I need an advice because I am struggling

• Thread starter Thread starter funnyname
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

funnyname

Could you help me?

I listened to the lectures about modesty in dress for women (should not wear short and very tight pants like leggings, sleeveless tops,…).

I get an offer to work as an assistant for the director at a garment factory. They make sportswear for brands like kappa, decathlon,…

So they are obviously making very short shorts, short tops, and leggings.

Is it a sin to work for them?

I think a lot but I don’t know what to do. It is good to work there, but my heart tells me it is a sin. Actually I am really sick with the thought.

Thank you. I know I am stupid. But please help

So they are obviously making very short shorts, short tops, and leggings.

Is it a sin to work for them?

I think a lot but I don’t know what to do. It is good to work there, but my heart tells me it is a sin. Actually I am really sick with the thought.

Thank you. I know I am stupid.
This is the type of post that will get me kicked off of CAF, but I’ll try anyway.
Think of our blessed Lord - His purity, His integrity, His innocence, His Justice.
We all have to stand before Him at the end. Even the saints trembled at the thought.
Now think about yourself, dressed in those clothes, standing before God. What kind of reverence and respect are we showing to Him?
At that time, there will be no excuses, no covering up our intentions. Why did we do what we did? We cannot hide.
You are not stupid.
Your heart told you something. You want to go to heaven, you want to live a good life.
We live for heaven, not the pleasures of earth.
God can be a very strict judge.
Most Catholics today deny that, but they are lying to themselves and they know nothing about the perfection and purity of God.

I listened to the lectures about modesty in dress for women (should not wear short and very tight pants like leggings, sleeveless tops,…).
The lecturers might be right, or they might be wrong. Maybe they overstated their case. We don’t know. In any case, they weren’t talking about earning your living in the garment industry, were they?

Good luck in your new job!

Thank you a lot. They make sportswear. Obviously it includes coats, normal clothings and clothes people wearing to gym.
It is not a must for me to work for them. Because I don’t need to support anyone. And I can find another job later.
I love your answer. It gives me the courage to do the right thing.
I don’t want to risk my soul (maybe this case some years in Purgatory) for money.

And I can find another job later.
I love your answer. It gives me the courage to do the right thing.
I don’t want to risk my soul (maybe this case some years in Purgatory) for money.
You are wise to think this way.
Our Lord will find you a much better job where you will be free in your conscience and do a lot of good.
Many souls go to hell because of those fashions - men and women suffer from it. I’m grateful you are turning away from such things.

Thanks a lot. Be encouraged to always tell the truth. Many people will need your sound advice. God bless you.

No. You are not stupid.

What you can discern is if you will have to wear this sort of clothes. because it is not inherently sinfull to make a leggins for eg. You are not responsible of how people would wear it.

My opinion is there is no sin in working in it. It seems a great opportunity. The only limit would be your own unconfort (if you can’t get out of it).

There is no sin in working in a factory that makes sportswear. Some people might wear it immodestly, that’s on them. Sportswear isn’t intrinsically evil. There would be no sin in working in a firearms plant, even if some of those guns would be used for murders. There’s nothing disordered about the object itself, it’s all in how it’s used.

It would be very unwise for you to quit your job for this reason. God gave us faith, but he also gave us reason, and it isn’t reasonable to quit your job on this basis. If you are willing to do that, you’ll soon find there isn’t any job you could take, since there’s the possibility that someone, somewhere might do something immoral with the fruits of your labor. But that’s not your fault if they do. If it were, nobody could morally do anything. I couldn’t even say Mass and distribute communion, someone just might receive unworthily. But it wouldn’t be my fault, it would be on them.

-Fr ACEGC

There is no sin in working in a factory that makes sportswear. Some people might wear it immodestly, that’s on them. Sportswear isn’t intrinsically evil. There would be no sin in working in a firearms plant, even if some of those guns would be used for murders. There’s nothing disordered about the object itself, it’s all in how it’s used.

It would be very unwise for you to quit your job for this reason. God gave us faith, but he also gave us reason, and it isn’t reasonable to quit your job on this basis. If you are willing to do that, you’ll soon find there isn’t any job you could take, since there’s the possibility that someone, somewhere might do something immoral with the fruits of your labor. But that’s not your fault if they do. If it were, nobody could morally do anything. I couldn’t even say Mass and distribute communion, someone just might receive unworthily. But it wouldn’t be my fault, it would be on them.

-Fr ACEGC
Excellent post, Father!

There are alcoholics in this world and supporting an alcoholic might very well be a sin.

However, if someone works in a beer brewery, or distribution facility, or a distillery to manufacture the product, are they sinning or directly supporting the alcoholic. No, they are going to their job.

Now if by working in that industry it draws one to sin as a result of being in close proximity to the alcohol, one might reconsider that line of work.

As long as your intent is not to go to work for the company that makes sportswear so you can begin to dress inappropriately at inappropriate times, there is nothing wrong with working for a company that makes clothes. There is nothing wrong with wearing the clothes at the appropriate time.

You are not stupid. Some people have a strong opinion about clothes. These are modesty opinions, not doctrines.

Sports and ath leisure wear is not sinful. Be at peace.

I’d think it is an interesting job!!

Now think about yourself, dressed in those clothes, standing before God. What kind of reverence and respect are we showing to Him?
If the OP was out jogging or training for decathlon or doing modern dance, and dropped dead and appeared before God in her athletic wear that was perfectly appropriate for her activity, God wouldn’t be bothered at all.

I think we all understand that one shouldnt wear short shorts and a tank top to Mass, if that’s what you meant.

Earning a living involves compromises, some of course are unacceptable, but many are ok considering the big picture. Ideally your employer would be producing attire which is more modest, but I think as a Catholic one can accept this less-than-ideal situation.

I love your answer.
I would heed our priest @edward_george1‘s response.

-Fr ACEGC

Last edited:
Thanks all for your comment.
I think I should update on this.
I turned down the offer and I feel so relieved. Before that I was so burdened and worried.
After I turned down the offer, some other places gave me job offers. I don’t know the job is good or bad but at least I don’t feel guilty about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back