How exactly are we in God's image?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Big_Dummy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Big_Dummy

Guest
from looking around I think it is clear that our physical appearance is not God’s image. So, exactly how or what did we get from God’s image that animals do not have?
 
from looking around I think it is clear that our physical appearance is not God’s image. So, exactly how or what did we get from God’s image that animals do not have?
Question 93 of St. Thomas Aquinas’ Summa Theologiae I believe! St. Thomas says that the power of understanding is the image of God! St. Augustine explains it through our mental faculties (or, more appropriately activities, which provide us with another clue to the nature of God) and sums it up as: remembering—understanding—loving.

We journey into God and through our worship, through our getting to know Him we become imago Dei.

The important thing is to grasp God is Trinity, and the Trinity is the Archetype of unity-in-love-without-rivalry. Starting to understand this I believe, is a first step in understanding the challenge we are set by God.
 
I also see that we are created in God the Son’s image.
Absolutely, He becomes the new vine —Jn 15:1 (alluded to at Cana). Wine flows from His passion, the conglomeration and exposition of the truths behind the vine imagery used in the OT (eg Isaiah 5:1-7). Thus we are one with Christ through the Incarnation & un-seperable from Him!

Another way is in marriage!!
 
We are creative beings. For example, bird nests haven’t changed much over the years, but human architecture has not been static by any means. Some animals have been “trained” to do things that appear to be creative (I’ve heard of an elephant that paints, although these are “abstracts” at best), but this is more a sign of their intelligence than their ability to think independantly (I don’t think the elephant has demanded more peanuts for his artwork, nor moved into a studio in the art district of whatever city he’s in).

Also, just as God is a Trinity (Father, Son amd Holy Spirit), we are also a trinity (body, soul and spirit). I should point out that I believe the Catholic Church has declared that “soul” and “spirit” are interchangeable terms for the same thing (not sure if it’s an “infallible” declaration), but if anyone wants to defend that position, I would like an explanation of Heb 4:12 (“For the word of God is living and effectual, and more piercing than any two edged sword; and reaching unto the division of the soul and the spirit, of the joints also and the marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” DR emphasis mine).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top