Blessing Charks.
To answer some of the comments you posed:
Charks:
It seems that infalibility and religious assent are inseperable though, at least in the context of a discussion on apostolic succession. Isn’t infallibility the teeth of apostolic succession?
Rather the teeth of apostolic succession is the infallible knowledge that the militant church (the present magisterium) today does have a uninterrupted succession of teacher that comes all the way from the apostles. Thus, their teaching and their realms come from them.
Can this magisterium make mistakes? CERTAINLY, in the same MANNER as the first magisterium (i.e., the apostles) made those mistakes. Look at Peter, for instance, denied Christ 3 times and then he was rebuked by Paul for Judaizing, yet, no Christian would doubt that the TWO epistles he wrote are INFALLIBLE. (Not infallible because they were “ex-cathedra” statements by Peter, but because the Magisterium of the Church as a whole regarded infallibly that these two letters were indeed written by Peter, and thus were infallible)
The very same Spirit, acting in the very same way, lives on in THe Magisterium of the Church. The Spirit might be in others as well, but does not act in the same way because of the lack of this apostolic succession.
Charks:
Ya’ll help me with this: If I understand correctly, a Catholic position against protestants (generally) is that protestants try to take on the role of interpreting and explaining the bible themselves, which (the argument goes) they are neither qualified nor authorized to do. If this is so, someone is bound to ask “how would one be so qualified?” To which (IIUC), the Catholic would reply “this is answered by the doctrine of apostolic succession.”
Someone is also bound to ask “how would one be so authorized?” To which the Catholic would reply: “the church has the authority”
“And who acts as ‘the church’ in this context?”
“The pope.”
And we’re back to apostolic succession.
NOT just the pope. I remind you that MANY infallible pronouncement have not come from the POPE alone, but from the Magisterium as a whole, as it has occurred in many Ecumenical Councils. To remind you that NOT just the pope has apostolic succession.
Charks:
Now I say all that to say this: Catholics are indignantly opposed to protestants’ efforts to interpret scripture outside of the realm of Catholic apostolic succession.
NO Charks, the opposition is when it is outside of Sacred TRADITION. I can take the Bible, read and interpret it as long as I do so in light of Sacred Tradition. If I don’t, if I take it and interpret it without it, I would be interpreting it as a untaught person, and look what happens when an untaught person interprets the bible:
“16 as also in all his epistles [Paul], speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures.” (2 Peter 3:16).
What is sacred Tradition? THe teaching of the Church that has the Apostolic Succession. IT was in the light of Sacred Tradition that the Canon was chosen and closed. That is why TODAY we know that INFALLIBLY we have 27 books in the New Testament, not one more, not one less. (If I did not believe that the Church that closed the CANON was infallible I would have not way of knowing that infallibly we have the correct number of books and thus, the bible itself would not be infallible as you could not have an infallible way to be sure that you have too few or too many books)
Charks:
But, as far as I have been able to determine, there have been only very few interpretations of scripture/proclamations of doctrine that have enjoyed the benifits of apostolic succession.
NOT SO!! there are MANY (hundreds of them) ! Sarks only ASKED for those that have been infallibly define by the POPE ALONE! Those do not include those defined by Councils, for instance.
Example: The fact that Christians did not need to abide by Mosaic law was not infallibly defined UNTIL the Council of Jerusalem (Acts 15), the trinity was not infallibly defined until the Council of Nicaea and so on and so forth.
CONTINUES