I need emergency help on The Little Office of The Blessed Virgin Mary! PLEASE

• Thread starter Thread starter dumspirospero
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dumspirospero

**Ok…let me just start off by saying that I have the most current copy of The Little Office…the one with the blue cover, printed by Catholic Book Publishing Co. in 1988…it is a breeze…very reader friendly and I pray it daily…however, I recently acquired a copy of The Little Office wiht a red cover, Printed by St. Bonaventure Publications in 1999, but it is an exact copy of a 1904 Benzinger Brothers edition, which is obviously pre-Vat II…it has both English and Latin. The problem is, I don’t have a clue how to pray this version of The Little Office…it is very confusing and the format is completely different. I know I am not an idiot when it comes to these things, because I can easily navigate the 4-Volume Liturgy of The Hours, etc…My question is can anyone please help me learn to pray this version of the Little Office??? Anyone experienced with this version?? Any help is much appreciated. **

Dear friend

I don’t know the version you are asking about. So sorry to be of absolutely no help at all!:o

Only thing I can suggest is that you might like to take it along to your Priest or to a Religious Sister, Nun or Brother in your Diocese and ask them to give you a hand with it. I’m sure whomever you choose of these will be very obliging.

With a prayer that God finds you someone to help you with this.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

dumspirospero said:
**Ok…let me just start off by saying that I have the most current copy of The Little Office…the one with the blue cover, printed by Catholic Book Publishing Co. in 1988…it is a breeze…very reader friendly and I pray it daily…however, I recently acquired a copy of The Little Office wiht a red cover, Printed by St. Bonaventure Publications in 1999, but it is an exact copy of a 1904 Benzinger Brothers edition, which is obviously pre-Vat II…it has both English and Latin. The problem is, I don’t have a clue how to pray this version of The Little Office…it is very confusing and the format is completely different. I know I am not an idiot when it comes to these things, because I can easily navigate the 4-Volume Liturgy of The Hours, etc…My question is can anyone please help me learn to pray this version of the Little Office??? Anyone experienced with this version?? Any help is much appreciated. **

Why is this an emergency?

Because I have a very structured prayer and this is something that it is lacking, and it really bothers me knowing I can make the time to do it and I have the book to enable me to do it…but I am just lacking the ability to do it. I really want to hurry and add this into my daily routine of prayers…that is the emergency.
40.png
mercygate:
Why is this an emergency?

40.png
dumspirospero:
Because I have a very structured prayer and this is something that it is lacking, and it really bothers me knowing I can make the time to do it and I have the book to enable me to do it…but I am just lacking the ability to do it. I really want to hurry and add this into my daily routine of prayers…that is the emergency.
No, dums. That is NOT an emergency. Chill, Dude. You’ll figure it out.

dumspirospero said:

I know exactly what you mean. I purchased Latin version of Little Office dated in late 1800’s. I’ve been googling but can’t find any information. I’ve been teaching myself Latin so all I have to do is figure out how to pray this version. Like you, I have no trouble with the newer versions, but this one is a little confusing. I think we need some info from an elderly priest pre-vatican ll. Apparently that’s where my copy came from.
Good luck on your search and if you find out, I would appreciate any help on this subject.
God bless
Joanne

How about asking Jimmy during the Q & A today on Catholic Answers Live? Maybe he can direct you to a source that could help you.

No problem…if you find anything out…please let me know…I will do the same for you.
Domine Deus:
I know exactly what you mean. I purchased Latin version of Little Office dated in late 1800’s. I’ve been googling but can’t find any information. I’ve been teaching myself Latin so all I have to do is figure out how to pray this version. Like you, I have no trouble with the newer versions, but this one is a little confusing. I think we need some info from an elderly priest pre-vatican ll. Apparently that’s where my copy came from.
Good luck on your search and if you find out, I would appreciate any help on this subject.
God bless
Joanne

I hate to ask the obvious, but why not just get a more modern version?

40.png
dumspirospero:
Where I come from we call that the OCD emergency. I’m O. Carm myself and cannot see your emergency. 😃

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Odd, i think the older version is easier to use. At any rate, this version of the Little Office operates like any other Latin Rite pre-VII office. What specific problems are you having with it? If it has to do with when to say the Antiphons, and how much of the antiphons to use, find a St Joseph’s Missal that explains the festal Class system-that deals directly with the question, since the entrance verse and the antiphons from the office work the same way. The Antiphons are said only before and after the psalm(s). Otherwise, there are plenty of rubrics to get you along interculated into the texts (the italic texts).

In Christ,
Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back