How to kindly tell somebody to stop using God's name in vain

• Thread starter Thread starter tori2323
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tori2323

the more I learn about how breaking the second commandment offends God so much, the more I want to prevent it from being broken as much as possible. I believe Our Lady said in some apparitions that Our Lord is extremely angry at the second commandment being broken so much.

I know a lot of people who use His name so liberally, such as in the workplace. Is there a way I can tell my co-workers who take His name in vain to stop? Obviously, I don’t want to be rude in going about it, so suggestions would be appreciated!

I once heard a great response to this, from the friend of a nurse. A doctor was constantly saying the “JC” version, and the devout Catholic nurse was really bothered by it. She started treating it as though the doctor expected an answer, and responded with “Praise him!” or “Praise his name!” He was completely taken aback. Over time he stopped.

When I hear this in public and I’m not in a position to do anything about it, I say the first few two lines of the Divine Praises under my breath, “Blessed be God. Blessed be his holy name.” It often becomes a nice little meditation in the middle of an active part of the day.

I’ve been known to respond to folks who say “G-D” with “umm… no He doesn’t!”. Kinda stops them in their tracks. 🙂

Most times people use these utterances mindlessly, out of habit, not intentionally to offend God or others.

You are not required to correct your coworkers. In the US if you work for a corporation, you’d need to see if there is a policy.

Talking to co-workers could backfire “I’m a Christian, please don’t use that language” what if the offender says “oh, are you saying I’m not a Christian??”

I’d suggest you simply say a silent prayer, focus on how Christ did not speak up during His passion.

I’d suggest you simply say a silent prayer, focus on how Christ did not speak up during His passion.
Amen.

My big worry to you OP, is that the backfire effect will kick in and they’ll take their language up a notch just to offend or bother you. 😦

As a Christian you need to keep quiet. Keep to yourself your concern for Our Lord. Don’t speak up in defense of His name. Especially at work!

Just yesterday a family member said it ,and I quietly replied I tell Jesus I love him each time I hear it.
That member is a lapsed Catholic and did ponder .

yeah, I do that already. Whenever I hear somebody say God or Jesus in that way, I bow my head slightly and say “blessed be the name of Jesus”. at least that way, reparation is made for using His name needlessly, and hopefully some of His anger is appeased 😉

it’s just frustrating sometimes how people can break the second commandment like that and not realize how offended Our Lord is by that.

it’s just frustrating sometimes how people can break the second commandment like that and not realize how offended Our Lord is by that.
As a mom, when my son was young he said the cutest things and he said some embarrassing, hurtful and offensive things.

I have dwarfism and will remember forever when little 5 year old said earnestly “I don’t want to have a little mommy, I want Mrs. K to be my mommy.”. He was not angry or saying it out of spite, he just said it.

I was not offended, he was a child.

Babies pass gas or poop whenever the urge strikes them. They grab people, pinch or scratch people, no rational parent is offended by these things.

God is far more loving than I am. When people say these things out of habit, in a moment of emotion, I’d think He has the same parental reaction.

The spiritual life is growing and maturing. As we grow in grace, the imperfections, the words we speak, the thoughts we have, the reaction to frustrations change.

Try to remember that God sees that person where they are. Keep being a loving joyful kind example of light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back