How to deal with my brother?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ThatOrthodoxGuy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

ThatOrthodoxGuy

Guest
Greetings in Christ,

I will go ahead and say I’m sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot. My brother is only 20 years old and he has had a weird turn in politics over the years. My family and I are very conservative and We stick with the Churches teaching on everything. I started to notice about a month ago some weird books in the house. The books were by a man named Harold Covington, someone I have never heard of before. But long story short my brother has become a very racist person by reading these books. He has joined something called the Northwest Front? What should I do or say? I am at a lost when he challenges me 🤷 I need help on what to say to him and this bad way to view things:(

Here is a link to their website I found www.northwestfront.org
 
Wow, I went on the website. The first thing that stuck out was everyone is blonde or light, light brown. I remember meeting an older German lady who talked to me about how blue eyed people were becoming extinct because the brown eyed (dominate) gene was over riding and how horrible it was (not sure why she was telling me, I do have hazel eyes but all my children and husband have brown) I guess I was the lessor of two evils? Anyway she seemed to have this attitude that this website does. Scary and so sad. Pray that he will be enlightened to how wrong this is. Sorry I don’t have any advice, You could actually read the books and then base arguments on what they believe in so you can counter what they preach? (Just don’t get sucked in)
 
It looks like your brother wants to be a part of something bigger than himself. Help him foster humility so he can use this desire for God’s will. Maybe he would be interested in going to the March for Life? Set a good example.
 
Greetings in Christ,

I will go ahead and say I’m sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot. My brother is only 20 years old and he has had a weird turn in politics over the years. My family and I are very conservative and We stick with the Churches teaching on everything. I started to notice about a month ago some weird books in the house. The books were by a man named Harold Covington, someone I have never heard of before. But long story short my brother has become a very racist person by reading these books. He has joined something called the Northwest Front? What should I do or say? I am at a lost when he challenges me 🤷 I need help on what to say to him and this bad way to view things:(

Here is a link to their website I found www.northwestfront.org
Well, this is not good. This is from the website:
The Northwest Front is a political organization of Aryan men and women who recognize that an independent and sovereign White nation in the Pacific Northwest is the only possibility for the survival of the White race on this continent.
It’s very hard to deprogram people. It’s a like a gang, he feels accepted, he feels respected, he feels empowered. Attacking him or his beliefs will probably do more harm than good.

You can find some good material on cults and how to deal with people who have been taken in, but, my instinct is this: they always try and separate the person from family and outside influence. So, don’t talk about any of it with him but invite him around as much as possible, do things as a family or with him as brother. Ask his advice about things not related to his new passion. Pray. If you can stay in contact with him for a few years and make him more a part of your life, I believe he will simply grow out of this.
 
Wow, I went on the website. The first thing that stuck out was everyone is blonde or light, light brown. I remember meeting an older German lady who talked to me about how blue eyed people were becoming extinct because the brown eyed (dominate) gene was over riding and how horrible it was (not sure why she was telling me, I do have hazel eyes but all my children and husband have brown) I guess I was the lessor of two evils? Anyway she seemed to have this attitude that this website does. Scary and so sad. Pray that he will be enlightened to how wrong this is. Sorry I don’t have any advice, You could actually read the books and then base arguments on what they believe in so you can counter what they preach? (Just don’t get sucked in)
You never know…

It’s been said that Alexander the Great had blonde hair with one eye blue and the other was green… You don’t see that anymore. 🤷
 
The least common eye color is grey, but there have been people who have had red, black and violet colored eyes throughout history…
 
You never know…

It’s been said that Alexander the Great had blonde hair with one eye blue and the other was green… You don’t see that anymore. 🤷
I just read that Alexander actually conquered Egypt and was officially declared Pharoh for 9 years. …Learn something new everyday. 😉
 
I hope you guys are praying for him. Do you and your brother ever go and just hang out or do stuff together?
 
I hope you guys are praying for him. Do you and your brother ever go and just hang out or do stuff together?
Well I stay pretty busy with school But we do sometimes. We are praying for him :byzsoc:
 
He probabally needs help finding a better goup of friends, or a nice girl to distract him from that kind of garbage.
 
He probabally needs help finding a better goup of friends, or a nice girl to distract him from that kind of garbage.
He is very radical in his veiws and the men he hangs out with does not help but i agree he needs a change
 
This is first of all something for your father to handle.

What you can do is to set a good example with your own life, but also to hang out with him and invite him to circles of good friends.

I hope your brother will learn better in time!
 
Greetings in the Most Precious Name of our Lord.

I agree with the other poster who said that he seems to be looking for a cause to join that’s bigger than himself - or maybe just somewhere he can fit in. Such groups can be very persuasive: Hitler effectively seduced/brainwashed a group of people, as did Lenin and Mao, etc.

My suggestion is to get him as far away from that material as possible and try to get him back under sane influences. Brainwashing is only effective when you subject the person to propaganda nonstop or for extended periods of time. Tthis is why many cults have communes or secluded resorts where the only mental stimulation people receive comes from the cult, while at the same time they sever ties with family members and other stable voices from the outside world, like television or internet. If you can get him away from the source of the information or inject other, sane sources, it will be helpful. Other members of the board have mentioned getting him into a better group of friends, and I completely agree. It also wouldn’t hurt to spend more time with him if it’s possible, since you seem to be a pretty level-headed person yourself.

Doing the above, though, won’t be completely efficient in itself. Even if you get him into different activities where he can’t read his propaganda, he can still think about it, or interpret his world in light of it. This is why I’d also encourage you to combat the notions he’s hearing from these books directly. It doesn’t sound like he’s been a racist all his life; therefore, show him examples of people in his past whom he admires or looks up to that weren’t blonde-haired and blue-eyes. Maybe a teacher or a neighbor or a good friend. Maybe even try to catch him- for example:

You: You and Joe used to be great friends when you were younger, right?
Him: Yeah! I loved hanging out with Joe.
You: Well, do you remember what eye color Joe had?
Him: No
You: It must have been blue, right?
Him: It must have been.
You: Actually, Joe had brown eyes and brown hair.

Best of luck!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top