I don't think we will get a vaccine soon if ever, how long do we stay in lock down?

• Thread starter Thread starter Victoria33
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Victoria33

I don’t think we will get a vaccine soon if ever, how long do we stay in lock down?

We will have to learn to coexist with COVID-19 over the near future and I mean at least, 2 years which is a long time for any of us.

From what I’ve been reading a vaccine ought to be around by early 2021. I volunteered to get vaccinated early in a trial but there aren’t any nearby in my area yet. Hopefully more of these will pop up across the country.

If your scenario does happen I think everything will probably just move into a long-term state of social distancing without a full lock down.

“Lock Down” is an inaccurate term. Do you mean how long must we mask, exercise social distancing, and see the closure (or change in practices) of some businesses? The closest thing we have to “Lock Down” is self quarantining following exposure to the virus, or being symptomatic.

The term “Lock Down” turns off a lot of Americans, and may be the reason for their reluctance to follow sound recommendations from the medical and scientific community!

Idk. The black plague was around for a few hundred years before it went away if i remember right! But i think people are right to be cautious, if i really does act like pneumonia from what i’ve heard. I don’t follow the news its too depressing and stressful. I just follow my twitter feed.

I think in general we aren’t concerned enough for at risk people during cold and flu season. Like the elderly, infants/toddlers, and high-risk people who might have heart disease, asthma, type 1 or 2 diabetes, have caner, or are on anti-rejection medication that lowers their immune system.

While i’m not saying lockdown is the answer, i’m just trying to say some level of concern is certainly a good thing. I’ll bear with it if it means protecting my high-risk little sister, best friend, and my coworker with cancer.

It’s reasonably likely there won’t be a vaccine
There are more than 100 vaccine models designed, and 3 are already being tested in Phase III. It’s reasonably likely there will be a vaccine.

Last edited:
Because there are so so many viruses that give us colds with the same symptoms that there is no possibility to have a vaccine for every one. There are about 200 viruses that give us red rashes/red watery bumps on the skin.

Not by itself, but like Covid, patients with serious comorbidities can die with Covid. Common cold viruses can put high-risk patients over the edge, but your point is well-taken.

The ridiculous-level politicizing of Covid is making it more difficult to accurately assess the objective threat of the virus. There doesn’t seem to be a distinction being made between people dying from Covid and people dying with Covid. Here in Michigan some poor soul died from getting hit by a car, but tested positive for Covid…and he was listed as a Covid death. Go figure.

I don’t think we will get a vaccine soon if ever, how long do we stay in lock down?

We will have to learn to coexist with COVID-19 over the near future and I mean at least, 2 years which is a long time for any of us.
We will just have to take our chances, which are currently about 99.7+%.

I’m always surprised that people in the US don’t seem to reference the successes of countries like taiwan, China, Vietnam, South Korea, New Zealand and Australian states. Victoria, Australia, was doing well and then faced an upsurge in cases. So it is ‘locking down’. On the experience of these other countries the virus will come under control. the US is obviously bigger and more complex that some of these countries but certainly not China. the ‘let i spread, we’ll be immune eventually’ strategy kills a lot of people who would not die in the pandemic in these other countries.

We shouldn’t even be locked down over a virus with a 99.5% survival rate. So many good people I know have lost their jobs and businesses because of all this hyped up nonsense. A very good friend of our family has no way to support himself anymore other than doing odd jobs around the house for people who will allow him to for money. He rides a bicycle now because he has no money to fix his car to where it will pass inspection.

Enough is enough. The fearful should stay home. And the brave should go back to work so they can feed their families. What we need is to practice social distancing from the TV and media, because all it does is incite terror:

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

So it is ‘locking down’. On the experience of these other countries the virus will come under control. the US is obviously bigger and more complex that some of these countries but certainly not China.
“Locking down” the US economy causes more harm than good. Tens of millions of children fell into poverty around the globe. Deaths from other sources go up likely more than the coronavirus will kill. The vulnerable should “lock down” if they choose. The rest of us should generally live our lives and be not afraid.

Hey guys. Great news! Russia will have a vaccine by next week and are making it available to the whole world! 👍

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

We shouldn’t even be locked down over a virus with a 99.5% survival rate. So many good people I know have lost their jobs and businesses because of all this hyped up nonsense.
It’s not the fatality rate of the virus that is necessarily most concerning. It’s that a substantial portion of the people who do survive are being left with ongoing, perhaps permanent, damage to lungs or other organs, such as their heart, kidneys, or brain. Even people who were supposedly “asymptomatic” have been shown to have lung damage.

And even if the world governments were to eliminate all lockdown measures, that still would not make the economy recover. There is a pretty good argument that severe lockdowns may be the only viable path to economic recovery.

If all of the lockdowns ended tomorrow, that doesn’t mean people would immediately return to all the activities they were doing before. The virus is still here, and people are still scared.

Bob Shiller, Nobel Prize winning economist and former president of the American Economic Association, has argued that recessions are largely psychological in nature. The following is a quote from an article he wrote before the pandemic started, talking about recessions in general, but which is just as applicable to the current recession:
“If enough people begin to act fearfully, their anxiety can become self-fulfilling, and a recession, sometimes a big one, may follow.”
As long as people are still scared, the economy will not recover. Even if 10% of people chose to stay home out of fear, that would have a devastating effect on many businesses that operate on thin margins, and the ripple effects would be economically catastrophic.

People are afraid because of a very real threat, and will continue to be afraid for as long as that threat remains. Thus, the only way to really make the economy recover may be to eliminate the threat.

Many countries around the world have been able to effectively eliminate the virus from their communities through aggressive action, such as lockdowns, social distancing, mask-wearing, testing, and contact tracing. The United States, on the other hand, has demonstrated it is either incapable or unwilling to do any of these, and as a result the virus continues to ravage its people, its people remain scared, and its economy remains in tatters.

So counterintuitively, lockdowns (real lockdowns, not pseudo-lockdowns like they had in the U.S.) may be the most effective way to get the economy working at full capacity again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back