I don't want to sing!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Inthemountains
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you at the liturgy to pray to God or critique other people’s singing ability? Perhaps it’s just a ego thing that you don’t want to be associated with singers whose skills are inferior to your own? 🤷
I think a more appropriate question would be, is their singing such a distraction that we are UNABLE to pray. Which has precedence? The mystical sacrifice taking place on the altar and the obligation to offer praise to God, or the possibly self-serving attitude of an individual to lead the singing despite any lack of talent to be in this ministry?

Two weeks ago, during the communion hymn, I knelt down to pray the Anima Christi as I always do. The cantor was two notes behind the organist for the entire song. It was impossible for me to make my thanksgiving until he had finished the song.
 
Some food for thought in the following thread. The situations obviously differ, but there is some common ground too.

Should elderly cantor be asked to “retire?”
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=318277
One post from the thread above:
From the 2002 General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM) approved for the USA, which can be accessed from romanrite.com/girm.html :
“102. The psalmist’s role is to sing the Psalm or other biblical canticle that comes between the readings. **To fulfill this function correctly, it is necessary that the psalmist have the ability for singing and a facility in correct pronunciation and diction.” **
 
One post from the thread above:

From the 2002 General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM) approved for the USA, which can be accessed from romanrite.com/girm.html :

“102. The psalmist’s role is to sing the Psalm or other biblical canticle that comes between the readings. To fulfill this function correctly, it is necessary that the psalmist have the ability for singing and a facility in correct pronunciation and diction.”
Not to derail this thread, but it appears that I’ve needed to revise my thinking on this issue for some time since that thread is old.

It is hard for me to wrap my brain around the idea of asking a volunteer to stop doing something because he/she is not really talented enough to do that something adequately. But, I guess in this case I am wrong to think that as supported by the GIRM. :o

Thank you for the gentle correction.
 
Not to derail this thread, but it appears that I’ve needed to revise my thinking on this issue for some time since that thread is old.

It is hard for me to wrap my brain around the idea of asking a volunteer to stop doing something because he/she is not really talented enough to do that something adequately. But, I guess in this case I am wrong to think that as supported by the GIRM. :o

Thank you for the gentle correction.
This is a tough subject. We certainly don’t want to hurt feelings, but I’m of the opnion that we should not be in any ministry except to serve the Lord. He will use our talents to HIS advantage, but if those talents simply aren’t there, perhaps He is leading us into something else.

Many years ago, an associate pastor was talking of stewardship. He asked the question, do you want to serve the parish? Most of you would say yes to being an EMHC, but will you come and sweep the floors or clean the restrooms out of service to your community if the need arose? You can imagine the dead silence that followed.

And above all, I believe in preserving the sacredness and solemnity of the Mass and since music is prayer, the voice that issues forth should not be cause to, in any way, diminish the mystery that is taking place or be a source of uneasiness for the faithful.
 
And above all, I believe in preserving the sacredness and solemnity of the Mass and since music is prayer, the voice that issues forth should not be cause to, in any way, diminish the mystery that is taking place or be a source of uneasiness for the faithful.
So if I am understanding you correctly this would only apply to cantors and choir members, not to the general congregation.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top