How to investigate/test Catholicism in a non-sinful way

• Thread starter Thread starter radishbo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

radishbo

I have a great deal of questions about the Church and the faith, ranging from historical to philosophical. These questions can and do turn into doubts as I really dig into them in my head and as I uncover answers from non-Catholic sources.

I know that apologetics requires asking questions, and that we have to question our faith in order to be secure in it. But asking questions and maintaining faith at the same time feels contradictory to me. If I’m asking a question, it’s because I don’t know the answer - but if I have faith, then I do know the answer, so why ask it at all?

If I ask a question and seriously allow/entertain the possibility that the answer will not support Catholic teachings, that feels sinful to me. But if I ask a question without entertaining this possibility, then it feels pointless.

How do you walk the line of conducting a fruitful investigation of your own faith, without committing the sin of disbelief/loss of faith?

Belief is a choice, made by our rational minds.
and as I uncover answers from non-Catholic sources.
Imagine for a moment you want to know about a person. Who is best to answer your questions about them: their ex-romance partner, their enemy, or their friends and family?

but if I have faith, then I do know the answer, so why ask it at all?
Nobody knows everything so does that mean nobody really has faith?

Just because you have faith does not mean you know all there is to know or understand about your faith. Faith and knowledge are not synonymous.

Peace!!!

as I uncover answers from non-Catholic sources.
Until a few years ago the only thing I knew about Catholicism was what I had been told about it by other groups, none of whom had any desire to cast it in a positive light. So I decided to find out what the church itself teaches. This Church, despite what I thought I knew about it for fifty some years, is a very Christ-oriented organization, the world’s oldest Christian denomination, and the ones who alone for centuries preserved, copied and re-copied the scriptures so that today’s vast collection of sects would have the collection of manuscripts we call the bible. Everything I had previously been taught about it was wrong. Everything.

Today I still read criticisms of Catholicism, but with a much different view and with decidedly different conclusions. Catholicism is a blast, says Dr. David Anders. I totally agree. 🙂

Last edited:
There is NOTHING wrong with doubting. It is not sinful to have doubts. You should always question and always search for Truth…else, it is what some refer to as “blind faith.” Can you 100% prove that God exists? No. You can’t, none of us can (else everyone would believe and there would be no discussion). Yet when we compile the evidence and make a decision based on Faith this is true Faith.

Choosing to not believe sure THAT is a sin, but that would imply that you choose to not believe knowing that there is truth before you and you are either not acting on it or ignoring it.

Maybe you should look at this in a different light. Maybe God is calling you to be more knowledgeable, to seek the truths of your faith and know God more intimately. Maybe this is so you can help someone else who is asking questions like yourself.

Last edited:
I know that apologetics requires asking questions, and that we have to question our faith in order to be secure in it. But asking questions and maintaining faith at the same time feels contradictory to me. If I’m asking a question, it’s because I don’t know the answer - but if I have faith, then I do know the answer, so why ask it at all?
The main site here has many articles that accurately describe Church teachings and I would reccommend looking through them and see for yourself. Non-Catholic sources aren’t always accurate and in some cases can be hostile.

Imagine for a moment you want to know about a person. Who is best to answer your questions about them: their ex-romance partner, their enemy, or their friends and family?
Personally, I would want to hear what all of them have to say.

Faith will not be lost if in your mind you classify the issue as a difficulty while you investigate. Like Bl John Henry Newman said: ‘Ten thousand difficulties do not make one doubt’.

“I don’t know” are the most powerful words a person can say - some people don’t like to hear that phrase. It opens the mind and allows you to search for deeper truth. If you can’t say it your locked in and could miss a deeper truth. Some think these are very dangerous words when comes to religion.

If I ask a question and seriously allow/entertain the possibility that the answer will not support Catholic teachings, that feels sinful to me. But if I ask a question without entertaining this possibility, then it feels pointless.
First of all, do not care that much about feelings. They are often misleading.

Instead, consider a similar question in another context.

Let’s say you have a textbook of Mathematics. And it gives a mathematical theorem with a proof.

And that proof is of type reductio ad absurdum - it makes a temporary assumption that the theorem is wrong and shows that this assumption leads to contradiction.

So, do you have to take that temporary assumption “seriously”? Well, you have to take it seriously in the sense that you have to explore what would be true if it was true seriously. But you do not have to seriously wonder that, perhaps, it will be found to be true in the end. After all, the theorem has been stated already. You already know it is true.

Likewise, you do not have to seriously wonder “Maybe Catholicism is not true?” while investigating what would have to be true if Catholicism was not true.
I have a great deal of questions about the Church and the faith, ranging from historical to philosophical. These questions can and do turn into doubts as I really dig into them in my head and as I uncover answers from non-Catholic sources.
Then do not read non-Catholic sources for now.

Investigate non-Catholic views in a controlled environment. For example, read various relevant threads in this forum. There you will see views and arguments of non-Catholics and Catholic responses.

If finding out more information about your faith leads you closer to God and makes you a better resource and guide for others, go for it! But I usually use the rule of thumb, if it leads you closer to God, do it; if it leads you away from Him, don’t.

It is not sinful to want more information around why we believe certain things, or even to doubt it when uneducated. But if there is no answer and it is a key essential in faith, or if it is in the Bible at all or if the Church declares it, you must take it on faith. As for nonessential beliefs like unapproved private revelations and whatnot, that’s your choice.

As for non-Catholic vs Catholic sources: it can be good to know the possible doubts or questions regarding a topic and the different views about it. But if Catholic sources give an answer and explanation and non-Catholic sources give a different one, obviously we must choose to believe the Catholic belief if it is an essential point of faith the Church takes a stance on. It only makes sense to buy into the Catholic beliefs, because, after all, we are Catholic!

Just be careful trying to prove or over-analyze the faith. Many atheists claim there is no proof of God and have all of these made up reasons why not. If our faith in God was to be based on our complete understanding of Him, only God would believe in God.

1 Corinthians 3:19-20 “For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God’s sight. As it is written: “He catches the wise in their craftiness”; and again, “The Lord knows that the thoughts of the wise are futile.”

So if anyone thinks himself a “wise guy” and tries to disprove the Christian/Catholic Faith, it is foolishness. Now if you simply want more information or reasoning behind a subject, go for it, but keep “your heart and mind guarded in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6-7) “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

God bless you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back