How I Overcame Scrupulosity

• Thread starter Thread starter FormerlyScrupulous
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FormerlyScrupulous

I wanted to share some of my thoughts and experiences on this condition because I know how painful and malignant it can be. Scruples caused me to have a pervasively warped view of God, myself, and others. I was so afraid that I would “give consent to a bad thought” that I would sometimes shout in my head for fear of even hearing one. I was so excessively and irrationally critical of my own emotions and mental states that I was inevitably extremely critical of other people (which was itself, of course, sinful, something I never lost sight of and which only fueled my scruples more). I rarely felt the “love of God”. I would say words of love in vocal prayer but couldn’t really believe them. Sometimes I felt like God was a sort of tyrant who watched my every thought ready to throw me into Hell as soon as I slipped - and then I would fear that I had sinned mortally for feeling that way.

The basic way I overcame scruples is not new so I won’t say too much about it. I took communion even with these “doubtful mortal sins of thought” on my conscience. I took a view, in spite of my inclinations, that these scruples were essentially morbid, a sort of neurosis or mental illness. I prayed to Mary to remove them and kept in mind Sirach 33:5 “The heart of a fool is like a cart wheel, and his thoughts like a turning axle,” that is to say, to grow in wisdom we have to use our reason to observe with detachment and sometimes completely ignore our feelings, no matter how strong they might be.

Instead I want to share in these posts the fruits of the victory God gave me. A major problem with the way people talk about scruples and “consenting to a thought” is to say that the consent is sinful if it is “deliberate”. People take “deliberate” to mean “on purpose” when the Latin adjective means something more like “resolved” or even “with deliberation.” All bad thoughts are somewhat “willed”, they come from our concupiscence. If I’m walking down the street and see two sticks in the form of a cross, and am about to step on them, and at the last second think “Oh to hell with it! F*** it!” and step on them, that is not a true mortally sinful thought. It happened to fast. What did I even mean by thinking that? Was I rejecting God, rejecting my scruples, or expressing frustration generally? There’s no way to know. There’s no way to know because it wasn’t a truly deliberate thought. If I’m reading the Gospel accounts of the passion and resurrection and think “These don’t even mesh up… maybe some of it isn’t real…”, acknowledge the doubt without embracing it, and then later do some research to resolve my doubts, that is not a sin. If I’m thinking about something innocent and drift into something impure and then think “I don’t want to think this” and try to distract myself that is not a sin: as soon as my higher reason truly became aware of it I rejected it.

Even if it took a few seconds (like if I’m daydreaming or fatigued) for my higher reason to become engaged it’s not a mortal sin. You need full knowledge AND full, resolved consent present both together at the same time. (cont’d)

Last edited:
People who are not religious absolutely commit grievous sins of thought on a regular basis, especially against the 6th/9th commandments. But if you have a well-formed conscience and are praying and receiving the sacraments, accidentally committing a mortal sin is not the thing you should be afraid of because you won’t. A state of grace is not that fragile. Committing a mortal sin isn’t like hitting a pothole, it’s like intentionally driving your car off the road. It’s not a stumble, it’s jumping off of a cliff.

The real spiritual life of a religious person involves becoming more united with the love of God through prayer, good works, checking the appetites, fighting the venial sins, receiving the sacraments often, etc. etc.

Of course it IS possible to commit a mortal sin of willful thought. People who say “thoughts are never sinful” are obviously wrong. If I decide to murder someone, the very moment, the instant my will was set on the murder is the moment I fell from grace. If I decide to apostasize, the instant of decision is the moment I fell. If I decide to enjoy impure thoughts, at the very second I turned my back on God by embracing the temptation, I entertained mortal sin. But having an idle thought, “I could kill him!”, when talking to someone extremely irritating, is not setting the will on murder. Noticing apparent inconsistencies or alternate explanations for things the Church teaches is not the same thing as apostasy. Being tempted to impurity is not the same thing as consenting to impurity.

I hope this is somewhat helpful to any fellow sufferers. I know if you have bad scrupulosity even a helpful writing will only help for so long and then the doubts will return. “Sure, you need resolved consent, but I think my consent was resolved!” and the wheel will keep spinning. You just need to let go of these worries by working with a confessor, praying, and resolving to use the great gift of reason to despise them. You won’t feel better right away but with God’s help you can get better with time (and some people are helped by medication too). An essential element of being a Christian imo is the grace to trust in God and walk through darkness. Scruples are definitely a form of darkness, really a sort of spiritual blindness, a trial you have to accept but not become attached to.

"Who among you fears the Lord
and obeys the voice of his servant,
who walks in darkness
and has no light,
yet trusts in the name of the Lord
and relies upon his God?

But all of you are kindlers of fire,
lighters of firebrands.
Walk in the flame of your fire,
and among the brands that you have kindled!
This is what you shall have from my hand:
you shall lie down in torment." Isaiah 50:10-11

Last edited:
For me, parenthood helped me overcome a lot of it.

Part of it is the distraction and brainfog that comes along with motherhood dulled the focus of my obcessive thoughts.

Part of it is that being tasked with teaching the Faith to my kids involves making sure they understand God’s love for them. I had always struggled with my own unworthiness, but God’s love as my children seem to understand it was a game changer for me.

I love to hear ways people have overcome this and I pray for anyone in the throws of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back