I just bought an Icon. What is the symbolism of it?

• Thread starter Thread starter RomanRyan1088
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RomanRyan1088

I just bought a “Tree of life icon” to put in my prayer corner. I was wondering, does anyone know the exact symbolisim of the Icon. I was told that everything means something. My next question is: will a Roman Catholic Priest bless the icon for me. Are you even spose to bless them?

Thank You
Ryan

This Byzantine Icon shows the Tree of Life with Christ in the center of the tree and the twelve apostoles emerging from the branches of the tree. The Tree of Life also shows the hierarchy of the church, with Christ as the head of the church followed by the apostoles.

40.png
drforjc:
I see the “vine and the branches” idea there…
That the first thing I thought of when I saw the icon, but after reading the other posts the hierarchy. But it is a very interesting icon.

This icon is called in Ukrainian and Russian Vinogradarna Loza or the Vine Branch. The symbolism is that from Holy Bible. There is a beautiful reproduction of this icon on a Sakkos (the liturgical garment of an Archpriest in Ukrainian Church or Russian Church) to be found at

www.days.ru/Images/im1028.htm

If you want pro-Life Icon, I can suggest the orthodox medical educational Center in Moscow which has a wonderful icon of the martyrs of Bethlehem killed by King Herod. This is the major anti-abort center in all of Russia.
The web site is pms.orthodoxy.ru

40.png
Volodymyr:
This icon is called in Ukrainian and Russian Vinogradna Loza or the wine vine. The symbolism is that from Holy Bible. There is a beautiful reproduction of this icon on a Sakkos (the liturgical garment of an Archpriest in Ukrainian Church or Russian Church) to be found at

www.days.ru/Images/im1028.htm

If you want pro-Life Icon, I can suggest the orthodox medical educational Center in Moscow which has a wonderful icon of the martyrs of Bethlehem killed by King Herod. This is the major anti-abort center in all of Russia.
The web site is pms.orthodoxy.ru

ryan,
i do not see why a latin rite priest can’t bless it.
however if by some strange reason he doesn’t, find an eastern Catholic church.

go with God!
Edwin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back