How sick must one be, before they are excused from Mass?

• Thread starter Thread starter dumspirospero
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dumspirospero

This is a question that I am pondering in my head, because I am sick right now and I would like to remain in the bed this morning…yet I know it is a mortal sin to miss Mass, and I don’t like missing Mass anyway…I enjoy being able to go to Mass. Granted, I am not close to the point of hospitalization, but I am infact sick. How sick must one be before they are excused from their Sunday obligation.

I remembered what Jesus said, that the Sabbath was made for man. That being so, God is not offended if we miss Mass due to a good reason. I missed mass twice recently when my vehicle had problems. The battery went dead because I forgot and left the door open all night, and the dome light used up all the power. :mad:
I don’t believe God would want me to call a cab or walk to Church just to fulfill my Sunday obligation. (I am new in this town and had nobody to call for a ride, either)

Mama always said, if I am too sick to go to church, I am too sick to go anywhere else, and would not permit me to leave the house all day. 😃 Only you know how true this is for your situation. I would hope you don’t develop a scruple about it.

I agree, if you would miss school or work, or any other obligation, then I feel you would be excused from Mass.

And I agree that if you miss Mass and then feel up to going somewhere else (especially for recreation) that would be wrong.

Also if you have a fever or a strept throat or any other serious contageous illlness (I wouldn’t stay home for a slight cold) it would be better to stay home, both for yourself and for the other people.

Does your parish offer a 5PM Sunday Mass? Maybe you’ll feel well enough by then to go… and sit in the back! 🙂

40.png
Mysty101:
Also if you have a fever or a strept throat or any other serious contageous illlness (I wouldn’t stay home for a slight cold) it would be better to stay home, both for yourself and for the other people.
I’ll echo this. A lot of people who go to Mass are elderly and babies who both have less-than-perfect immune systems.

If you’ve been up all night with your illness, you’re dog-tired, have been taking cold meds and are feeling a little on the woozy side, you should probably think twice about driving to Mass until you’re more mentally alert. Don’t risk getting into an accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back