I want God and the Church, but I have questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter speyres1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

speyres1

Guest
Hi, I’m Sean.

I hope this is the right place to share this. I apologize if it’s quite a bit long.

I want God, I want Christ, I want the Church, but I have so many questions, especially of the philosophical type.

I was baptized and educated to be a Catholic by my non-observant parents. Even from the age of around 6 or 7 I didn’t understand why one of the major “rules” of Christian practice is to go to church every Sunday, yet we never went. I remember when I was about 12 my mom told a basketball coach from a local public junior high that she would not send me there because she valued Catholic education so much.

I didn’t take my faith seriously until about senior year of high school. I had a car, I was an adult, and I couldn’t refute the resurrection theories presented in theology class. I took it quite seriously. I went to mass alone at least twice a week, confession and adoration frequently, I bought all kinds of items: a crucifix, a scapular, rosaries, books, posters, etc.

But it all fell apart after about, 5 months. I would get extremely anxious during Church, and even though I was amongst many, I felt incredibly lonely, and it was terrifying. During Mass the same sort of questions would pop into my head repeatedly…:

If God knew that Satan would fall, that Adam and Eve would commit the original sin, that he would have to sacrifice himself, and that so many people would choose to reject him, why did he create anything at all? As something to entertain himself with? For selfish worship? Do we really have free will? I don’t know if I truly buy into the idea of “God is the watcher of our actions but we still choose them.” I don’t see how He could be this all-loving and all-knowing creator if he knew all of this would happen…

What happens to the unfaithful after they die? Let’s take my own father for example… I absolutely love and adore my father. He raised me well, provides for our family, remains loyal to his wife, and keeps his mind sharp. He’s my role model. However, he’s a non-observant Catholic so of course, he has mortally sinned. Is he doomed? And beyond that, if I were to somehow get to heaven, and my father was not there, how could I experience perfect joy? I would never see him for eternity. I definitely think Heaven would be a lot better with him, but I don’t want a faith that says everyone receives the joy of heaven.

Does prayer do anything at all? Soren Kierkegaard, I believe, claimed that prayer does not change God but instead changes the believer. But why do we ask for God to help us or for Mary to pray for us “now and at the hour of our death”? If God already knows what’s going to happen, that fact that we were gonna pray, the outcome of whatever we need help with, or our destination after death, then why do we so often pray like that? What’s the point? Are we lying to ourselves?

What about the idea that God “forgets our sins” after we confess them? What does that even mean? He knows everything doesn’t he? How could he just, forget?

I hope you all can help me.

I want Christ, but it seems too irrational to believe.

Thank you
 
There is so much here but to answer 2 of your questions:

One is that God in his Providence gave us all free will. So even though he knew people could choose hell he still chose to create us out of nothing at our conception and gave us all free will.

Two is that we don’t know where people’s hearts are. Only God knows. So your father may have repented by a perfect act of contrition if he was in a state of mortal sin and could go to heaven. Prayer for those in purgatory are important. You would still be happy in heaven if your father was in hell because you would have joy in God’s justice and mourn sinners.

You have to put in the work and get your questions answered so you can have peace.
 
Last edited:
To one of your questions, I’ll answer with a question: How could we ever truly know the depth of the love and grace of God if God the Father didn’t send God the Son to die and bear His wrath for our sins? Another way to say it: could we ever know the depths of good, if we never knew the pit of wickedness?
And as others have said, we don’t know a persons heart or their repentance. And we don’t know what the future holds for the person who is living in unrepentant sin. None of us should place the judgment of hell on someone until the last judgment.
Thirdly, God wants us to pray to change our hearts, for God already knows what we need. Pray is our way of drawing close to God, by talking to Him. And pray does work. God still answers prayers even though He knows the future. It seems as if you have a sort of fatalist worldview creeping forward. I would recommend reading the Catechism about God’s Providence.
Fourth, the “forget our sins” passages aren’t literal. They are a metaphor for that explains that once our sins are absolved God will never recall them again to us, it’s as if he has “forgotten” them. Scripture isn’t always literal.

You’re last sentence seems as if you have made up your mind:
I want Christ, but it seems too irrational to believe.
read Thomas Aquinas work the Summae Theologicae. It will explain the rationality behind all the Christian worldview probably better than anyone here could. But you said so yourself that Resurrection was impossible to disprove, which it truly is. If anything, take heart and faith in the Resurrection, which that in itself proves all the rest of the Faith. If Christ was raised, all he said was true and validated, therefore was Jesus said at Matthew 16 about Peter being the rock on which Christ would build His Church, that Peter would have the keys to the kingdom of Heaven and that the gates of hell would never prevail against God’s church. All this is true if Jesus is raised. And since God is God, then all God reveal would be rational, even if we can’t fully understand it. Like It says in Scripture:
“For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts”.
But I would recommend reading Thomas Aquinas works and slowly work through the problems he answers.

Hope this helps, God bless brother, you are in my prayers!
 
Last edited:
If you look at your interactions with God in the context of relationship with a Person you love, why not tell Him the things you need? In your other relationships, do you only talk about new and original ideas? Of course not! You re-tread old things and it’s perfectly okay. 🙂
 
Your questions make me think you need to work on your faith. Go to adoration and pray with an open heart. Faith is a gift.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top