I need scholarly resources for a persuasive speech I am working on for my public speaking class

• Thread starter Thread starter JamesJr
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JamesJr

I am going to argue for the orthodox (small o) historicity of Christ. I want to find scholarly articles on New Testament reliability as a collection of historical documents. Other scholarly articles related to this topic are also appreciated.

Last edited:
I thought it would be okay to be pointed in the direction of sources. But you make a good point. I’m not trying to cheat though. I hope I didn’t appear to be doing that.

Hmm, which perspective do you want it from? The so called “Christ of History”, or the “Christ of faith”, who IS the Christ of history.

The Christ of faith. This is why one of my goals in my speech is to give strong evidence that the New Testament is a reliable, accurately historical collection of documents. For example, I’m going to use the criterion of embarrassment in part of my defense of the New Testament.

You might want to read “The Case for Jesus”, by Dr Brant Pitre.

This book looks like a great, scholarly resource, plus it is succinct. Thank you for the recommendation

See what databases your library has available. Academic Search Complete is a good multidisciplinary source. ATLA is a religion database that might be helpful. Historical Abstracts is another database you can try.

Okay. Thank you for the advice. I can also use this to look at opposing scholary articles so that my research is fair

You really need to do your own work and not ask other people to do your research for you.

I wish my history professor had told me this instead of telling me sources I could read and leaving me with the impression it is okay to interact with other people to find sources. I request no one answer this post anymore. I will only interact with academics from now on.

He gave you sources because he is your professor. That’s what he does, gets you pointed in the right direction. I doubt he meant for you to come on the internet and ask. @SuscipeMeDomine has given the kind of answer I think your professor is suggesting other people can help you with.

He gave me titles and scholars. And he is not my teacher for the class this assignment is for. By your logic in your first post to this thread, he did research for me.

But as I was talking about before, I will only get this help from professors from now on. I won’t ask the same question to other people who are not professors if it is wrong.

Professors will always try and help you find information, because they’re there to help you. If you asked this professor to give you ideas, of course they would point out some things you may want to look at. But finding articles yourself is hugely important, and being able to discern what information is useful and what isn’t is - it’s a life skill. Asking for help isn’t wrong at all, but the bulk of the work you do needs to be your work, from your own effort and time 🙂

I will be doing the reading, summarizing, and synthesizing into a coherent public speech. I’ll be more individual next time I do research, but I’m not going to write off consulting with others (only academics now however) because I see it as a form of conducting research. I still have to discern the sources they point me to.

What you could do next time is start out on your own, and then, if you are not satisfied or you come to an impasse, reach out.

Then, when you ask for help on a forum like this, show us your progress so far. Tell what references you’ve found, maybe some findings, and ask more specifically for the help you need at that point, like where you’re stuck or what you’re missing.

As @Lou2U wrote just above, learning how to find references is a hugely important skill, particularly if you want to do anything truly new.

But as I was talking about before, I will only get this help from professors from now on. I won’t ask the same question to other people who are not professors if it is wrong.
Librarians can also be helpful. Take advantage of their expertise in helping you figure out where to search and what strategies might work best. We don’t bite. 🙂

Okay, I am reviving this because I am interested in getting more titles on this subject out of interest rather than for a class. I ended up doing my speech on a different topic. Also, I want to apologize to @Irishmom2 . I was kind of rude to you in my response; I truly am sorry. Both you and @Lou2U are right about me needing to do research by myself. I do need to become better at it for my college work. I am usually more so independent in my schoolwork, but perhaps I overstepped trying to be more interactive with people for academic purposes. Also, I am open to title recommendations from skeptics/non-believers that offer response to my side because it is important to study both sides of a topic.

Last edited:
If you want read the alternate side of the historicity of Jesus the best one out there arguing for the Christ Myth theory is On the Historicity of Jesus and Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt by Richard Carrier. There are also a good number of titles that debunk his theory so you can get a balance view of the problems and solutions to this theory.

Edit to add: Richard Carriers book uses a lot of Bayes Theorem to statistically support his arguments…all of that can be ignored and just read the arguments instead. I personally think Bayes can be used in history to get any result you desire.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back