H
HeWillProvide
Guest
What are some good ways to really see strangers as brothers and sisters in Jesus and not just random people walking down the street?? How can we learn to treat everyone with the respect they deserve?
The quote of Mother Teresa is a great thought. I have heard the idea expressed as, “A smile is the first sign of God’s love.”My :twocents: I feel that all of us, can at least do the small things… even with people we don’t know.
Hold doors open for people. Give other drivers your “right of way”. Give up your seat on a bus, especially for an elderly or disabled person. Give coupons you’re not going to use, to others in the supermarket. Learn peoples names… and then, CALL them by name. And a very important one… SMILE at people! Especially if someone appears to be sad, or lonely. SMILE at them!
This is an awesome quote, from Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta:
“Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love”.
It’s amazing, how often good works and new friendships, will blossom… from just one smile.
God bless.
Practice! When I was a child I did all these things without thinking. Then I got out of practice. Now respect, courtesy, and a smile are what I can manage easily while thinking about it. It sure seems to need a lot of practice to get back to these things.The quote of Mother Teresa is a great thought. I have heard the idea expressed as, “A smile is the first sign of God’s love.”
The other ideas listed are good, too.
Treating others with respect is a habit. Good habits take practice. One way I practice this is to pick a virtue to emphasize for the year and look for ways to enact that virtue in my daily life. This year’s virtue is kindness.
God bless
But wouldn’t this be “fake” love because I am doing it out of fear? Meaning, I don’t really “mean” it - like, I don’t really “mean” my smile at that person over there, I am just doing it because I am “supposed” to…? Does it not “count” because the smiles/kindness aren’t “genuine” but forced??Matthew 25 verses 31-46…Jesus’ words inspire us to be kind to strangers, acquaintances or loved ones. He goes so far as to say that salvation depends upon our charity towards other people, which He regards as charity directly given to Him.
“The Last Judgement”
“When the Son of Man comes in all His glory, escorted by all the angels, then he will take his seat on his throne of glory. All the nations will be assembled before him and he will separate men from one another as the shepherd separates sheep from goats.
He will place the sheep on his right hand and the goats on his left. then the King shall say to those on his right hand,” Come you whom my Father has blessed, take for your heritage the kingdom prepared for you since the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food; I was a stranger and you made me welcome. I was thirsty and you gave me drink; I was a stranger and you made me welcome; naked and you clothed me; sick and you visited me, in prison and you came to see me.
Then the virtuous will say to him in reply, “Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you; or thirsty and give you drink? When did we see you hungry and feed you; or thirsty and give you drink? When did we see you a stranger and make you welcome; naked and clothe you; sick or in prison and go to see you?
And the King will answer, " I tell you solemnly, in so far as you did this to one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did it to me.”
Next he will say to those on his left “Go away from me with your curse upon you, to the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels, for when I was hungry you never gave me food; I was thirsty and you never gave me anything to drink; I was a stranger and you never made me welcome, naked and you never clothed me, sick and in prison and you never visited me.”
Then it will be their turn to ask, “Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty; a stranger or naked, sick or in prison, and not come to your help?”
Then he will answer, “I tell you solemnly, in so far as you neglected to do this to one of the least of these, you neglected to do it to me.” And they will go away to eternal punishment, and the virtuous to eternal life."