How to pray for someone else's intentions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pianofish
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pianofish

Guest
I’m sorry if this is a dumb question, but how does one pray for someone else’s intentions? For example, we should pray for the intentions of the Holy Father, but I’m confused on how to do that. Do I just go about my prayers and then add, “And for the intentions of the Holy Father” and that’s that? Is that all it is or is there more? Again, sorry if this is a really stupid question and thanks for your help. 😊
 
If you are offering a decade for example, you can say before praying it, “I offer these prayers for the intentions of the Holy Father.” If you forget to say that before praying, you could always add after your prayers, “And I dedicate these prayers for the intention of the Holy Father.”
 
I’m sorry if this is a dumb question, but how does one pray for someone else’s intentions? For example, we should pray for the intentions of the Holy Father, but I’m confused on how to do that. Do I just go about my prayers and then add, “And for the intentions of the Holy Father” and that’s that? Is that all it is or is there more? Again, sorry if this is a really stupid question and thanks for your help. 😊
Hi Pianofish,

There is no such thing as a “stupid” question, so please don’t feel bad for asking. 🙂

You’re correct in your thinking. How you want to do your prayer intentions, is perfectly fine. You can add in your intentions for the Pope that way, at the beginning of your prayers, or at the end, if you forget. You can do the same thing if you are also praying for someone else, too.
 
I always say: For the intention of the Pope/Holy Souls in Purgatory/conversion of sinners/lukewarm souls etc.

Nice and easy.
 
When I’m asked to pray for someone’s intentions, I imagine talking to God as I would a good friend and telling him who I need top pray for.

“Dear Jesus, please bless John. He has a surgery coming up and is scared. Please be with him and help the doctors heal him. Dear Jesus, please listen to our Holy Father. Protect him. Help him guide the church. He’s asked us to pray for immigrants. Please bless immigrants everywhere, help us be welcoming of them…” etc etc
 
When you pray the Liturgy of the Hours, you are praying for the intentions of the entire Church and her members.

However if you have a more specific intention, such as a family member who is ill, or has a special need, at the end of the intercessions you can add an intention for that person.

If one tried to pray for every single intention that passes by us here every day, we’d be on our knees all day! :eek:

So when I read a prayer intention on-line I say a short prayer on-the-spot for that person’s intention, and then I figure the rest of the time is covered in the LOTH.

Recently my son was on a 3-month cycle journey around South America with three friends, and I had a more specific intention that I prayed every Lauds and Vespers for a safe journey and a safe return (and I’m happy to report that God heard my prayers and he is now home and safe 🙂 )
 
Just add : Jesus, I offer this prayer for…

Before every rosary

Example: Jesus, I offer this prayer for the holy father, for conversion of sinners

Then start praying the rosary.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top