How important is a wedding reception?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dont_lose_heart
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
…all very valid points I agree but it depends on the persons particular situation; I am just venting my frustration at how over inflated a “wedding reception” cost these days… and how it is not justifiable… i:e for instance; here is an illustration… if I booked a restaurant for a group of people normally it would cost about $15 to $40 for a 3 course meal; but as soon as I mention “wedding”, the price increases to $70 to $120 for a 3 course meal (depending on the restaurant of course)… I can appreciate why people find alternative ways to avoid the expense, so we are now thinking outside the box, thanks for all your suggestions.
If you have a friend who enjoys cooking, ask them to cater the meal for you – you buy the food and they fix it. I would suggest you offer them a small “fee” for preparing the food. More than likely they will see it as their wedding gift to you. I would keep it simple – spaghetti, lasagna – something like that that’s easy to cook in bulk. Then get salad fixings and some iced tea and you’ve got a reception. Most of the stuff you could get in bulk at Sam’s or Costco so you could really stretch your reception budget. Also you could consider making cupcakes as opposed to a wedding cake – I think that was mentioned in an earlier post. They’re easy to make and you can decorate them in different colors reflecting your wedding or your favorites.
 
Hi all,

I am engaged, and have found a church for the wedding. But due to financial contraints, we are thinking of several ways to have a wedding reception and it’s proving difficult, with the cost.

So on Friday my fiance, suggested two ideas; that we should get married in the church, followed by a intimate dinner in a posh restaurant with our close friends and family. Or we get married in the church, followed by a cake and punch reception in the church hall, with the church family and our family, then get on a flight in the evening on our honeymoon and when we return have some drinks with our friends or a BBQ.

I wanted to know how important is it to have a celebration after the wedding ceremony? Any thoughts, or suggestions welcome. Thank you.
The wedding reception is important. It is a celebration between the newly husband and wife among family and friends. It is a bond that you must celebrate and share with those you love. The decoration reflect you commitment. It does not need to be elaborate just a reflection of your values, belief and your commitment to each other.

great place to purchase natural candles is ezptmdsolutions.com. I used them before to purchase candles and soaps as gift. They are pretty good. The candles are plain white, non toxic and natural.
 
Our reception plans are coming along; with all your tips and ideas; it inspired us to start asking our friends, if they knew anyone who could hire us a venue at a reasonable cost (we found a great venue; that is permitting us to take our own drinks, and managed to secure a huge discount on the hiring fee), we then approached another friend about making a cake at a reasonable cost, another friend offered to do the video and take photos, and another have offered to make cupcakes, biscuits etc; for a tea and cake party after the church ceremony; the list continues. We have so many opportunities to make the reception amazing and affordable now, all because we asked around for help from our friends.

Thank you all once again, much appreciated.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top