Hypothetical Travel Problem

  • Thread starter Thread starter FaithRuir
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FaithRuir

Guest
Person A drives Person B and C to place D. Person B will most likely however commit something grave while he is in place D, he doesn’t know it’s grave.
Person A knows chances are they’d commit this grave matter, but doesn’t actually think the matter is grave at all, they may even discuss it with Person B.
Person A is obviously not under the pain of mortal sin, but do they still commit something grave?
Person C DOES know the action is grave and is traveling with Person B, but does not plan to assist Person B, they will try to stop it but knows there isn’t too good a chance of preventing it, are they in the state of mortal sin by going too?
 
Last edited:
C should tell A and B it’s a grave sin. Then C and A should do all they can to prevent B from commiting the sin. If they don’t they are committing a mortal sin " I confess to almighty God
and to you, my brothers and sisters,
that I have greatly sinned
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done and in what I have failed to do,".

If C and A who both now know that it’s a grave sin do all they can do to prevent B from doing it they are not commiting a sin. If B goes ahead with the grave sin after being told it’s grave he is commiting mortal sin unless there is something within him that is preventing him from giving full consent.
 
Last edited:
That would have to do with having or not having full knowledge. At that point it is between them and God, as ultimately it all is anyway.
 
Person A drives Person B and C to place D. Person B will most likely however commit something grave while he is in place D, he doesn’t know it’s grave.
Person A knows chances are they’d commit this grave matter, but doesn’t actually think the matter is grave at all, they may even discuss it with Person B.
Person A is obviously not under the pain of mortal sin, but do they still commit something grave?
Person C DOES know the action is grave and is traveling with Person B, but does not plan to assist Person B, they will try to stop it but knows there isn’t too good a chance of preventing it, are they in the state of mortal sin by going too?
You lost me at ‘Person A…’
 
PLEASE talk to your priest (or your parents if you are a minor) and not strangers on the internet if sin is weighing on your mind.
 
Let’s make this more human.

Sally asks Joe to drive her and Jill to a bar.

Joe is pretty sure that Jill is going to hook up with some guy if she goes to the bar.

Should he drive them to the bar?

Well, first thing, are Sally and Jill both Christian friends? Are they close enough that they talk to each other about spiritual things?

If not, was Jill raised in a secular household and taught that pre-marital sex is healthy?

If I were Joe, I’d likely say “sure, I will go with you!” and I would be a good friend who looks out for my friends. I doubt I’d give a lecture on sexual morality because most rational adults know how the Church feels about sex outside of marriage. If Jill asks me, I would talk to her about it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top