I don’t know what to title this

  • Thread starter Thread starter Izzy1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Izzy1

Guest
Is a person who is a catholic commits suicide …is that person seen down in the eyes of god and the community?? What are the views of yall on the increasing suicide rates especially in teens ?? Can a priest report suicidal thoughts of another teen if they confide in the priest
 
If you feel suicidal @Izzy1, please, please talk to someone. Talk to your Priest outside Confession, talk to your parents, talk to a health professional. If it’s someone you know, please encourage them to tell someone in a place to help them. And if they won’t tell anyone, then maybe you could raise the alarm to the people who care about them, to get them help.
 
Thanks …no it’s not me but a former friend
I’m glad that it’s not you. But I would urge your former friend to tell someone. If she won’t, or you can’t talk to her, I would tell someone who can help her and let them deal with it.
 
Is a person who is a catholic commits suicide …is that person seen down in the eyes of god and the community??
No. However, the family may wish to keep the matter private, or as private as possible, because they are having a hard enough time dealing with their emotions, which may include grief, anger at the person who committed suicide, and guilt that they didn’t do something to stop it in some way, even if there was nothing they could have done.
What are the views of yall on the increasing suicide rates especially in teens ??
Suicide is always a terrible thing.
The lack of religious belief and practice these days may be a contributing factor to some people doing it, because I have had people tell me that they would commit suicide, or would have committed suicide at some earlier point, but they were afraid of going to Hell.

However, I suspect that a good bit of this supposed “increase” is simply that suicide is more likely to be publicly reported or acknowledged these days, whereas in the past families would try to explain it away as an accident or cover it up somehow because it was considered a serious disgrace in the past (it isn’t today) and also, when it was a teen, people worried that other teens would commit copycat suicides if it was talked about. Nowadays it’s more likely to be openly discussed and counseling provided, rather than hidden away.
Can a priest report suicidal thoughts of another teen if they confide in the priest
if it’s in confession, no. The priest can’t reveal anything said in confession.

If it’s in a setting other than confession, then possibly, but a priest would usually try to get the teen to tell their parents or counselor, or have the teen present when the priest tells the parents, rather than the priest just going on his own to report this.
 
Last edited:
You will get a variety of answers but personally. Yes, I look poorly on those who have committed suicide. I certainly dont view them as Holy, or heroic.
 
Ok, that’s all true. But I dont think better of someone who committed suicide. I’ve known many, and none of them do I think better of because of it.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top