A question was posed to me, and please need help responding to it:
*And that He have two natures, human and divine. And that He has two wills, also that of the human and divine.
On person, I can easily understand from scriptures that Christ is only one person.
On nature, I can easily understand from scriptures that Christ have two natures, yet being one person.
On will, it is true that there is a divine will and a human will. But will relates not on nature but on the person.
**So, if Christ is one person, how can he have two wills? Having two wills makes Christ not a single person, but two. ***
Any comment on the last (bolded part)?
It is my understanding that the will does relate to nature. It is a faculty of the human and angelic souls, as well as of God’s divine nature.
I’ve taken a few Catholic philosophy courses in my lifetime. If I remember right, a “person” is the
wielder of spiritual faculties. A faculty is one of your capabilities, like humans are capable of walking, eating, and growing. The spiritual faculties are our spiritual capabilities. Humans can think intelligent thoughts. We can will to do one thing or another. We can love. Those are spiritual because material beings are unable to do those things.
Whatever wields those faculties is a person. To wield something is to make use of it, like a soldier wields a sword. A being which is capable of using free will is a person. Angels, humans, and God are three examples. Animals, rocks, and trees, since they are not capable of using free will, are not persons.
Jesus, as God, has the spiritual faculties of the divine nature. These include intellect and free will. Therefore, Jesus is a person, a divine one. In taking the human nature, He added the faculties of human nature to the divine faculties that He already wielded. Thus, a divine person wielded the human faculties.
Your friend said that if there were two wills that would make two persons, but I think I just showed why that’s not true: a person already wielded those faculties. There was no need for a second person in Jesus because all a person
is is the one who wields the spiritual faculties. Jesus’ human nature already had a wielder from the moment of His conception, and His wielder was the Second Person of the Holy Trinity.
I hope that makes sense. I know it’s philosophical, but I tried to use short sentences until that last paragraph there.
A man who wields a sword in one hand and an axe in another does not need to be two persons to do that. Jesus does not need to be two persons in order to wield the divine will in one hand and the human will in the other. Perhaps that analogy can help you make sense of this.