I’ve read what the Catechism says, and I’ve read things from St. Teresa, and I have Googled the subject endlessly, but I can’t seem to find a clear definition of contemplation.
From what I understand, vocal prayer is formulaic prayer, like saying a Hail Mary. Mental prayer is more carrying on an informal conversation with God. Contemplation is still something I don’t understand, though.
Anyone have a clear definition for me? Thanks in advance.
Contemplation is hard to define, as are the highest forms of love - and for the same reason. Both are experiences and realities of union - the union of two in a oneness that does not negate or dissolve either one, yet is a new oneness of two.
Your definitions of other forms of prayer, I would revise.
Vocal prayer includes both formula prayer (Our Father, Hail Mary, …) and spontaneous prayer (prayer uttered and offered from the heart and mind in one’s own words).
Mental prayer, or discursive meditation, is the engagement of the mind with revealed Truth of God, for the purpose of knowing God, in order to love God, in order to live God - to serve Him in this world, and in the next. (There are “grades” of meditation - affective prayer grows out of discursive meditation; the prayer of simplicity grows out of affective prayer. The prayer of simplicity is also called ‘acquired contemplation’, and other names as well - but this is radically different from infused contemplation described below.)
Vocal prayer and meditation are grades of ascetical prayer - prayer that can be done with ordinary grace, the grace available to all believers.
(Infused) Contemplation is ‘mystical’ prayer; it is beyond ascetical prayer. It is a grade of prayer, of union and of love, that requires a new act of God in the soul - new, extraordinary grace is needed. In (infused) contemplation the union of prayer, the union with God in love, is experienced in a radically new, deeper, more personal and more intimate and complete way. (Infused) Contemplation is not what we can do - God must initiate this - but it is our part to prepare, to wait, and to receive with a fully open and obedient heart.
Here is a link that can help:
Spiritual Theology - Grades of Prayer
I hope this can help. It is so very important to see that prayer in intended to grow! God is calling us into a deeper, more intimate and more personal relationship with Him, in prayer
and in life.
fide