I committed a mortal sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tomspitzley3
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tomspitzley3

Guest
I’m a Catholic male teen, not yet confirmed. Being a male teen, you can imagine the sins I struggle with daily, a large one being the sin of masterbation. After committing it for years, and recently having a conversion of heart to The Lord, I want to change. I went to confession a month ago and haven’t experienced any issues since…except for today, when I fell into that sin twice. The first time was like I was taken over, like I was there, but it wasn’t me committing the sin. The second time I was completely out of it, and have no idea why I did it. I feel horrible, have begged God for forgiveness and don’t know why I would do such a thing to harm my relationship with the God who has blessed me so much, especially through the last month, helping me overthrow my sin, and helping me to live in grace for that time. I want to go to confession again next Saturday, but I don’t know if my family will let me. We live 5 miles outside of town, and I have no license, and the last time I went ( a month ago) there was an insanely long line and afterwards my parents were upset because it took so long. My parents aren’t the most religious, me being the one who is the “most.” What do I do? Has God forgiven me, I feel horrible that I would do that? What do I do at Mass tomorrow, do I skip receiving the Eucharist? I don’t want my sister or community to look at me like I’m weird, or do I skip in general? Please help me!
 
I’m a Catholic male teen, not yet confirmed. Being a male teen, you can imagine the sins I struggle with daily, a large one being the sin of masterbation. After committing it for years, and recently having a conversion of heart to The Lord, I want to change. I went to confession a month ago and haven’t experienced any issues since…except for today, when I fell into that sin twice. The first time was like I was taken over, like I was there, but it wasn’t me committing the sin. The second time I was completely out of it, and have no idea why I did it. I feel horrible, have begged God for forgiveness and don’t know why I would do such a thing to harm my relationship with the God who has blessed me so much, especially through the last month, helping me overthrow my sin, and helping me to live in grace for that time. I want to go to confession again next Saturday, but I don’t know if my family will let me. We live 5 miles outside of town, and I have no license, and the last time I went ( a month ago) there was an insanely long line and afterwards my parents were upset because it took so long. My parents aren’t the most religious, me being the one who is the “most.” What do I do? Has God forgiven me, I feel horrible that I would do that? What do I do at Mass tomorrow, do I skip receiving the Eucharist? I don’t want my sister or community to look at me like I’m weird, or do I skip in general? Please help me!
A Catholic may NOT receive Communion in a state of mortal sin.
 
I’m a Catholic male teen, not yet confirmed. Being a male teen, you can imagine the sins I struggle with daily, a large one being the sin of masterbation. After committing it for years, and recently having a conversion of heart to The Lord, I want to change. I went to confession a month ago and haven’t experienced any issues since…except for today, when I fell into that sin twice. The first time was like I was taken over, like I was there, but it wasn’t me committing the sin. The second time I was completely out of it, and have no idea why I did it. I feel horrible, have begged God for forgiveness and don’t know why I would do such a thing to harm my relationship with the God who has blessed me so much, especially through the last month, helping me overthrow my sin, and helping me to live in grace for that time. I want to go to confession again next Saturday, but I don’t know if my family will let me. We live 5 miles outside of town, and I have no license, and the last time I went ( a month ago) there was an insanely long line and afterwards my parents were upset because it took so long. My parents aren’t the most religious, me being the one who is the “most.” What do I do? Has God forgiven me, I feel horrible that I would do that? What do I do at Mass tomorrow, do I skip receiving the Eucharist? I don’t want my sister or community to look at me like I’m weird, or do I skip in general? Please help me!
You must abstain from the Eucharist.

You must attend mass.

Go to confession when you can.

Prayers for you, keep up the fight…you’ll win. Rosary and litany of saints are powerful for this.
 
A Catholic may NOT receive Communion in a state of mortal sin.
Indeed. And, it certainly is something he should take up with a priest, however, based on the information presented in is not a certainty that this Catholic is in a state of mortal sin.

Compassion rather than guilt might be the best approach.
 
Indeed. And, it certainly is something he should take up with a priest, however, based on the information presented in is not a certainty that this Catholic is in a state of mortal sin.

Compassion rather than guilt might be the best approach.
Only his priest can discern that with him. He should abstain from the Eucharist until his next confession.

No need to take the Eucharist unworthily adding sacriledge to the list.
 
You must abstain from the Eucharist.

You must attend mass.

Go to confession when you can.

Prayers for you, keep up the fight…you’ll win. Rosary and litany of saints are powerful for this.
Good advice, except the claim that he MUST abstain might be presumptuous. Committing a grave act is only one part of the formula for mortal sin.
 
Good advice, except the claim that he MUST abstain might be presumptuous. Committing a grave act is only one part of the formula for mortal sin.
He also say he knows it’s a grave sin and he did it anyway.

That’s all 3 factors.

If there is a mitigating factor regarding his culpability it’s for his priest to decide.

People don’t need to receive every week…they definitely shouldn’t receive just to blend in with the crowd so people don’t notice.

If it’s awkward…remembering that for future can help one combat this sin.
 
I’m a Catholic male teen, not yet confirmed. Being a male teen, you can imagine the sins I struggle with daily, a large one being the sin of masterbation. After committing it for years, and recently having a conversion of heart to The Lord, I want to change. I went to confession a month ago and haven’t experienced any issues since…except for today, when I fell into that sin twice. The first time was like I was taken over, like I was there, but it wasn’t me committing the sin. The second time I was completely out of it, and have no idea why I did it. I feel horrible, have begged God for forgiveness and don’t know why I would do such a thing to harm my relationship with the God who has blessed me so much, especially through the last month, helping me overthrow my sin, and helping me to live in grace for that time. I want to go to confession again next Saturday, but I don’t know if my family will let me. We live 5 miles outside of town, and I have no license, and the last time I went ( a month ago) there was an insanely long line and afterwards my parents were upset because it took so long. My parents aren’t the most religious, me being the one who is the “most.” What do I do? Has God forgiven me, I feel horrible that I would do that? What do I do at Mass tomorrow, do I skip receiving the Eucharist? I don’t want my sister or community to look at me like I’m weird, or do I skip in general? Please help me!
I totally understand your situation and it’s one that many Catholic men find themselves in. God doesn’t require us to be perfect (sinless) but He does ask us to be faithful. Good for you that you question whether your in the proper state of grace to receive His Most Holy Body and Blood. My opinion is that you are probably not and that you may need to confess your sins because they are grave, you were cognizant that it was a sin, and freely committed them. This just means you ARE human; confessing your sins means you ARE Catholic!

I also understand your embarrassment over not receiving the Holy Eucharist. There are times when I find myself not in the proper state of grace and have just crossed my arms over my chest, hands on shoulders, with head bowed to receive a blessing instead of the Eucharist. It’s not a shame; it’s recognition that you know the Real Presence is truly Jesus Christ and not something that is automatically dispensed like candy from a machine. When we sin, we sin against the entire community of God that’s why we say, during the Confession of Sins at the beginning of Mass “I confess to you, my brothers and sisters…” We are part of the communion of saints that make up the Body of Christ so we sin against the entire community when we sin against God.

Blessings on you for taking your faith so seriously. Pray for your family that they become more faithful and devout as we pray for you and your continued growth as a Catholic. :clapping:
 
He also say he knows it’s a grave sin and he did it anyway.

That’s all 3 factors.

If there is a mitigating factor regarding his culpability it’s for his priest to decide.
Actually, it’s necessary that he committed something grave with full knowledge and complete consent (i.e. without undue external influence.) Teenage boys don’t need much external influence. How avoidable that near occasion of sin was could make the difference between a serious venial and a mortal sin.

CCC 1858, 1857, 1858
 
Actually, it’s necessary that he committed something grave with full knowledge and complete consent (i.e. without undue external influence.) Teenage boys don’t need much external influence. How avoidable that near occasion of sin was could make the difference between a serious venial and a mortal sin.

CCC 1858, 1857, 1858
Again who is to give the spiritual direction on this??

His pastor.
 
Indeed. And, it certainly is something he should take up with a priest, however, based on the information presented in is not a certainty that this Catholic is in a state of mortal sin.

Compassion rather than guilt might be the best approach.
The OP asked the question. No point in pussyfooting around the answer. Too many people do that.
He knows the gravity of masturbation. He said so.
He should avoid receiving until he has been to Confession. If in doubt do not receive. It is anyway not a requirement to receive every time you attend Mass.
 
OP, if you are nervous, might it be possible to pop off to the men’s room just in time for communion? It might be less embarrassing.
 
From the CCC
2352 By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. “Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action.” “The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose.” For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of “the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved.”
**To form an equitable judgment about the subjects’ moral responsibility and to guide pastoral action, one must take into account the affective immaturity, force of acquired habit, **conditions of anxiety or other psychological or social factors that lessen, if not even reduce to a minimum, moral culpability.
Teenage boys with raging hormones are taken into consideration by the priest hearing the confession.

It’s easier for a 50 year old male to over come the temptation than it is an 18 year old,
mostly because of biology, rather than holiness.

To the OP, don’t give into despair.

Hormones have a stronger influence over our behavior than previously known.

Remember, the true definition of sin is, “to miss the mark.” it’s been described akin to
an archer aiming at his target, but missing it.

In other words, you try to avoid sin, but will miss the mark.

Always turn to God and ask for forgiveness and help.

Your confessor will help you with this.

Jim
 
Good advice, except the claim that he MUST abstain might be presumptuous. Committing a grave act is only one part of the formula for mortal sin.
Presumptuousness goes both ways. One may presume too much or too little. To presume that there is no mortal being an example of the latter.

Christus resurrexit!
 
I’m a Catholic male teen, not yet confirmed. Being a male teen, you can imagine the sins I struggle with daily, a large one being the sin of masterbation. After committing it for years, and recently having a conversion of heart to The Lord, I want to change. I went to confession a month ago and haven’t experienced any issues since…except for today, when I fell into that sin twice. The first time was like I was taken over, like I was there, but it wasn’t me committing the sin. The second time I was completely out of it, and have no idea why I did it. I feel horrible, have begged God for forgiveness and don’t know why I would do such a thing to harm my relationship with the God who has blessed me so much, especially through the last month, helping me overthrow my sin, and helping me to live in grace for that time. I want to go to confession again next Saturday, but I don’t know if my family will let me. We live 5 miles outside of town, and I have no license, and the last time I went ( a month ago) there was an insanely long line and afterwards my parents were upset because it took so long. My parents aren’t the most religious, me being the one who is the “most.” What do I do? Has God forgiven me, I feel horrible that I would do that? What do I do at Mass tomorrow, do I skip receiving the Eucharist? I don’t want my sister or community to look at me like I’m weird, or do I skip in general? Please help me!
The title of the thread indicates a question as to mortal sin. To sin mortally, three conditions are necessary. A) serious matter (yes), B)full knowledge about the matter (yes) full consent (?). especially considering youth. Even as lay people we might judge accurately, but the power to forgive and absolve lies with the priest and his judgement. To be on the safe side it is best not to receive and go to confession. If you are sincerely sorry for your sins, even if they are mortal, you can be forgiven by God. But you can not receive absolution and be free to receive communion unless you confess. Christ has given the church the power to make rules to govern the morals of the faithful, and the power to bind and loose, and to forgive sins. You have received excellent advice from posters. As far as feeling weird, it goes with the fact that you are Catholic in a secular world. Making the sign of the cross before eating in public seems weird to some, but should that deter us from making the sign? It takes the courage of Faith to manifest it. I did, and a man came over to my table and complemented me, who knows what can happen, also it is a great opportunity to evangelize. Be at peace. Also we are not to judge others, just overcome the feeling.
 
Keep in mind the conditions for sin to be mortal, are a guideline and not absolute.

At least that’s what my confessor told me.

As an example, it was thought that fits of rage would be a mortal sin.

However, scientist have found that people who react with rage, have a chemical imbalance in the brain which cause an uncontrolled reaction.

So, free will is out the door in many who react with rage, whereas years ago it was considered a mortal sin.

This is why a good confessor is so important.

Jim
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top