How to fulfill corporal works of mercy

• Thread starter Thread starter Fidem
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fidem

Hello. I would like options to fulfill this 2 works of mercy: visit the captive and visit the sick.

I mean, it sounds rather exotic in today’s world to show randomly in a prison or an hospital and start visiting people. Maybe I am wrong or being too mundane, but it is like I perceive the current situation.

Does material help to these people or to those who actually visit and help them could be good enough?

Can you arrange With the administrators an interactive online Bible study? Or other interactive online groups Such as an interactive arts and crafts thing, and send them the necessary supplies to be able to join?

Hello. I would like options to fulfill this 2 works of mercy: visit the captive and visit the sick.
That’s great, but don’t be under the mistaken impression you have to personally do all of the works of mercy. We have different charisms, so some are called to one versus another.
I mean, it sounds rather exotic in today’s world to show randomly in a prison or an hospital and start visiting people
You cannot do either so don’t try it. First, inquire at your parish or diocese about prison and hospital ministry. These often require training and background checks, and are coordinated with the hospital and jail.
Does material help to these people or to those who actually visit and help them could be good enough?
Yes, you can support those who conduct these ministries and/or do them yourself.

Last edited:
Visit nursing homes. I consider the residents captive, and most of them are in poor health. Where COVID-related policies are limiting visitors, consider keeping in touch with a resident through a pen pal program. Here’s one example: Katie Couric shares pen pal program for nursing home residents

A number of parishes run meal train ministries. An email blast will be sent out so that you can sign up to bring a home-cooked meal to somebody who’s recovering from loss, surgery, or childbirth.

Or you could look into the more direct-contact prison ministry and bring the Eucharist to inmates.

I don’t necessarily see the corporal works of mercy as nitpicky checklist. If you live your life in a spirit of kindness towards others, you’re inevitably going to cover all of the bases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back