prayers at certain times in my life, or certain prayers that seem best for specific situations. I tend to turn to the Hail Mary when praying for others or specific intentions because Mary can pray to God for my intentions too.

The two prayers I do most often, and bring me closest to God, are two of the most simple prayers. The first is just raising my heart and mind to God - being concious of Him throughout my day by thinking of Him, seeing Him in nature, praying for guidance, etc. The second is the Jesus prayer - “Jesus, holy son of God, have mercy on me a sinner”. And I just pray that slowly and meditatively.

There are tons and tons of different prayers out there - maybe just pick one you feel drawn to right now and start praying it. Get used to that prayer and live it, and then you can add another one. I’m much more likely to turn to a particular prayer if it’s memorized and something that’s been used before.

And of course as a previous poster mentioned, you can always just talk to God or be in His presence. Mental prayer is great too; it doesn’t always have to be formal or vocal prayer. If you need another book recommendation, “Dwelling in the Presence of God” by Fr.Kilian Healy is great and so helpful in learning to be close to Christ and live a life of prayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back