I got to see a sister take her vows!

• Thread starter Thread starter Grace_and_Glory
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Grace_and_Glory

I was able to see a new Sister take her temporary vows yesterday. She is now the youngest person in her community by at least ten or twenty years, so it’s really amazing that she followed God’s will to the community she’s joining. It was such a beautiful Mass, and her profession was especially so. The homily made me want to get up and go join a religious order! I just thought I’d share this incredible experience with my fellow Catholics.

Grace and Glory:
I was able to see a new Sister take her temporary vows yesterday. She is now the youngest person in her community by at least ten or twenty years, so it’s really amazing that she followed God’s will to the community she’s joining. It was such a beautiful Mass, and her profession was especially so. The homily made me want to get up and go join a religious order! I just thought I’d share this incredible experience with my fellow Catholics.
Your experience is not unique. A little over a year ago, I attended both a Deaconate and a Priesthood ordinations. It got me thinking of a vocation (albeit late) myself. I am currently in discernment and do not know where it is going to finally lead.

PF

I’m currently in discernment, too.

Can you describe in detail what you saw? What you felt? Can you summarize the homily at all?

Did you know the sister, or how did you happen to be there?

2 Sundays ago we had a sister renewing her vows after 25 years. It was most beautiful I was glad that my children could see it. 👍

:blessyou:

40.png
JCPhoenix:
I’m currently in discernment, too.

Can you describe in detail what you saw? What you felt? Can you summarize the homily at all?

Did you know the sister, or how did you happen to be there?
I had met the sister once before at a Mass at our Newman Center on campus (I’m happy to say that our Newman Center is definitely not like a lot of the ones I’ve heard complaints about here). She will be working here, and she had been a student here before. One of the sisters in the community who already works here sent out an e-mail prayer request that also invited anyone interested to go. Because I didn’t know the sister, I decided not to go. I changed my mind when two or three different people asked me to go in a single afternoon. I thought that was probably as close to a voice from heaven as I would get!

The Mass was held in a chapel at the main convent. Before the Mass began, the sisters lit one candle for every sister who had died since the new sister entered the community three years ago. After this, the Mass began. The sister was able to choose the readings. They were Song of Songs 2:8-14, Psalm 63:2-6, 8-9, Philippians 3:8-14, and Luke 1:26-38. Before the homily, the priest asked the sister what she asked of God and of the Church, and she responded that she asked to have a share in the life of the Sisters of St. Francis of the Immaculate Conception (that’s the name of the community she joined).

The homily was excellent, but unfortunately my memory seems to have failed me. I’ll write down a summary of what I remember. The priest talked about how the life of poverty, chastity, and obedience is the remidy to the lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh, and the pride of life. He said that everyone is called to in some way live out poverty, chastity, and obedience but that religious are called to witness to that lifestyle in a very particular way. The lifestyle demanded of a priest, sister, or brother is a life of sacrifice that cannot be lived without a deep and abiding love for Christ.

After the homily, the new sister made her profession of vows, both orally and in writing. She was given the constitution of the community as well as the community’s pin. All of the sisters in the community then came forward to give the new sister a sign of peace and welcome her into the community. Then we had the general intercessions, and of course the Eucharist. After Mass, the new sister had the biggest smile. She looked so happy!

As you might know from some of my previous posts, I’m trying to discern if I am called to the religious life. I’m still very young, so I have a lot of time, and I’m only in the very beginning stages. At this Mass, I realized that I could much more easily see myself taking the vows this sister took (although probably with a different community) than I could see myself taking marriage vows. After seeing weddings, I never really felt like I could see myself in the bride’s place, but I could definitely see myself in this siter’s place after seeing her take her vows. I’d be much more surprised if I got married than I would be if I joined a religious community. Of course, God often surprises me, so it’s entirely possible that I will find myself a few years from now surprised to be married. Overall, though, I really enjoyed the Mass. It was so beautiful, and it lifted my spirits to be there.

I will definitely pray for you as you discern God’s will for your life.

Grace and Glory:
As you might know from some of my previous posts, I’m trying to discern if I am called to the religious life. I’m still very young, so I have a lot of time, and I’m only in the very beginning stages. At this Mass, I realized that I could much more easily see myself taking the vows this sister took (although probably with a different community) than I could see myself taking marriage vows. After seeing weddings, I never really felt like I could see myself in the bride’s place, but I could definitely see myself in this siter’s place after seeing her take her vows. I’d be much more surprised if I got married than I would be if I joined a religious community. Of course, God often surprises me, so it’s entirely possible that I will find myself a few years from now surprised to be married. Overall, though, I really enjoyed the Mass. It was so beautiful, and it lifted my spirits to be there.

I will definitely pray for you as you discern God’s will for your life.
I have a question. Do you have a Spiritual Director yet. If not, I would suggest you get one. It is never too early to obtain the services of one.

Check with the nun that sent the eMail if she knows of a Spritual Director that can help. If you do not feel comfortable (i.e. that you may feel pressured to join), talk to the priest at the Newman Center.

Even if you are not called, this will help you determine you path in life.

PF

40.png
WanderAimlessly:
I have a question. Do you have a Spiritual Director yet. If not, I would suggest you get one. It is never too early to obtain the services of one.

Check with the nun that sent the eMail if she knows of a Spritual Director that can help. If you do not feel comfortable (i.e. that you may feel pressured to join), talk to the priest at the Newman Center.

Even if you are not called, this will help you determine you path in life.

PF
I do have a spiritual director. So far, we haven’t really discussed vocations, but I’ve only been seeing him for a few months, so I think he wants to get to know me better first. We have discussed some decisions I have to make sooner, such as what major to choose. Thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back