I am lazy )-:

• Thread starter Thread starter Flopfoot
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flopfoot

God gave me a talent. This was pretty obvious from when I was young that I was good with mathematics and logical things. I am now studying engineering. However, shortly after 1st semester of uni, I started to become lazy. I stopped taking notes in class, stopped preparing for tutorials. I started studying less for exams, and even not doing enough work to do well in assignments. I don’t know what’s the matter with me. Any time I sit down to do work, it’s so hard to get started - even the thought of starting feels horrible. Now I feel like I’m wasting my talent. Sooner or later I’m going to fail a subject which I should have been able to pass - exams are coming up soon and I’ve even got assessments in this last week of semester, which I’m finding difficult (I couldn’t even identify the model of the kidney in anatomy lab). And it feels like I’m going to be stuck like this for my whole life. Please pray for me if you can spare the time, and any advice you can give me would be appreciated!

Okay, sounds like to me you would like to use your talent in a more “hands on” approach.

Maybe try to find a job that you can use your talents in and later on, go back to school.

In my area, there are folks who do “co-op” programs. Work for a company in a position related to the field that they are pursuing, the company also pays for college tuition. Maybe you can look into that, therefore not spending so much time in the classroom.

I don’t know what to tell you - because I do know people who were otherwise not lazy (they didn’t mind working) who pretty much went through all 4 years of college that way (just barely passing)…

Actually at first before I read your post entirely I wanted to say “That sounds like senioritis” - but as that normally doesn’t kick in until at least Junior year… LOL

Though I am pleased to state that despite any of my cases of senioritis (high school, undergrad, and now grad school - last semester - whoo-hoo!) I managed to have enough of my perfectionist tendencies left to pull off good grades (you do know that procrastination is the flip side of perfectionism don’t you?)

**Any possibility that you could be depressed? Or just plain overwhelmed? **

I find one way of getting through stuff like that is to “offer it up” and use it as an opportunity for penance. This is very difficult but rewarding.

I also recommend the (10 + 2) * 5 technique. This involves working intensly for 10 minutes then taking a 2 minute break. You repeat this 5 times and you have a very productive hour. This is a life saver when doing reptitive tasks at work.

Sounds to me like depression. Have you been to your campus health service? They may be able to help you with this. When one is depressed, I mean clinically, it is very difficult to get interested in doing/starting things, even though we know we should. Then we feel even worse when we don’t do it. It is not laziness! Don’t judge yourself so harshly.

Peace,
Linda

I had depression before, went and got help from the counselling service, that was a year ago, and now (in that respect at least) I’m doing a lot better. I had depression when I was at school yet I still did my work. I don’t think that that is the problem.

this reaction is normal and comes in any “relationship” including relationship with God in prayer, relationship with spouse in marriage, relationship with teachers in school and study of a subject you really care about, pursuit of excellence in a sport or artistic endeavor (think batting slump or writer’s block).

It is a development in that relationship or pursuit, part of human nature to fear progression to the next level, and the new demands that will entail, and can present as boredom, depression, lack of interest, lack of emotional satisfaction in the endeavor. The solution is always the same. Cease looking for intrinsic rewards, emotional highs, praise, good grades, ecstasies, or discernable evidence of the “success” of the pursuit.

In marriage, rekindle love by acts of love, don’t wait for evidence of love from the other person or for sparks to fly. In prayer, turn over control to God, and pray for love of Him, not for the sake of spiritual comfort or joy. In academics, study for the love of the truth, not to get good grades or a good job.

In all cases, this is a test of fidelity.

Remain faithful to the daily practices demanded by the relationship or pursuit. Pray every day whether or not you want to. Love your spouse and do things for her, whether or not you feel loving. Study, do your homework, pay attention in class, take notes, even when you are bored or tired. Practice your sport, especially areas you are weak in and take direction from your coach. Write, paint or practice your art or craft and do not let anything make you deviate from it.

I’m a 28 year old mother who’s husband recently left. I didn’t go to college and now I’m working as a bartender/ waitress. Not that this profession is a bad one, I just wish now I had some sort of education so I could provide better for my daughter ( I also don’t want to imagine myself as a 60 yr old waitress) I want better! finish school now while you are young and it is easier! you will regret it later.

Wow, you describe my situation almost word for word! :eek: I am still in college and act exactly the same way.

I don’t think it’s laziness. I think it may be somewhat psychological. I don’t much like doing things just because someone else told me to. However, when I am interested in doing something which takes a lot of work out of my own interest and desire, laziness disappears completely.

I also don’t find the approach the teachers tend to take as engaging. I’d learn much more if I knew exactly how all the theories, equations, and whatnot were applied in the real working world, rather than just read a book and write essays.

What’s really annoying is when I have personal projects I’d like to have time for, such as reading a book just for enjoyment or informally studying something on my own. As each month passes, I realize what I did not accomplish and that can certainly be depressing. But that probably happens to us all.

Lastly what makes me depressed about the work is that I’m paying the college! I’m not getting paid for the work I do, but I’m paying the college for giving me the work! I know, I know, it’s an investment in knowledge… but that’s not very reassuring when you’re up at 3 am typing an essay you’ll forget all about in just a couple of years… know what I mean?

Anyway, hopefully the situation is just temporary.

The (10 + 2) * 5 approach sounds interesting, I may have to try that. (but what can you fit in a two-minute break? 😃 I’m afraid my two-minute break would turn into another unproductive hours…)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back