How does one have a personal relationship with Christ?

• Thread starter Thread starter FuzzyBunny116
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You give your religion as Catholic. Hasn’t anyone ever gone over this with you?

Same way you have a personal relationship with anyone else. Start casual. Introduce yourself. Talk from time to time. As you get more comfortable with eachother and know eachother better, become more open with eachother, and spend more time with eachother. Your activities at first are gonna start really casual, but as with any intimate relationship, they’ll get more personal as you go on.

Josh

To have a personal relationship with Christ…

You must love God.

To love God, you must know Him.

To know Him, you must visit Him in the Blessed Sacrament, and assist at Mass- daily if possible, and go to confession- as often as you can, know the teachings of the Church (His Bride), know His word (the Bible), and know His family and friends (Mary and all the Saints).

Basically, read and know the bible, read about and know the teachings and history of the Church, read about and have personal devotions to Mary and the Saints, go to Adoration (this is a big one), go to daily Mass- and confession as often as you can (these are also big).

40.png
m134e5:
To have a personal relationship with Christ…

You must love God.

To love God, you must know Him.

To know Him, you must visit Him in the Blessed Sacrament, and assist at Mass- daily if possible, and go to confession- as often as you can, know the teachings of the Church (His Bride), know His word (the Bible), and know His family and friends (Mary and all the Saints).

Basically, read and know the bible, read about and know the teachings and history of the Church, read about and have personal devotions to Mary and the Saints, go to Adoration (this is a big one), go to daily Mass- and confession as often as you can (these are also big).
The one big glaring omission from your list is PRAYER to Jesus. You mention Eucharistic adoration, which is spending time in the Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, but the Lord’s Presence also dwells in us (we have this treasure in earthen vessels). We are temples of the Holy Spirit. So the PRIMARY way we have a personal relationship with God is to acknowledge His Presence in us and talk with Him coninuously **(aka prayer) **as you would a friend who accompanies you everywhere and who knows your innermost thoughts and secrets. Over time, you’ll begin to hear Him speak to you through your spirit - Jesus said my sheep will know my voice. He’ll lead and guide you through your everyday life. That’s what having a personal relationship with Christ is about.

David

Kristina P.:
You give your religion as Catholic. Hasn’t anyone ever gone over this with you?
Kristina,

Unfortunatly this is almost never mentioned, much less stressed, in the Catholic Church. What I would like to know is how can we re institute this idea? How can we set people on fire for Christ and not just tell them to “fulfill some rules”?

I know many people that go to “good” parishes that follow all the rules, but the really do not know Jesus in their hearts. Unfortunatly, no one ever tells them about this relationship that they can have…

Actually I am quite interested in this aspect from a Catholic standpoint.

Please explain the relationship a Catholic has with Jesus.

How do the sacraments tie into this? Remember I have only been reading about the sacraments I have not experienced them.

You may reference the Bible, Catechism, Early Church Fathers and vatican articles. The latter two please provide the website. I have the former two.

🙂 Melissa

A couple of things come to mind:

“Pray without ceasing.” 1 Thes 5:17 - given that prayer is conversation with Christ.

Learn His story through the Gospels.

Meditate on His life and teachings.

Call on him when in need.

Sit in quiet conversation with Him (very effective in front of the Blessed Sacrament).

Give yourself to Him to do God’s will in your life.

Get to know his earthly family - Mary, Joseph, the Apostles.

Get to know his earthly family - in the people you meet, and the ones who are members of the Body of Christ.

Get to know his Heavenly family - the Saints - for they all had a personal relationship with Him.

See that all goodness comes from his Heavenly Father.

And when you can, thank Him for all the goodness, graces and blessings in your life. 👍

This is just a few things from a Catholic perspective. 🙂

(Broken into two posts)

I think it is interesting that since August, this thread has only received 8 replies. On a Protestant board, it might have received hundreds by now! Why the difference?

This term is somewhat unique to low Protestants (such as Baptists and non-Denominationals). It means to them a conversion experience. A one time event. Once you accept Jesus into your heart, then you are assured of heaven. They don’t have a strong emphasis on what happens after that (the works bit.) On the other hand, Catholicism stresses the latter part, the living the gospels out, and does not stress this initial experience. Why is that?

We have more of a view of life being a journey in which we must continually choose God in our thoughts, words, and deeds. If we are walking in the wrong direction, it is plenty simple enough to turn around. The hard part is the continuation, the long haul. I am reminded of the recent hurricane catastrophes: many faith-based groups showed overwhelming support in the days after the hurricanes. Houses were opened, furniture, food, clothes, toys donated. Where were the Catholics? While many were individually donating their time and money to the above, the Catholic organizations were behind closed doors. They were planning the long-term. Several days later, they mobilized with a unified plan of action. Now, months later, the faith-based groups’ enthusiasm has petered out. It is the Catholic charities that are still there driving people to the doctors, covering the cost of children’s tuition, getting evacuees jobs and housing, etc. This long-term mentality, this “life is a journey” mentality is a very Catholic worldview. The Catholic person can see the principles of his faith applied in all life’s circumstances. How?

I compare it to a courtship. The Protestants have the first stage down: the part where you fall in love and make your promises. Statistically, after that, church membership declines greatly. What happens? The honeymoon phase wears off and they realize there must be more, but there isn’t. On the other hand, Catholicism is what provides this “more.” We are like the aged couple who have grown in love and respect. It is not a jumping on couches kind of love, but a deep and subdued, awe-inspiring contentment kind of love. Unfortunately, many Catholics do not experience the conversion of heart experience much less the growing of their love. They are not given proper catechesis to help them identify what is right and what is wrong. They do not understand that this is how love should be. They are looking for the jumping on the couches excitement and are blind to the abiding love in front of them. How does the Catholic Church have this love?

(continued below)

(continued from above)

Through the sacraments. Many on this thread have said to have a personal relationship with God you must partake of the sacraments. That is not exactly true. In order to deepen a personal relationship with God, one needs the sacraments. It is possible to have a relationship with the Lord without them, but it is a relationship that is lacking. It is like a marriage without sex. Sure, talking is great (prayer). And doing things together is wonderful (works). And taking time out for couple time like Date Night is important (Worship). And if all of it is done correctly, it is even enough to make some people say sex isn’t important (the sacraments). But there is still a longing, a piece missing. And God gave us a very specific way of filling this void. He gave us the sacraments. Baptism (welcoming). Eucharist (eating together). Confirmation (encouragement in times of hope–the good times). Matrimony or Holy Orders (working together). Anointing of the Sick (encouragement in times of trouble–the bad times). Reconciliation (forgiveness). Can you imagine the state of a marriage without these things? We believe that sex is such an integral part of marriage that the church does not approve of two people marrying who cannot consummate their relationship. We know up front that there will always be something missing which is an important aspect of marriage. The same is true of the sacraments. They are the way God designed us to be able to grow in love with him. It is not some man-made institution, but the very outlets God created to be closer to him–almost as if we are one together at some points in time.

Just like each marriage is different, so to is each person’s relationship with the Lord. What is so amazing about the Catholic Church is that it does not tell you, “You must interact with God this way.” It doesn’t say, “You have to eat at 7, 12, and 5 each day on the dot. You have to talk from 3:15-3:45. You have to have sex from 7-8.” What it says is that spending time together in prayer, at work, in life, while eating, etc is important, and you need to figure out how that best works for you. Inclined to introspection? The church has a place for you! Inclined to working in a community? You can find that here. Like science? Like theology? Like art? Like kids? Like the elderly? Like the high Latin Mass? Like a simple spoken Mass? We realize that there are as many ways to interact with the Lord as there are people who worship him. All this is well and good. But what is it that separates the Catholics from anyone else in this regard? That we emphasize that your job in the relationship is to serve the other–to serve God. He will always do his part. He’ll always be there for you. We emphasize, then, how you are to be there for him. He’s asked very, very little of us. I know I’ve asked more of my spouse today than the Lord asked of me! All he asks is that we continuously grow in our love and devotion to him. He calls us to that deep abiding love. And it can be found in the sacraments. Which can only be found in the Catholic church.

So, everything that every other church is doing to have a personal relationship is the same answer we would give. The problem is that it falls short. By the way, if you read the ecf and saints, you’ll find that they have very opposing views on how best to live out our lives. Some were hermits, some preachers, some pray-ers. The diversity of the church is amazing! The only thing they have in common: the sacraments. Catholicism.

40.png
FuzzyBunny116:
You read the thread. You’ve got the question:D.
Just talk to him and tell him everything. He already knows anyway. Then learn to listen to him and obey. Then get ready to pick yourself up after a million falls with his help. If you don’t realy believe in him start by telling him that. He showed me how to believe.

-D

40.png
threej_lc:
Same way you have a personal relationship with anyone else. Start casual. Introduce yourself. Talk from time to time. As you get more comfortable with eachother and know eachother better, become more open with eachother, and spend more time with eachother. Your activities at first are gonna start really casual, but as with any intimate relationship, they’ll get more personal as you go on.

Josh
Hi there Josh…Josua is a beautiful name…I think the name ‘Jesus’ is drawn from Josua…

Excellent answer to my mind and in very simple terms and in answer to an opening Post to this thread that gave me a smile:
Our relationship outlined as Josh put it is through our Faith. We believe in Jesus and our concepts about Jesus and so we talk to Jesus as a reality present however our Faith tells us…as I see it. To have a spiritual companion or guide where our relationship with Jesus is concerned can be a real help providing we can find one whom we feel comfortable with and trustful of…someone to whom we can talk with ease who also has a relationship with The Lord. As in any relationship things can seem a little bumpy at times maybe or we cannot understand something which is where a guide or companion can be helpful.

My take on matters…

Regards Josh and FuzzyBunny116…Barb:)

Personal relationship is one of those modern buzz-phrazes that make me suspicious. Often when I hear a non-Cathoic talk about personal relationship with Christ, I can’t help thinking as I listen along that this person is listening to his own conscience and has named it Jesus, and then scours Scripture for any proof-texts that confirms their conscience. I suspect this is why many of them make triumphal and pontifical statements about doctrine and act like we have tarantulas crawling out of our ears when we point out the problems in their doctrine.

Scott

Scott Waddell:
Personal relationship is one of those modern buzz-phrazes that make me suspicious. Often when I hear a non-Cathoic talk about personal relationship with Christ, I can’t help thinking as I listen along that this person is listening to his own conscience and has named it Jesus, and then scours Scripture for any proof-texts that confirms their conscience. I suspect this is why many of them make triumphal and pontifical statements about doctrine and act like we have tarantulas crawling out of our ears when we point out the problems in their doctrine.
Scott
I have a Protestant friend that calls me just to tell me how “blessed” she is and how “good God is to her & her family” - they just bought a new car, their children are perfect - her marriage is perfect on and on and on and all this just because they are sooooo good and soooo blessed.

She knows I am a devout Catholic and she often tells me that I need to be “saved” and to have a “personal relationship with God” :confused: If only they could know the truth and beauty of the CC.

Thank you Tonks40 for responding. I think you were responding to my question. 😃

ForestPine,

I too am surprised that more have not answered this question. That’s ok. Faith is so hard to put a simple definition to it because there are so many facets interwoven. My conclusion here so far about it.

That was a wonderful holy spirit inspired post. I loved the analogy. I loved the explanation and it really spoke to my spirit.

Faith is a journey, adventure and the challenges come with it. Hmmm pondering to myself here…

In simplistic terms I equate faith with trust. I know that it has a much deeper meaning than that. What I am trying to do it seek out the deeper meaning to it. Growing up I was Methodist and then Baptist. Currently I claim non-denominational because I am not affiliated with either one. Of course I have been influenced by both.

I do think about this and wonder exactly what is meant by when Jesus comes back will he find Faith on earth.

Shannin,

That reminds me of the word of faith belief. To me it seemed so generic and didn’t give me (personally) a proper explanation of what Faith is. God loves me more type of thinking so God is going to bless me because I am a believer. I wonder what would happen if tragedy struck. Would it shake their faith? Meaning would it shake their trust in Jesus. Is the word of faith concept adequate to strengthen one’s Faith while going through trials and tribulations?

🙂 Melissa

40.png
FuzzyBunny116:
This morning I held Jesus in my hands. As always I closed my hand and cradled him for a moment. Then I followed his intructions to eat his body and drink his blood. I do the same thing nearly every morning. I dont know how you can have a more personal realtionship than that.

Gottle of Geer said:
## Answer: He begins - we respond. ##

… spot on!..someone wrote somewhere or other, author escapes me, that if I am seeking The Lord far, far more is The Lord seeking me.

Regards - Barb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back