How Good Are You at Carrying Your Own Personal Cross?

• Thread starter Thread starter ridesawhitehors
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ridesawhitehors

I have been taught that many or all of us have been given a “cross” to carry in this life. And if we accept it, it is better for us and is a way to perfect our love for Jesus and other people. And a way to bring us to heaven.
It has taken me several years to accept the personal cross that Jesus has laid upon my shoulder. It took me even longer to tell him “Thank You” for this cross. It is still very painful at times, but I recognize it as a very special gift from Jesus. Yesterday I asked in prayer how long this suffering would last, and immediatly I felt the answer was “For the rest of my life on earth”, and that the pain would only intensify at times. This personal revelation did not disturb me, but actually comforted me - knowing that I may suffer with Jesus till my last breath, and that He would be with me.
One of my favorite quotes was said of Mother Teresa, “Suffering is the kiss of Christ”.

So, my question is to you, How well are you accepting and carrying the cross that Jesus has laid upon your shoulder?"

I don’t ask for you to reveal what it is because that is personal. Just curious about your journey.

Peace.
Ridesawhitehorse.

40.png
ridesawhitehors:
I have been taught that many or all of us have been given a “cross” to carry in this life. And if we accept it, it is better for us and is a way to perfect our love for Jesus and other people. And a way to bring us to heaven.
It has taken me several years to accept the personal cross that Jesus has laid upon my shoulder. It took me even longer to tell him “Thank You” for this cross. It is still very painful at times, but I recognize it as a very special gift from Jesus. Yesterday I asked in prayer how long this suffering would last, and immediatly I felt the answer was “For the rest of my life on earth”, and that the pain would only intensify at times. This personal revelation did not disturb me, but actually comforted me - knowing that I may suffer with Jesus till my last breath, and that He would be with me.
One of my favorite quotes was said of Mother Teresa, “Suffering is the kiss of Christ”.

So, my question is to you, How well are you accepting and carrying the cross that Jesus has laid upon your shoulder?"

I don’t ask for you to reveal what it is because that is personal. Just curious about your journey.

Peace.
Ridesawhitehorse.

Some days are better than other’s 😛 I remember reading about what Blessed Mother Teresa said also, and she went on to say that she was talking to a woman who was suffering greatly, and Mother Teresa told her about the kiss of Jesus and the woman said, “Mother Teresa, would you ask Jesus to quit kissing me so much”? 😃
I’ve also heard that when you feel the pain so much, it is because Jesus is holding you so close that you feel the thorns from His crown of thorns. Isn’t that a beautiful thought?

Struggling all the way…I frequently need a Simon of Cyrene to help me…:yup:

I have been dealing with this a lot over the last five years due to chronic illness problems which also caused a lot of financial distress.

I tend to think of my cross as not just one single cross that never changes, but different crosses of different weights, some which are very uncomfortable, some which conform pretty well to my back.

What I am learning is that sometimes I am very accepting of my cross (usually when I’m really not feeling well at all) and other times I’m resentful. I still try to offer it to Our Lord every day, especially when I pray my morning offering prayer. But I haven’t yet really reached the point where I can say I’m joyful of it. I’m accepting most of the time, but not yet joyful.

I do remember one day when I was really feeling horrible, asking the Lord why this was happening again. It was one of those moments where I heard Our Lord in my mind saying “Do you trust Me?” I thought, of course I trust you, Lord. I don’t understand this, but I know that Your ways are not our ways. I would do anything for You, Lord.

I hope some day, with the help of God’s grace, that I can learn to be more joyful in carrying my cross. I have been thankful some days that I can participate in Jesus’ redemptive sacrifice, and I know that one day I’ll get to meet all those people I offered my suffering for and don’t even know yet!

If God causes you to suffer much, it is a sign that He has great designs for you, and that He certainly intends to make you a saint. And if you wish to become a great saint, entreat Him yourself to give you much opportunity for suffering; for there is no wood better to kindle the fire of holy love than the wood of the cross, which Christ used for His own great sacrifice of boundless charity.

– St. Ignatius of Loyola

40.png
Didi:
I hope some day, with the help of God’s grace, that I can learn to be more joyful in carrying my cross. I have been thankful some days that I can participate in Jesus’ redemptive sacrifice, and I know that one day I’ll get to meet all those people I offered my suffering for and don’t even know yet!
Good post Didi. I identify with what you describe.
I too have not yet found ‘joy’ in my cross. But I am beginning to see Jesus in it, and that gives me joy. I do have less repulsion to my cross.
Funny thing, in the last couple weeks circumstances have arrisen that make the weight of the cross more noticable. I can do things to avoid these circumstances…but this week those circumstances came to FIND ME! It was bitter, and painful - but I drank that cup - and almost laughed at the irony, and the humor of God. Although I have tried to avoid it, Jesus often places my cross before me so that I won’t forget how he loves me. Praise be the Holy Name of Jesus.

40.png
contemplative:
I love this perennial song written and song by Carly Simon

The Land of Christmas (Mary)
(Carly Simon)

Take me into your hands
Make me into your prayer
Take me away to the land of Christmas
And dismiss my fear
Show me the way

You see I need a way to pass
through the pain
Breathe it and bear it and rise up again
Where I can receive your kiss
Feel the strength in my heart

And wail like a baby
And sail through the storm
Be tender as Mary
With her newborn son

Is feeling small a very good thing?
Is feeling big really very small?
Where I won’t question your love at all

And when I kneel to you
It doesn’t mean I’ll get the message right
Where I can’t resist surrendering

And I’ll wail like a baby
And sail through the storm
Be tender like Mary
With her newborn son
On Christmas morn
Tender as Mary
With her newborn son

sample it here Listenhttp://g-images.amazon.com/images/G/01/detail/notes_clear.gif
or here

I have my ups and downs. 😉

Here is an interesting quote from St. Escriva:

Many who would willingly let themselves be nailed to a Cross before the astonished gaze of a thousand onlookers cannot bear with a christian spirit the p(name removed by moderator)ricks of each day! Think, then, which is the more heroic.”

40.png
ridesawhitehors:
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

My success in this endeavor is laughable. I could go to confession every week and say I have refused to do it. I have many lovely opportunities to bite my tongue, fail to be amazed/riled at the ornery behavior of my spouse, ignore snide remarks, offer up extensive physical pain, fail to grouse, thank God that my life is what it is, etc. I ignore almost all of them.

I apologized to God for this the other day, and almost managed to worry that I was blowing all these opportunities, etc., but the feeling passed until you reminded me.

If it only hurts a little, then I can offer it up. When pain is excruciating, I beg God for relief. If I am in too much distress, all I care about is when it will stop.

An excellent priest recently told me that my illness is such a blessing, but I don’t accept that yet, as you can see. I think somehow he is right. I am just not onboard with the plan, yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back