I have got 2 questions regarding Hinduism

• Thread starter Thread starter Aquinasthegreat1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aquinasthegreat1

I’ve been thinking that if Hinduism is the first religion, it would be the most followed religion, but Christianity is the most followed religion by far! So to Christians, what do you think of Hinduism and how is Christianity different from Hinduism

Oldest is not the same as most popular or most correct.

Hinduism is polytheistic.

Polytheism was rejected by Judaism.

I’ve been thinking that if Hinduism is the first religion, it would be the most followed religion, but Christianity is the most followed religion by far! So to Christians, what do you think of Hinduism and how is Christianity different from Hinduism
Hinduism is not unified, since there are six orthodox schools of thought (including non theistic), plus Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism, Tantra. The Rig Veda is thought to be the oldest Sanskrit writing (1700-1100 BCE).

Hi thank you for the reply.
But I’ve seen agnostic men and women join Hinduism because it is the “First” religion which was a divine intervention of God according to them and they say we’ve (Christianity) come after them after following their footsteps. How do you refute such claims?

I’ve been thinking that if Hinduism is the first religion, it would be the most followed religion, but Christianity is the most followed religion by far!
The “oldest” religion doesn’t mean it’s going to have the most followers I guess. I think the reason why Christianity has the most followers is because of the missionary work. Christianity is literally in almost every part of the world.
how is Christianity different from Hinduism
Hinduism is polytheistic just like @0Scarlett_nidiyilii said. Christianity is a monotheistic religion so I believe there is a big difference.

I’m going to wander slightly off topic, if you don’t mind.

I have to say I find it a fascinating idea that an agnostic becomes Hindu (going from not sure if there are any gods at all to worshipping lots-of-gods), but I can see there’s a sort of logic for a spiritual seeker to go to the “beginning”.

I’ve seen skeptical writers assert that religion is an invention of the early city-states, and was used to control the masses.
I’m not sure of this.
Imagine a band of hunter gatherers sitting around the campfire at night, looking into the sky and asking the big questions of What and How. They develop their own spirituality from their wondering and from their observation of the natural world and their place in it.

But anyway…

May I suggest a book called Handbook of Christian Apologetics by Peter Kreeft. He starts with first principles and explains why Catholics believe what they do, and compares some of the various claims of different theologies.

Good luck 🙂

Last edited:
How do you refute such claims?
Religions decay over time.

Every (real) religion was originally based on a person’s (or people’s) direct experience with the Divine. But over time, that direct perception of Truth gets clouded.

Imagine if thousands of years ago, someone saw the sun, and explained his experience to a country in which every person is born blind. And every generation, they pass down the tales they heard about the sun from their ancestors, all originating in that one person who could see. Even though the person at the beginning really did see the sun, the people hearing those tales of the sun thousands of years later will necessarily understand less than the people who heard it directly from the person who could actually see.

And that would happen even if the stories were passed down perfectly. In practice, they are not. Things like politics get intermingled with religion. Stories or their interpretations are changed in order to achieve worldly ends. Cultural context is lost. People draw false conclusions from the stories because they have no experience of the reality they portray for themselves. Thus, Jesus said:
And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch. – Matthew 15:14
Thus, periodically, someone who can actually see has to come along and resuscitate the religion, to put people back on the right track. Sometimes, when those people come along, it results in a “new” religion, but the new religion is really just the old religion, brought back to life.

Jesus did that for Judaism. The Jewish religion was arguably “dead” by the time Jesus came along, because hardly anyone was entering the Kingdom of God through that religion. As He said:
But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in. – Matthew 23:13
So the leaders of Jewish religion at the time were not only failing to enter the Kingdom themselves, but were also preventing others from entering. So the religion was ineffective. Jesus fixed that.

Thus, there is a benefit to having a religion that has more recently been revitalized. But that does not mean you should follow any new age malarkey. Whenever a true prophet comes along, they always teach the same thing the ones before them taught. Thus, Jesus said:
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. – Matthew 5:17-18
and
Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? [meaning, the method of salvation Jesus was explaining in this discussion was already present in the Jewish teachings, and should have been known to someone like Nicodemus, who was one of the religious leaders] – John 3:10
Therefore, agreeing with what came “first,” as you put it, is important, but alone is not sufficient. It is also important to have proximity to the Divine.

Last edited:
Hinduism is undoubtedly a fascinating religion. I’ve read through the Bhagavad Gita twice and I think it’s brilliant. Adam and Eve were monotheists like christians, they were not pantheists like hindus. Monotheism is older than pantheism.

Last edited:
I’ve seen skeptical writers assert that religion is an invention of the early city-states, and was used to control the masses.
I’m not sure of this.
Yes, I’ve read that too, and it’s logical. Before agriculture there were no “masses” and no hierarchies. Certainly–logically–an easy way to control people and get them to do what you want is to invoke religion. People didn’t build Stonehenge because they thought it would be a fun activity.
I have to say I find it a fascinating idea that an agnostic becomes Hindu (going from not sure if there are any gods at all to worshipping lots-of-gods), but I can see there’s a sort of logic for a spiritual seeker to go to the “beginning”.
I’m certainly not an expert in Hindusim, but I have read a few things. I personally wouldn’t be so quick to label Hinduism as polytheistic. On the surface it looks like it (just as Catholicism does–a saint for this, a saint for that). But when you start to look deeper, the gods are avatars of more spiritual principles, and deeper still there is “atman,” which deeper still is part of “Brahman,” the force behind the universe (i.e. what we would call “God”.)

Certainly there are a lot of very spiritual passages and thoughts in the Vedas, etc. And, just for an example, the Ramayana deals with a very current problem of morality–should your allegiance be to your family or to your duty?

And I can certainly see why it would be attractive to an agnostic or atheist. Part of the aversion to “religion” is reluctance to follow someone else’s rules, morality, etc. Hinduism seems a lot more accommodating.

Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs.

[To Hindu priests complaining to him about the prohibition of Sati religious funeral practice of burning widows alive on her husband’s funeral pyre.]

Charles James Napier

I personally wouldn’t be so quick to label Hinduism as polytheistic. On the surface it looks like it (just as Catholicism does–a saint for this, a saint for that). But when you start to look deeper, the gods are avatars of more spiritual principles, and deeper still there is “atman,” which deeper still is part of “Brahman,” the force behind the universe (i.e. what we would call “God”.
There are monotheistic expressions In the Vedas and I think some of the oldest expressions of monotheism in the world can be found in the vedas. However this might be in a different kind of monotheism that doesn’t say that it’s wrong to believe in many deities, rather, it’s just a different way of understanding the same reality.

Yes, I’ve read that too, and it’s logical. Before agriculture there were no “masses” and no hierarchies. Certainly–logically–an easy way to control people and get them to do what you want is to invoke religion. People didn’t build Stonehenge because they thought it would be a fun activity
Fair enough—let’s put it this way.
Some religions were probably developed as an arm of the state, but the concept of religion itself — as a roadmap for relating to the transcendent — is found in hunter gatherer societies that have no plans to build major projects.

Hinduism is henotheistic, actually.

It teaches the worship of one god, while not denying there are other gods.

Deacon Christopher

Hinduism is henotheistic, actually.

It teaches the worship of one god, while not denying there are other gods.
Can I ask a question then — were the early Israelites henotheistic?
Because the Bible refers to the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, which seems to imply that other gods could exsist, but that the Israelite loyalty was to the God of their fathers?

No, Israel is monotheistic.

All of the competing religions around the Near Middle East had multiple gods, some with a hierarchy within the pantheon.
But the clear teaching of Judaism is that of the Oneness of God.
Sh’ma yisrael, adonai eloheinu adonai echad.
Hear O Israel, the Lord is our God, the Lord is One.
Not only is the LORD the only God, and One; all other competing gods are just pretender-gods.
You shall have no strange gods before Me.

The LORD distinctly revealed Himself to the Hebrew people as both male (most competing religions had a chief female god), and singular (all competing religions I can think of had multiple gods, that is, they were either [henotheistic or polytheistic])

Blessed are you, to whom the arm of the LORD has been revealed,
Deacon Christopher

What is the oldest religion? It may be Hinduism…MAY BE, but I have a hard time believing that, considering there have been people on earth for many thousands of years and eventually some people thought of worshiping this or that rock/statue/totem pole/etc.

Does it put Catholicism in jeopardy? of course not!

People have been doing bad things since there were two people on this earth, which led to sin, which led to more sin, etc. But it doesn’t mean that they were right, nor were people right for worshiping false gods. The thing about it is, at least in my opinion, is that the worship of false gods is indirectly just a worship of yourself. People have always been sacrificing things to false gods to get ahead. (even today: money, sex, abortion, social media, and technology are the false gods used to pleasure or get an advantage over other people).

The thing about Catholicism is that is is completely focused on separating from all those things. In fact, in my opinion if you were one of the holiest people on the earth, you’d honestly probably have a pretty hard life. Look at all the saints, look at Jesus, his life was pretty hard. True Christianity is really the only religion where giving up literally everything is the goal, and the more you suffer for the God of Christianity , the better your reward will be in the afterlife.

Its kinda like when St. Paul is writing something to the tune of: if Christians are wrong, we are the most pitiable of men. If its not absolutely true, well you are simply wasting your time, your life, and your pleasure on nothing. The fact that Christianity is the worlds most followed religion is A TESTAMENT (not the only testament) to its truth.

Side Note:

If you were to take a random pole from all of the Hindus on which god’s they worshiped the difference in answers might surprise you. IMO it would be kinda hard to focus on all 10,000+ gods that they have, I honestly don’t understand how Hinduism could be a defined religion if not everyone is on the same page.

Last edited:
There are Hindus who reject the label of polytheism and argue that there is one God; one Supreme Being, Unmoved Mover, etc. They argue that what they call “gods” (Ganesh, Vishnu, etc) are more akin to what Christians would call angels.

Can I ask a question then — were the early Israelites henotheistic?
Because the Bible refers to the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, which seems to imply that other gods could exsist, but that the Israelite loyalty was to the God of their fathers?
Some scholars think that the early Israelites were, in fact, henotheistic.

The wikipedia article on henotheism has some citations supporting that hypothesis.

I know this is a common description, but I’ve always found this one sounding not right to my ear either. The Henotheism Concept makes it sound like there is the possibility of other gods as distinct from the God the person worships, but doesn’t capture the fact that both might be considered the same divinity, which heads us back into a monotheistic sort of description. Some folks say Hinduism is both mono and henotheistic, i’ve also heard it described as panenthestic. Again, I’m not sure this captures modern Hinduism fully either.

Why the confusion? Part of it is that none of the “theism” categories describe the option of what’s actually going on in modern Hinduism. Namely the idea that there is one supreme being that might be understood in many ways. In other words, the specific deities that people are familiar with in Hinduism are all aspects of the one “Brahman”.

Ironically, and perhaps offensively to some, the closest analogy I can come up with comes from Catholicism, the idea that the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit are all the same one God. Obviously it’s not the same concept, but it gets closer to capturing the idea that hindus are not worshiping completely different “gods” as in Greek mythology (true “polytheism”).

In other words, just like one would say Jesus is fully God, and not somehow a separate God from the Holy Spirit, or God the Father, the different Gods and deities in Hinduism are all the same God. “Multitarian,” if you will.

Chesterton talked about that in the everlasting man. Demons worshipped as gods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back