I want to be an Oblate

• Thread starter Thread starter sharonvanecek
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sharonvanecek

I am a married woman and a nurse, I desire more spirituality in my life and sometime think about what life would be as a cloistered sister or monk ( which being a woman I could not be) I am considering joining the Oblates which I believe stress work and prayer and do not plan to change your work, whereever and what ever you do. no matter how mundane or routine, it is to be done as prayer. Does anyone know any Oblates in the Chicago area. Is anyone out there an oblate? If so, can you tell me what you do.

Glory to Jeus Christ!

I will offer you three options.

St Procopius Abbey of the American-Cassinese Congregation, Lisle Illlinois has an Oblate program locally at the Abbey and in a few other locations out of state. In Lisle they meet on the second Sunday of the month. I believe this is most convenient for you because you can drive north on rte 53 and I-355 and get there as fast as I can.

I find them very casual, but an eager bunch. One makes friends very easily there.

Contact Father David Turner
chipmonk@megsinet.net

The Monastery of the Holy Cross of the Subiaco Congregation has a small active and devout Oblate program, they meet on the first and third Sundays. They are located at 31st and Aberdeen in Chicago.

I think father Peter Funk or brother Edward Glanzman has charge of the oblates, they are very likeable.
chicagomonk@earthlink.net

Marmion Abbey of the Swiss-American Congregation also has an oblate program. They are located in Aurora Illinois, at the north end. I know much less about these.
Brother Jude is the oblate director.

http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/stb02002.jpg

If you are referring to Oblates of St. Benedict, seek out the nearest Benedictine Monastery and ask if they have lay oblates associated with them. There are several in your part of the country. We participate in formation for one year under the direction of the sisters (or monks) and after making our oblation, or promise (not vows) of stability, fidelity and hospitality, we join a deanery of other oblates. We are all lay people, working, retired or homemakers, most have some apostolate or ministry in the Church. We meet monthly for prayer, a meal, and planning for our service to the monastery.

Here in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas there are about 50 of us and our major service has been to help get the new monastery of the Good Shepherd built and furnished, and to support the sisters there. They are active in evangelization and pro-life activities. Our spirituality is based on the Rule of St. Benedict, applied to daily life in the world, the Liturgy of the Hours, and lectio divina–reading, meditation, prayer and contemplation based on sacred scriptue.

How does being an oblate work for a married person, especially when the other spouse isn’t one or even not the least interested in furthering the spiritual life?

40.png
Augustine:
How does being an oblate work for a married person, especially when the other spouse isn’t one or even not the least interested in furthering the spiritual life?
One studies the Rule daily, and adapts ones life as best as one can.

It is common for one person to become an Oblate, while the other does not. That’s OK. In a married state the family is the higher calling and we take the Rule as best we can and use what works.

It isn’t much different to rise a little earlier to pray than it is to rise earlier to fix breakfast.

From my limited exposure to these things most people married to Oblates are very supportive and take steps to make it possible for their mate. Oblates get a lot of respect in their families if they don’t allow it to change their personalities.

A layperson remains a layperson after becoming an Oblate. Hopefully they develop their own interior spirituality and adapt the Rule of St Benedict to their own situation, sharing the spirituality with the community around them. One need not place a great burden on the family other than setting some practical limits (as anyone would).

After all, if we were to return to school we would expect a little quiet time to study. If we became scout leaders we would expect to give up some evenings for that. Being an Oblate should not be a big burden on the family or the Oblate.

40.png
Augustine:
i have been a Benedictine oblate for 3 years, and my husband is not the least bit interested in joining, his spirituality is very private to him. He does sit in for eveneing prayer when we have the deanery meeting at my house, but finds our reading and discussion boring. I has however been very helpful and supportive of the sisters and the monastery and has gone out of his way to do several things for them. Several of those involved participate without their spouses, although there are also several married couples who come together. The commitment is not that demanding or time consuming that it takes away from family obligations, rather, it gives us a firm foundation for dedicating our homes and work lives as well as apostolate within the Church, to God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back