How much detail in Confession

  • Thread starter Thread starter Monica4316
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Monica4316

Guest
Hi, I was wondering, how much detail is enough in confession?

and is there such a thing as too much detail? (for example, for sins against purity, I can imagine the priest must feel uncomfortable if people go into extreme detail here)

I went to Confession today and said all my sins, but for one, I wasn’t sure how to describe it so I just said the basic circumstance around it and the type of sin, but I didn’t go into all the details. Is that alright?

If after doing this I feel anxiety in my mind, should I just not pay attention to that and trust in God’s mercy? I felt contrition for the sin and I don’t want to do it again, and I said what the sin is, I just didn’t go into all the details.

For example (this wasn’t the sin, but) let’s say I was confessing a lie… would I just say “I lied once” and leave out who I lied to, about what, etc?

the only exception I can of, is if a person stole something, they’d have to say how much (1 dollar or million dollars - that’s important)

thanks!🙂
 
Sounds like you did fine. If the priest wanted more information he would of asked.
 
does it matter WHY you didn’t say all the details?

if you didn’t go into unnecessary detail because just saying the sin (with no detail) was already VERY SCARY for you (lol), is that alright?

I sometimes get really nervous during confession, and I say all my sins anyways… and I did this time as well, but used simple language and just stated the sin without describing it in detail

:confused:

I don’t think God would not show mercy to someone just because their confession didn’t sound like an A+ English paper? haha…
 
also after saying the sin I felt peace (in the confessional) and didn’t feel a NEED to go on… I only started doubting much later, once I came back home. And sometimes I get this really strong fear of hell, I don’t know why… but I want to trust in God’s mercy because I tried to be repentant for everything, even if my confession wasn’t perfect. I’m just afraid that I invalidated it by not saying all the detail. What do you think? I’m also scrupulous sometimes so that might be it. Thanks 🙂
 
My missal puts it like this regarding the method of confessing:

“Let your confession be plain, entire, and prudent; neither obscuring your faults, nor concealing anything wilfully, nor saying what would be prejudicial to a third person.”

There are circumstances, as you noted in your first post, where important information would be needed to ascertain the gravity of the sin. So, to take your example, if you were confessing to stealing a million dollars, it would be wrong to hold that information back and give the impression that you had merely stolen some loose change. I think it would be best to be upfront with that kind of information.

However, if the priest feels that he needs more clarification on something you’ve confessed, he’ll ask you. Often, as was the case with my last confession, the priest will ask for more information so that he may give more suitable advice for avoiding a particular sin in future.
 
My missal puts it like this regarding the method of confessing:

“Let your confession be plain, entire, and prudent; neither obscuring your faults, nor concealing anything wilfully, nor saying what would be prejudicial to a third person.”

There are circumstances, as you noted in your first post, where important information would be needed to ascertain the gravity of the sin. So, to take your example, if you were confessing to stealing a million dollars, it would be wrong to hold that information back and give the impression that you had merely stolen some loose change. I think it would be best to be upfront with that kind of information.

However, if the priest feels that he needs more clarification on something you’ve confessed, he’ll ask you. Often, as was the case with my last confession, the priest will ask for more information so that he may give more suitable advice for avoiding a particular sin in future.
thanks 🙂

I feel like what I confessed did cover the sin entirely… there’s not another part to it that I left out… and the word I chose was clear, I think. But it was just one word. with no extra details.

I don’t understand why I feel anxiety about it… :confused:
 
I thought of some examples of the type of thing I’m talking about…

if you say you lied but not about what or to whom
if you say you felt envious of someone but don’t say for what
if you had impure feelings towards someone but don’t explain how you felt, just said the thought was impure
if you said something disrespectful to a parent but dont explain what that was

are all these examples alright?

I’m just trying to understand…

thanks!
 
hi Monica.Just wanted to share with you some thoughts that help me when I go to confesssion. First of all ,I do an examination of conscience.This may go on for days prior or right before.But,fact is that despite the heartfelt examination,because of the many thoughts and emotions going on during confession,i sometimes am guilty of an ommission of one sort or another. As long as Iknow that I gave it my best shot I am at peace.Another words Im not trying to be deceptive. God knows this. Thats because the whole time I examine my conscience I do it in the form of prayer or conversation with God.He goes with me to confess. Another thing,if there isnt lines behind me I often ask priests questions during this time. One last thing, dont fret to much on the precission thing. With as many confessions as they hear I would think they would know if more clarification was needed ,they wont hesitate to ask.And personaly speaking I dont think they need or want all the details.Hope this helps.
 
hi Monica.Just wanted to share with you some thoughts that help me when I go to confesssion. First of all ,I do an examination of conscience.This may go on for days prior or right before.But,fact is that despite the heartfelt examination,because of the many thoughts and emotions going on during confession,i sometimes am guilty of an ommission of one sort or another. As long as Iknow that I gave it my best shot I am at peace.Another words Im not trying to be deceptive. God knows this. Thats because the whole time I examine my conscience I do it in the form of prayer or conversation with God.He goes with me to confess. Another thing,if there isnt lines behind me I often ask priests questions during this time. One last thing, dont fret to much on the precission thing. With as many confessions as they hear I would think they would know if more clarification was needed ,they wont hesitate to ask.And personaly speaking I dont think they need or want all the details.Hope this helps.
thank you 🙂

I wasn’t trying to be deceptive either… I wanted the priest to understand what I’m saying, and I think eventually he did, and said “ok” - he didn’t ask for further clarification.

But even though I said the nature of the sin, I keep on feeling as if it I left it out, because I left out details. I’m going to go and pray about this now I guess.

thanks again, God bless
 
there is a word for the feeling you express.Its a type of venial sin.It goes something to the effect… If God can forgive your sin who are you to ect… sorry dont seem to have any memory any more.Point is your needless prickling of conscience is not only un-necassary but is sinful. Does any one out there know the name of the sin Im refering to is called? Please pray for my mind I lucky I can remember my name anymore.
 
I thought of some examples of the type of thing I’m talking about…

if you say you lied but not about what or to whom
if you say you felt envious of someone but don’t say for what
if you had impure feelings towards someone but don’t explain how you felt, just said the thought was impure
if you said something disrespectful to a parent but dont explain what that was

are all these examples alright?

I’m just trying to understand…

thanks!
Yes, those are all examples that require no more detail than what is stated. I think you have the right idea.

Here is a different example:

Too little detail: “I was impure with a girl.” (Too vague)

Too much detail “Well, my girlfriend and I were driving around, and then we went to her house and no one else was home and so we were starting to, etc. etc. etc., and then we…and finally…” (way too much)

Just the right amount of detail: “I committed the sin of fornication once.” (name the sin, no further details needed.)
 
Hi Monica. My brain finaly kicked in '‘scrupulocity’'was the word I was refering to.It may not be spelled that way but close enough. Look it up and you will see many others including myself struggle with this.Im confident you will get the upper hand on this issue.As always pardon my spelling. Thanks
 
I think the best thing you can do is stop thinking about it. Go read one of the psalms prayerfully. Read a devout book. Just don’t entertain the devil.
 
*OP I thought of some examples of the type of thing I’m talking about…

if you say you lied but not about what or to whom: *You might identify the type of lying: false gossip, lies that cover up other offenses, lies to avoid conflict, lies intended to make other people feel good, lies to make yourself look good, lies to get out of agreements or duties, etc
*OP: if you say you felt envious of someone but don’t say for what * That’s OK.
*OP: if you had impure feelings towards someone but don’t explain how you felt, just said the thought was impure * That’s OK. If you’re indulging the thoughts at a level so that they present a real temptation to follow up with impure actions as well, mention that.
*OP if you said something disrespectful to a parent but dont explain what that was *That’s OK. If it was done with an intent to embarrass them in front of someone or to harm them, add that.

In all these cases, if you don’t give enough detail to satisfy the priest, the priest will ask you if you can elaborate.

In general, look at it the way you would a medical history. Sins are symptoms of a disease of the soul. In order to treat it, the physician doesn’t need every detail, just the details that will help identify the most likely cause and treatment. Just like your doctor, your confessor is allowed to ask you appropriate questions, if he feels more information is needed to care for you. Just like doctors, the exact level of detail a confessor feels he needs will differ from one to another.

Your job is to give a “history” that gives a reasonable picture of where you have chosen to err, done so as to clearly indicate that you are talking about your choices, and not the things you are afflicted with from outside. He knows they are choices, but you need to say it out loud so that you have fully admitted it. The exact details, though, are not important. Be humble enough to admit that your particular sins are not that exciting. After all, it is your repentance that is worth hearing, not your sins.
 
I was at confession today and I and the priest both know that I am very scrupulous… I said if it was ok to not mention all the little things I thought ^might have been sins, but to just say “if I said something or thought something that was too loud or bad or wrong, please forgive me”, he said it was good, God knows it all… Maybe he said that also because I am scrupulous but anyway I thought I’d share.
 
that I commited the sin? Also, if I forget a sin, do I have to say it in the next confession?
 
For mortal sins we’re supposed to confess both kind and number. If you can’t remember you can give the priest an idea like “I did this weekly for a couple of years.”

If you forget to confess a sin it is forgiven anyway. However, if you remember it the next time you go to confession you should mention it.

Remember that confession is an encounter with God’s merciful love. Keep the focus on that and the rest will fall into place.
 
that I commited the sin? Also, if I forget a sin, do I have to say it in the next confession?
I agree wholeheartedly with the answer in post #2…BTW From one convert to another…Congratulations on being received into the Church this year! Welcome home! 👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top