H
Heart_Foam
Guest
Well, that’s a bit uncharitable.False.
The attempt to use Msgr Fenton’s comments in 1958 to refute the teaching of the Popes is typical of those who don’t know what they’re talking about.
Well, that’s a bit uncharitable.False.
The attempt to use Msgr Fenton’s comments in 1958 to refute the teaching of the Popes is typical of those who don’t know what they’re talking about.
If you won’t answer me, then I won’t answer you.Heart Foam,
All four promises to Peter alone:
- Do you accept the biblical record of Christ instituting His Church and giving His teaching and binding authority to St Peter?
“You are Peter and on this rock I will build My Church.” (Mt 16:18)
“The gates of hell will not prevail against it.”(Mt 16:18)
I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven." ( Mt 16:19)
“Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven.” (Mt 16:19) [Later to the Twelve].
Sole authority:
“Strengthen your brethren.” (Lk 22:32)
“Feed My sheep.”(Jn 21:17).
- Do you assent to Christ’s teaching ““if he refuses to hear even the Church let him be like the heathen and a publican.” (Mt 18:17)?
First, Stephen, you’ll need to answer the dozens of questions that have been posed to you in other threads in which you have left.If you won’t answer me, then I won’t answer you.![]()
View them as your brothers and sisters in Christ. View them as part of the wider Church. The fullness of Truth lies within the Catholic Church, but as we move outside of this there is still truth, particularly within other Christian denominations.I am a reverting Catholic – I began my journey Home about 2 months ago coming from Evangelical Protestantism – and I am having trouble knowing how to view Christian Traditions that are non-Catholic.
I agree! good post!View them as your brothers and sisters in Christ. View them as part of the wider Church. The fullness of Truth lies within the Catholic Church, but as we move outside of this there is still truth, particularly within other Christian denominations.
They are most likely good decent Christians, and salvation is not denied to them because they are not part of the visible Catholic Church (anyone who maintains that salvation is denied to them ought to read their Catechism, particularly one that contains extracts from Vatican II documents).
Such a selfist presumption underscores all the other presumptions called Protestantism.Heart Foam #43
The true Church is ultimately defined on Protestant lines: as a spiritual body of all true believers independent of the visible church.
How did you understand what I saidNothing erroneous at all. What you said implies that there is a conceptual difference between the set of people who are in the visible Catholic church and the set of people who will be saved. There may be overlap, but they are not synonymous.
There’s nothing new there.But if the 4th Lateran Council is to be taken seriously, then the Church for which Christ died is equal to the visible Church founded on Peter, based in Rome.
providing they live their faith faithfully to the endIt follows then, that all who are in this Church of Christ, the Body of Christ, are promised salvation.
I needed to make a few corrections-]One’s behaviour, or even one’s faith, then is not the criterion by which God judges you to be part of His Church,/-] -]because/-] -]simple /-]membership in the -]external society - the /-]Catholic church - and following -]the club rules /-] what the Church teaches, makes one part of Christ’s Church, a child of God, and heir to eternal life.
Re: the 4 Marks of the Church, If I’m reading you correctly, I think what you are trying to reconcile in your mind, what is meant by the Church is holy, when you see unholy members in her.and you say that the wicked and unbelieving in the Catholic church are actually *not *going to be saved (and you do), then you have to radically alter your definition of the Church for which Christ died and to whom the promise of salvation is made.
The Catholic Church wrote the NT, for Catholics in the Catholic Church. She collected the books she deemed scripture, and canonized those works in 382 at the Council of Rome. The same exact canon that was again validated at Trent. Luther 1300+ years after the council of Rome, decided he had a problem with James, Jude, Hebrews, and Revelations, and wanted to remove those books on his own, but his fellow revolutionaries in crime convinced him to leave them alone. But he did however remove 7 OT books from the canon which reflects Protestant versions of the bible down to today.In fact, you will have to define the Church as the Bible does and as Protestants do: as a spiritual body of all believers, distinct from any earthly visible organisation.
#14].Such a selfist presumption underscores all the other presumptions called Protestantism.
The error lies in not assenting to the obvious fact that Christ established His Church with St Peter as his Supreme Vicar with His Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, seven sacraments, Sacred Tradition, Sacred Scripture and His Magisterium, all missing, or lacking in some way without Her, the fact obscured by the presumptive errors.
Thus, from the first, the faithful “remained faithful to the teaching of the Apostles, to the brotherhood, to the breaking of bread, and to the prayers.” (Acts 2:42). So, as Jesus commanded, His Church has the Eucharist (Holy Mass), His seven sacraments, the primacy and infallibility of the pope, Her Tradition and Her Sacred Scriptures.
Christ has redeemed mankind. For salvation, it is possible only through Christ’s Church which is His sole means of salvation.
The truth through Christ’s Magisterium is stark: “Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it, or to remain in it." [Vatican II, in the *Dogmatic Constitution on the Church
Come on Heart Foam. You re-define the Catholic faith and then attack the straw man. I’ve seen you do this in other posts too.It’s clear that when pushed your doctrine cannot be consistent.
I would like two things from you since you brought them up.But this position is contradicted by what you, and Spina1953, and Della, and every other Catholic says when it comes to the fact that not only “separated brethren” can be saved, but that not even everyone within the Catholic church will be saved.
Actually, a valid marriage involving a Catholic requires the Catholic form of marriage–vows before a Catholic minister with jurisdiction–or a dispensation from that requirement. So the marriage could be “inside the church,” if the required dispensation was gotten.T…
If Protestants are “in” the Church, regardless of stripe, by virtue of a valid baptism, then it shouldn’t matter if a Catholic, hops around through Protestantism…right? But we know the Church condemns that idea. So In effect when we test the premise, of who is in and who is outside the Church, and we see condemnations for a Catholic going in the direction of Protestantism, then how can it be said Protestants are “in” the Church?
Also
If a Catholic marries a validly baptised Protestant in a Protestant assembly, by a Protestant pastor, did the Catholic get married inside the Church or outside the Church
outside…right?
They are individually members of the Body of Christ, but their faith and their traditions lack the fullness of the Gospel and the doctrines that can help them be assured of heaven. And so, while individually members of the Body, as churches they do not have that status.
It is difficult to know the condition or state of our own conscience let alone someone else’s. We simply have to love them as our brothers and sisters, and refrain from judging them. By loving them we will pray for them and respond to their needs and offer any assistance to them that we can. I feel judging them is a non ending task which leads to ill will, which is not what Jesus wants.I am a reverting Catholic – I began my journey Home about 2 months ago coming from Evangelical Protestantism – and I am having trouble knowing how to view Christian Traditions that are non-Catholic.
In my reversion, I am coming to deep conclusions that the Roman Catholic Church truly is the One, Holy, Catholic, Apostolic Church that Jesus founded on Peter. I am also beginning to have faith in this Church and accepting and seeking to understand these “hard” doctrines like Purgatory and Praying to Mary.
All the while, I am trying to understand how to view other traditions of Christianity. I currently go to Moody Bible Institute (I am not going next semester, because I am reverting to Catholicism) and I am surrounded by mostly really nice people that really love Jesus and God. I hear about amazing testimonies of God bringing people to the knowledge of His Son Jesus and of people being helped by receiving food and other necessities… all coming from an Evangelical Protestant Tradition. What does God think about all of this? Does He think, “It doesn’t matter what tradition my Children adhere to, all that matters is that they seek to worship me and love me in Spirit and in Truth”? Or does He think, “I am seeking to draw them closer to me through the Church that I have founded but they keep resisting; I recognize their good works in my Name, but I am displeased that they reject those who are my true ambassadors”?
Any help that you all could send my way would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!