I want to be a married priest

• Thread starter Thread starter heliumspark
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

heliumspark

I am a Roman Catholic, and I am married, but I want to become a priest in an Eastern rite. How do I do that?

Well, you would first have to transfer to an Eastern Rite and forego your Latin membership. But that should really be done only for serious reasons where you would feel drawn to that rite, anyway, and not merely in the hope of getting ordained a priest. Indeed, you might manage to be approved for the transfer (not an easy task in and of itself), then still not get ordained.

I wannabee a priest is not a criterion for discerning a vocation, there is a whole lot more to it than that. time for some spiritual direction, my friend.

40.png
heliumspark:
I am a Roman Catholic, and I am married, but I want to become a priest in an Eastern rite. How do I do that?
The transfer into an Eastern rite church is not difficult at all. It happens to seem intimidating from the outset, but it is really simple. It requires more patience than anything else. 😃

First of all it makes no sense whatsoever to become Eastern unless you understand and embrace the spirituality. We really don’t need any more priests that think like Roman Catholics, we are struggling to restore our churches.

So if one does understand the Eastern theology (I presume you do, but some people reading this will not), or is familiar enough to want to learn, one should join an eastern parish and participate for a year or so (in some places the bishop will want this for three years) and then petition the bishop to accept you by writing a letter to him.

Your parish priest can help you with the letter, but it is my experience that the priest will not suggest it, you must ask. The reasoning seems to be that the Eastern churches will not under any circumstance proselytize from sister Catholic churches, they expect the same respect from Roman Catholic priests.

Eastern churches feel vulnerable in Western countries because there are actually too few in most geographical areas and the Eastern believers are sometimes forced to worship in Roman churches (or other Eastern churches) out of necessity. Between that situation and the ever more likely prospect of mixed marriages every generation sees significant numbers of members become almost inaccessible and are in danger of being absorbed into the BIG church. Canon Law will not permit the Roman church to poach members from the East even if they attend the Western church all of their lives, they have to ask for the transfer going that way too and it is even less likely to be approved.

If there is no local Eastern parish you could still join a parish quite a distance away, it is not uncommon for Easterners to drive two or three hours to reach parishes like mine, they make a day of it actually because it means so much to them. People like that cannot be there every week so they will fill in with communion and confessions at a more local Catholic church.

After diligently supporting your parish, participating in events when possible, confessing and communing there for a year or so the letter can be written, it goes to the receiving bishop, if he approves and wishes to accept you he will sign off on the letter and forward that letter to your Latin rite bishop, who must also approve and sign. If both do so, the approval of the Vatican can be presumed (according to current practice). Up until not that long ago (15 years I think) all such cases were referred to Rome, but Rome has decided that the local bishops should deal with it.

One final word, if you give anyone the impression that you only want to transfer because you feel that you have a vocation to the priesthood you cannot satisfy as a Latin you will be denied. If you state anything negative in your letter concerning the church you wish to leave behind you will be denied the transfer.

There is no real obstacle to your seeking ordination after you actually transfer, but you really need to be committed to the theology and spirituality of your new spiritual home.

Another final, final word: My church (Byzantine-Ruthenian) is wonderful, but small. There is no money for grants and scholarships as one might find in some dioceses of the Roman church. We pay our own way, for a married couple (we currently have just one in the seminary) it is a real hardship.

Good luck and God Bless you on your journey!

But you already are. 1Peter ch 2 vs 5 You too are living stones,built as an edifice of spirit, into a holy priesthood,offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 👍

Ok,

so you are the only priest in your parish of 2000. Your child gets sick and your wife is out of town and it is Sunday morning. Do you stay home and care for your sick child, and make 2000 people miss mass/eucharist/confession or do you abandon your child for your congregation? How do you determine what is more important? One always has to come first while the other suffers. So either you will be an awful dad, or an awful priest, take your pick.

Seven Sorrows:
Ok,

so you are the only priest in your parish of 2000. Your child gets sick and your wife is out of town and it is Sunday morning. Do you stay home and care for your sick child, and make 2000 people miss mass/eucharist/confession or do you abandon your child for your congregation? How do you determine what is more important? One always has to come first while the other suffers. So either you will be an awful dad, or an awful priest, take your pick.
It is comments like this that really bother us Byzantine Catholics here as the married priesthood has always been part of our Tradition.

And let us not forget the many converts to the Roman Church that have been ordained as married men.

A married priest and his wife would not have the situtation you speak of. What of the parishioners? Might they not help father out when his wife is away and they know he has young children at home?

It is very easy to throw up strawman arguments.

There are other issues that are real that need to be looked at as Hesychios pointed out in some in his reply.

This is one of the issues I am looking into, the financial side as well as how small our church (the Byzantine Ruthenian) really is. Can I really do what I feel called to do there? and then there is my on going feeling that I am called to religious life and community.

This is why I am considering the Carmelites.

I know I am to be celibate so the married priesthood is not an issue with me.

I would just like to say what has been said. Wanting to be a priest, while part of the discernment of a vocation, it is not the only part. Being a latin catholic and being married would just about be an answer, there is no call there but as Hesychios said, you can start attending a Byzantine parish.

Like he said, you will need to be a participant there for up to 3 years and then if the bishop accepts you, you may have to wait another 3 to 5 years before you can enter the seminary.

It won’t be easy moneywise, as while you are in the seminary (the bishop will most likely pay for the seminary but you will be in debt to him afterwards for at least half of it) you will not be allowed to work.

And what about your wife? Does she want to be a priest’s wife? If not then I doubt any bishop would accept you. I believe that she will have to go though some interviews. Do you have any children? Do they want to be children of a priest?

There is a lot to consider.

Hmmm… just a generalization, it sounds like the Easterns are being supportive, and the Latins discouraging.

I have another idea. Since it would take so long, anyway, to get into the seminary, I have a lot of time to think this over. I will probably get some books on Eastern spirituality (and any recommendations are welcome), and look into the rites a little deeper. I understand now that it would be wrong to change rites just to flout the rules of my own, but I will do some research and maybe change rites anyway if I like one of the Eastern ones better.

Then, in 15 years, when I retire, if I still want to be a priest, I will be in a better position to do it.

Dear friend

Pray on this. Pray and pray and pray and when you think you have prayed enough, keep praying some more, take your time and pray. (Also pray before the Blessed Sacrament , but pray to the Holy Spirit for discernment)…Pray!

I will pray for you.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

What about looking into the diaconate program? Deacons do many of the things priests do.

Peace!

:blessyou:

40.png
heliumspark:
Don’t know. I think the Orthodox Churches, their Priests can be married. Call one near your home and see

Blessings~

40.png
heliumspark:
Hmmm… just a generalization, it sounds like the Easterns are being supportive, and the Latins discouraging.

I have another idea. Since it would take so long, anyway, to get into the seminary, I have a lot of time to think this over. I will probably get some books on Eastern spirituality (and any recommendations are welcome), and look into the rites a little deeper. I understand now that it would be wrong to change rites just to flout the rules of my own, but I will do some research and maybe change rites anyway if I like one of the Eastern ones better.

Then, in 15 years, when I retire, if I still want to be a priest, I will be in a better position to do it.
I think that is an excellent attitude.

I just read where a 71 year old man was ordained a priest, he is a father and grandfather.

Clearly age is no obstacle if one is determined, however the earlier the better.

Most of the Eastern Catholic churches have a similar spirituality, (it is the latin church that has the most unique theology and practice) so you will do well with a lot of recommendations I can make

Read the Face of God by Archbishop Joseph Raya, and please pray for him, he is aging and not doing well right now. He resides at Madonna House in Canada.

Also read the Orthodox Way by bishop Kallistos Ware, this was first recommended to me when I began to attend a Byzantine Catholic parish.

Also Eastern Christian Spirituality by Tomas Spidlik SJ, now a Cardinal the man is a master, but I found the book to be a slow read.

All of these should be available from Amazon, just do a query.

I am currently reading The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church by Vladimir Lossky and I find it excellent, but I would read one of the above three first in order to get a good grounding or overview.

God help you. God protect your wife. Talk to married priests to find out how is difficult - little money, little time. Great blessing

To talk to such priests in Ukrainian Catholic Church in America, contact Father Andriy Chirovsky and Father Peter Galazda (both married) at St. Paul University in Ottawa at Sheptytsky Institute. Try to enroll at Institute or at new Ukrainian Catholic Univeristy in Lviv if you do still desire priest life.

web.ustpaul.uottawa.ca/Sheptytsky/Faculty.html

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Hello Heliumspark,

I just realized you live in southern California, this is your lucky day! :ehh:

Check this out.

And for a little more general info, it is always useful to read CNEWA.
http://www.byzcath.org/images/Church12.jpg
You might want to visit this small monastery in Newberry Springs. We are rebuilding our monastic tradition and this fledgeling house is known and respected thoughout the United States. My own pastor in Illinois has been there for a retreat, you may wish to consider a retreat at some point too.

And last, but certainly not least, a parish in your area you may visit for yourself, get a taste of the liturgy and soak in a little of the spirituality.

My prayers for you and yours!

http://www.holyprotection.org/images/virgin_mary01.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back