How would you answer in such situations?

  • Thread starter Thread starter LeonardDeNoblac
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LeonardDeNoblac

Guest
An atheist recently told me that Christians are not “open minded” - because we think that our religion is the only true one and all the other religions are false (basically, because they don’t embrace religious indifferentism - that is, the application of relativism on religion ). What do you think would be the best answer? Should I tell such people that even atheists are not “open minded”, because a lot of them - basically the majority of the atheists I know, including that one - think and openly say that people who believe in God do so only out of ignorance or stupidity (another atheist recently told me that the fact that I am certain of the existence of God is a sign of my stupidity ) and that they also believe all religions to be false? Should I point them the inconsistencies of relativism (wich I think that atheist embraces, sine he once said that there’s nothing that is always true )? Or should I simply say that they are just using labels and arguing ad hominem?
 
Last edited:
Not sure about what the best answer would be. This may help:


A quote:
They often say you should be open-minded and try the concepts of No Estimates first .

They conflate open-mindedness with you should accept my suggestion, because of Your Choice of Logical Fallacy Goes Here .
Sounds relevant.

In any case, I personally don’t waste my time with such arguments. Let them think whatever they want.

Or flip it around. Ask them if they ever seriously studied and considered Christianity. Why not? Who’s being close-minded? G.K. Chesterton once said:
Christianity has not been tried and found wanting ; it has been found difficult and not tried.
 
Last edited:
An atheist recently told me that Christians are not “open minded” - because we think that our religion is the only true one and all the other religions are false
Well, logically speaking two opposite things can’t both be true. If someone is arguing that the the earth is flat (and some do), is it “open minded” to indulge them in this belief even though the earth is not flat?

Objective truth exists.
What do you think would be the best answer?
We can’t speak for other religions, but the Catholic Church does not shun other religions or religious ideas. The Church acknowledges that other religions contain some truth. Other religions contain beauty. Other religions contain a search for God.
 
An atheist recently told me that Christians are not “open minded” -…
Not being openminded is defined as prejudiced, which is showing a dislike or distrust based on fixed or preconceived ideas – ideas formed before having the evidence for its truth or usefulness. However Christians do have evidence for the ideas that constitute Christian beliefs. It is true that some may limit development of some doctrines, but does not imply that it is without reason or evidence.
 
When you come to the correct answer (Truth) all other options cannot be regarded as equally true, so yes, you have to ‘close’ your mind to a degree.
If 1+1 = 2, there is little point in entertaining the consideration that 1+1= 3.
Your friend might relativize your answer but not all human truths can be proved by the scientific method.
 
I would say that an agnostic can make that argument, but an atheist can’t. Beyond that I wouldn’t do much. Many of the atheists I know need to keep fighting in order to prop up their certainty. I wouldn’t help them with that.
 
I tell them that me having an open mind is what got my from being an atheist to knowing that god is true and that Catholicism is true.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top